Consumer Reviews of State water heaters

Read more about State water heaters

Date created: 2012-11-30 Name: G. Wade
Location: Ashburn, Va

"State Select is Awful Stay away"
My water heater goes down after 4 years, my plumber troubleshoots the problem but won't offer any help because they claim the vent is 1' longer than recommended. They would not even sell me the part. Funny thing is that it was their recommended contractor that did the install who also would not stand behind his work. Seems like these guys are made for another. Anyhow, save yourself the headache and expense and try something else.

Date created: 2012-11-28 Name: Ross
Location: Manistee, MI

"50 Gal electric"
This electric hot water heater was installed on Feb 22, 1989. It's starting to be a little slow in the recovery area. I don't know about the quality of State now, but my experience with a my water heater that has lasted almost 24 years tells me they made a good product at one time.

Date created: 2012-11-09 Name: J Sampson
Location: CA

"Worst Heater Ever"
I purchased a State Water Heater 2 years ago and it has already failed! I am now out several more thousand dollars and State is not honoring their 10 year warranty. Two different plumbers told me they make horrible products. Do not buy their heaters!

Date created: 2012-10-26 Name: K Scharf
Location: Frederick, MD

"DO NOT BUY THESE WATER HEATERS"
I have a State 75 gallon water heater and I will never buy one again. My water heater stopped working this morning and when I called a plumber out to fix it, I found out that there was a recall on my model. More importantly, the entire inside of my water heater is burned because of a Manufacturer - State - defect. The burner flashed back into the body of the water heater and burned the inside of the heater, the outside gas control module, and the values. I am very, very lucky that my entire house didn't burn down because of this. Then, when I contacted State about having it fixed... 1 - It will take 3 business days just to ship me the parts; 2 - I have to have one of their contracted installers install it; and 3 - They will not reimburse me for the plumbing costs for the very nice person who came out and figured this all out for me. So, now I have no hot water for at least 4-5 days (or more since today is Friday) and then I have to pay the $300+ to the plumber who was the only person who helped me with this issue. Don't do it. Buy anything else.

Date created: 2012-10-10 Name: C ROGERS
Location: MILLSBORO DE

"VERY DISGUSTED WITH STATE WATER HEATER"
Bought this water heater 3 years ago and have had the plumber here every year and sometimes more. so far state has replaced the wire harness, the blower motor and the gas valve and still having problems. they will not replace this defective water heater. they will send new parts but now I have to pay for the labor. ii've now written a letter to the better business bureau and to the states attorney generals office. they need to give me a new water heater.

Date created: 2012-07-25 Name: T Reber
Location: Rochester, NY

"Failed in 6 weeks"
Purchased new for $810. Unit failed after 6 weeks. Had part swapped out under warranty but it still cost me $225 in labor. Went to the state website and filled out the online form for reimbursement. Never heard anything back. A week later I called, but state would not cover the $225 in labor. State used to be quality water heaters, but State has sent manufacturing to mexico and the quality is no longer there. If you like cold showers, and paying for STATE's lack of quality control, this is the brand for you.

Date created: 2012-06-29 Location: LacduFlambeau,WI

"Hot Water Always"
We have owned this 50 gallon water heater for approximately 12 years. We got it when we bought our current home. The owner said that it was fairly new at the time we purchased. The only time that we had to have it repaired was for a new igniter. That was once in the 12 years we have owned the home. It has been extremely reliable supplying us with hot water all of the time. I think only once did we have to wait for hot water and that was when we didn't know the igniter was broken. This was when the heater was about 8 years old and it was a quick and easy repair. The repairman came out and it was fixed within 15 minutes. We have been very happy with the hot water heater because it gives us hot water and we don't have to wait for it to heat up as we have had to do with other hot water heaters that we have owned. We would definitely recommend this hot water heater to a friend because it has been very reliable. We would look to buy another one in the future. It has already outlasted the one we had in our previous home. We keep it at the low end of hot. When we have guests, we turn it up a little bit and it supplies plenty of hot water for many showers, washing more dishes, washing more clothes, etc. There is nothing that we dislike about it. How can you dislike it, when you get hot water always?

Date created: 2012-05-17 Location: Atlanta, GA

"Water Heater that does the job"
I have owned a State Select water heater for 2 years and its great. I bought it when came with the house that I purchased. I have always found it to be very reliable for heating enough water to provide hot showers for the whole house. Never had any issues with it. It's easy to light. The temp control is straight forward. It's a dial with the temps laid out on it. The only downsides I can think of are that it is kind of noisy when refilling and its loud when heating. Since the heater is in a closet near the master bed room we hear it, but I would assume that most water heaters make similar noise, this is mostly bad placement on the builders part. Over all it's a nice unit with comparable features to other water heaters on the market and I will replace it with the latest model when it comes time.

Date created: 2012-02-20 Location: Rockville, Maryland

"Powerful, but not very reliable."
We had the State gas water heater installed just two months ago. Our old water heater was 20 years old and we were getting work done in the house at the time so we decided it would be a good time to change the water heater as well. The State heater is very powerful. With our previous heater the hot water would run out fairly quickly, but this one will stay hot for what seems like forever. That said, the installation and the first month were hectic. The day after the water heater was installed we had a gas leak. We had to turn the hot water off for 4 days before we could it fixed. This may have been the fault of the contractors who did the installation, so it isn't fair to place blame on the product. Two weeks after the installation an error message saying "blocked exhaust" came up. This is a brand new heater, and we had a representative from the manufacturer make sure the installation was done correctly. They ended up solving the problem but within two weeks of owning the heater we had these two issues. Another small quirk is that after taking a shower the heater will display the tank temperature about 4 degrees higher than the temperature we set the tank to be at. I'm sure there is some brilliant engineering in this product but it seems unnecessary if the heater can't be as reliable as an older product.

Date created: 2012-01-18 Location: Redding, CA

"The water from my heater heats quickly, and runs out fast."
My water heater is a gas powered energy efficient model that I've been using for 2 months. I adjusted the heat upwards out of the "energy efficient" range within a week of starting to use it. It's small. The hot water runs out in less than 15 minutes in the energy efficient range. So we increased the heat in the heater and now the water lasts longer, but if you inadvertently turn on just the hot water, you'll scald yourself. The water does reheat quickly though. If it runs out it will be full of completely heated hot water within half an hour. I would probably replace this water heater if I could. I would not recommend it to anyone who takes showers over 10 minutes long.