Consumer Reviews of Central Boiler wood furnaces

#26  of 28 brands of wood furnaces

Read more about Central Boiler wood furnaces

Read reviews of other Wood Furnace brands

Date created: 2012-02-27 Location: Chagrin Falls, OH

"Central Boiler Outdoor Furnace Summary and Review"
I built my house in late 2002 so I have owned my outdoor furnace. I bought a Central Boiler as we were building our home, so this unit has been our only source of heat since we started living here. I our previous home we had electric heat and what I could not stand that though my thermostat may read 70 degrees, the house felt like an ice box because the electric heater just lacked the power to heat the home elements. What I mean is that the air was warm, but everything you touched was freezing. The floors were cold, walls, etc. In transition, we rented a propane heated home which did not have this problem and the difference is incredible. The ambiance and "home" feeling becomes so much more enjoyable when your home is warm. The reason I mention this is because our wood furnace creates this powerful heat that heats the house and everything in it. I have had maintenance repairs, but nothing out of the ordinary. A local shop is the people who convinced me to buy and the same guy has always done my maintenance and has been a real pleasure. Personable, efficient and quick! For all outdoor furnaces I imagine this can be a common complaint; I don't stock it right and it smokes: neighbors complain. It's really cold in NE Ohio and even colder at four am stocking a furnace. Other than that I love the unit! Make sure your can handle these things, have a constant supply of wood, and the unit is cost effective to an excellent degree and you will love it. Great unit, never had abnormal trouble with my Central Boiler, would suggest to friend anytime.

Date created: 2012-02-13 Location: Morgantown, KY

"Keeping my home warm"
We bought the furnace (Boiler) about a year ago with our refund check, we enjoy it immensely, it has done a fabulous job keeping the workshop warm and cozy, there is a little extra work with it which can sometimes be a pain in the butt, especially on those bitterly cold days. You do have to maintenance it almost daily, which you don't have to do with a central system, but the cost is so much cheaper in the long run. For that reason alone it is very well worth the maintenance. I would say, on average, we have saved almost 1,000 just this year alone. So far, we have not had to do any repairs to it. I would recommend it to any of my friends who have enough time on their hands for the maintenance. If you do not have the time for the mainenance, the machine will pretty much be useless. You won't get the heat you need and will probably have many costly repairs.

Date created: 2012-01-27 Location: Newton, New Jersey

"Central Boiler Best Around"
I have had my Central Boiler Classic wood furnace for a year and a half and love it. After last year's winter, I knew it was time to invest in a new wood furnace, and I have been very satisfied with my choice. I have never had to repair mine but I have read reviews in which customers have had to have repairs done. Most complaints have been about the spark plug, which though important, is quite an easy fix. I have had no such issues with the spark plug. Other issues have also been reported but none of which I have also had happen. That could possibly be due to rough handling, but I have no complaints about mine thus far. I would defiantly recommend and buy from Central Boiler again for my wood furnace needs.

Date created: 2012-01-24 Location: Midland, MI

"I love my Central Boiler"
I've owned my wood furnace for about three years, and I can't say how much I love it. The heater keeps my house as warm as I want, and during the winter I crank the heat up both for myself, and to grow seedlings to plant later in the year. I love that it's an external unit from the house. There's no smoke inside at all, and no risk of fire in the house. If I had to pick something to dislike it would be the amount of work that goes into maintaining it and having a supply of wood. Right now my brother and father help to cut wood, stack it, and bring it up to the house along with me. This takes a lot of time, and for some reason the Boiler seems to be going through more wood than usual. In addition to amount of wood necessary, cleaning out the ashes occasionally is a chore. We have to scoop the ashes out and put them in a garbage bin, then carry or drag the big far away from the house and dump it out. It is not a huge deal, simply a small inconvenience. I love how the Boiler allows me to live totally off the power grid if I really wanted too, it is another step towards total independence.

Date created: 2012-01-18 Location: Ann Arbor, MI

"Central boiler outdoor wood boiler"
I've owned the Classic Model outdoor wood furnace for about 4 years now and it's still running great. This piece of equipment has required very little maintenance, aside from the cleaning which has been minimal (I was even able to do this myself). I love being able to provide my family with heat from natural, local, and renewable resources. As a bonus, chopping wood for the furnace gives me down time to think and also provides me with great exercise. The reliability of this machine was a major factor in my purchase, as I value being self-sufficient in any way possible. The upfront cost seemed like a lot at first, but we are saving a ton of money using a non-traditional method of heating our home. I am very grateful to my friend who made this recommendation to me, I would not have considered this otherwise. I would definitely recommend this product, or possibly a more expensive model for larger homes.

Date created: 2012-01-13 Location: Lewiston, Me

"Flawless Burner"
I have owned my outdoor furnace for about three months. I like the color and look of it, as well as the efficient heat. It reminds me of my grandfather's indoor wood burner. The only thing I don't like about it is having to hire someone to clean it. I was told by a close friend that they blow up if not carefully cared for. I have hired a chimney sweep/repairman to inspect and clean it within the last month. I would definitely recommend this to a friend, never had a problem.

Date created: 2011-12-22 Location: Mount Pleasant, MI

"A review of my Central Boiler wood furnace"
I have owned my furnace for about a year now and I must say it is fantastic. The simplicity of use paired with the overall saving from using wood instead of electricity or propane to heat my home is a sure fire win in my eyes. Obviously, no one likes to trudge through the deep snow in order to stock the furnace, but the relativity close proximity to my back porch makes it tolerable. I believe that I have found a brand in which I will happily invest in for many years to come. There are newer models being released all the time, and I am almost excited for the day that we will get an upgrade. I would willingly recommend the E-Classic series to anyone and everyone. If its comfort you seek at a price that makes it hard not to compete with Central Boiler has you covered. And what more could you really ask for?

Date created: 2011-11-29 Location: Mount Pleasant, MI

"Heating has never been such a breeze."

Date created: 2011-11-27 Location: Sammamish

"Outdoor Wood Furnace Review"
I have owned my E-Classic 2300 for a couple months. I do like the massive insulated chimney coming out the top of the furnace. The blank colour also fits in well with my house which is white. I also like how big the fire box is as it has a large door and hull to put large pieces of wood in at once. I do not like the FireStar Controller as it is really hard to use in the night and during winter. I did have to repair it once when my kids killed a ball into the insulated chimney knocking it off. I then had to pay to get it repaired. It was rather annoying as I had only bought it the a couple months ago. After the ball accident I am not sure if I approve of this brand anymore. Originally I had bought it through recommendation of a friend who had the same model as me. I would look for a different brand in the future.

Date created: 2011-11-19 Name: W Perry
Location: Truxton N.Y.

"great when it works"
When the boiler works it is very clean and burns less wood than others. I have had the boiler for one and a half season and in that time we have had the air values fail, by pass door fail, the main electric box burn up,gas value fail, main blower fail on the coldest night of the year and last but not least when we cleaned it this spring we found a hole in the fire box. When we tried to get it welded we found that the fire box had failed as well it has at least ten holes. There is water treatment in the water and it look like it is bad steel as it is failing from the fire side. There is a big sign on the side of the boiler that say 25 year warranty, but the truth is that there is just 10 years on the fire box and that is for the parts only. To have it fixed by central boiler it will cost $4800 for a boiler that cost $13000 two years ago. With all the things that has happened I wish they would make a visit to my hone and find a fare fix to this. For now we are using electric and hoping for help.