Comparing over 45,000 air conditioners, boilers, furnaces and heat pumps

Consumer Reviews of State water heaters

Read more about State water heaters

Date created: 2014-06-13 Name: MiTer
Location: Near Sacramento CAL

"31 years"
This water heater was made in 1983. I have had it for many years. Friday the 13th 2014 it had a small leak on the output. It had just started to get water on the floor when I noticed it. It was a 40 gal lp water heater. Maybe I got lucky or maybe they made things better 30 years ago. I think things for the first 3 decades then on Friday the 13th 2014, then it decided to retire. Hope I can find a good one, now manufacturers make things so disposable (6 year) - like a paper cup.

Date created: 2014-06-08 Name: Aaron west
Location: Florence, ky

"Satisfied with State"
I had a State water heater installed on 6/6/11 and have had no problems with it.

Date created: 2014-05-25 Name: G. Handel
Location: Eastham, Ma.

"FAILED AFTER THREE HOURS !!!"
I installed a State "Select" 40 gallon propane water heater in my summer cottage. It lasted for three whole hours ..... until the gas control valve failed. I returned the complete water heater to the plumbing supply company where I purchased it. I replaced it with an electric water heater... not the State brand! The plumbing supply company did would not give me my money back, but they did give me a new State "Select" propane water heater. Anyone want to buy a brand new (in the box) 40 gal. Propane State water heater?

Date created: 2014-05-05 Name: PThom
Location: Lincoln, NE

"Obnoxiously Loud"
This heater is horrible. I called the company and they said as long as you are getting hot water (which I am) then there is nothing they will do. It is louder than my furnace and it heats up about every 2 hours. I dread seeing my water bill. If you have a choice, DO NOT PURCHASE THIS WATER HEATER. They don't stand behind their product, they just don't care.

Date created: 2014-04-29 Name: T. Grigsby
Location: Katy, Texas

"High Cost of Ownership"
Since our purchase of the State Water Heater in 11-11-11, we have had to replace the door sensor on 8-1-12, the first Honeywell gas control valve on 5-16-13, and the second Honeywell gas control valve on 4-21-14. State has free replacement of parts for six years, but the cost to have an authorized service provider replace the three items to date is $497.18. It also seems the parts always go out on a weekend or holiday. This is my first State Water Heater and will be my last. When State was contacted by my wife, the reply was that all parts are guaranteed. Cost of ownership of this product is too high!

Date created: 2014-02-13 Name: S.Smith
Location: Boston, MA

"State Select Water Heater"
Horrible-pilot light goes out constantly. Installed in 2011. Started going out in 2012 and has not stopped since. Goes out at least once or twice a month. Sometimes 3 days in a row. No rhyme or reason. Off/on, off/on, off/on. Will need to replace. Ughhh! If you want to be tortured, buy a state select water heater.

Date created: 2014-01-22 Name: william netherland
Location: Cary, NC 27511

"Buyer beware! Less than 4 Years and major water damage"
Purchased and installed 4/19/2010, failed 1/19/2014. Thousands of dollars in damage, flooring, sheetrock, fixtures and furniture damaged or destroyed. All caused by poor workmanship, both the upper and lower heater elements were found to be loose, it blew from the lower element. Water heater was located in a upstairs office condo, flooded upstairs flooring and downstairs. State Industries simply stated, 1 year warranty for commercial use, 6 year residential, sorry you have a issue. Issue? Now is time to seek any and all legal remedy, either thru our insurance company or as a separate party.

Date created: 2014-01-04 Name: Nazir Abid
Location: Hayward,CA

"World poorest quality water heater"
I have never experienced and faced that poor quality water heater in my life, i have several properties and most of the time the water heater last for at least 10-15 years,but brand died just after 6.5 years and manufacture wont take responsibilities for any replacement instead blame on the builder of the house who choose this product,its shame for this company and fortunately the label says, made in the USA. Please never buy any product from this company.They are not reliable producers of products....God Bless America..

Date created: 2013-12-31 Name: Dave
Location: Sacramento, CA

"Very finicky water heater"
I can't recommend the State Select gs6 50 yoct g water heater. It is a pain in the neck. It's a struggle getting technical data on this heater. It doesn't help that they have a 100 series and 200 series with the same model numbers and nowhere printed on it exactly what it is. State replaced the pilot assembly at least a couple of times when it was new in 2005. Then it started acting up a couple of years later when they fixed it again. It ran ok for five years when I turned it up for a new dishwasher. Silly me, I thought it could run at a higher temperature. It's been clicking off ever since. I have been trying to figure out why it keeps going out. There are some problems with the installation like how are you supposed to clean the flame arrester screen with it not accessible enough in the closet. Dumb expensive plumbers. Do it myself next time. At this point I think the thermal cutoff is tripping because I'm trying to run it in the upper 130s. I replaced the piezo igniter because it had a frayed wire and it was cheap. Now I'm going to raise and improve the flue so it has more than 6" vertical rise before the first 45. If it keeps acting up I may have to dump it and get a new one. This has been the most troublesome lemon of a water heater I have owned.

Date created: 2013-12-19 Name: Ann Jones
Location: Connecticut

"Don't Waste Your Money"
Had New State Select Gas Water Heater installed on Dec. 16, 2013. Pilot light already is out Dec. 19, 2013 due to water condensation dripping into it? Plumber said "Gee,Haven't had this happen before but it will probably do it again". He re lit it at least for now. I read reviews about pilot not staying lit before he got here along with a great many other horror stories about this brand. He agreed to swap it out for a Bradford White in the morning. I am not wasting $875 on a piece of junk that has problems with only 2 1/2 days of use. By the way the manual that comes with the heater does not have the State name anywhere in it or a customer service number. Guess they aren't all that proud of their products.