Comparing over 45,000 air conditioners, boilers, furnaces and heat pumps

Consumer Reviews of Richmond water heaters

Read more about Richmond water heaters

Date created: 2014-05-18 Name: Randall Bos
Location: Holland MI

"New models more problems"
I have 12 power vent hot water heaters from this manufacturer in my rentals. Those I bought in 1998-1999 were good - no major issues for many years. As they age they leak which is normal. I started to replace them with the new models. I have replaced six of them in the last four years; of those six three have had problems: control valve, gas sensor, igniter. I call the 800 number they politely diagnose and send me a part. Sometimes it works, sometimes not - so I repeat the process. On the latest issue I have tried three times - replaced the control valve, cleaned the igniter system and burners and it still does not work consistently. Once the six year warranty ran out on one of them - they wanted $400 for a replacement part (for a $600 heater). I do not recommend any of the models since 2006 and those from 2009-10 being even worse based on my experience.

Date created: 2014-05-14 Name: Brian M
Location: Newton IL

"Need parts? forget it"
I need a TRD part. The only way to get it is to call the company, so I did. They asked me a bunch of questions, then told me it is not up to code. I needed to take pictures and send them to them. This is a lot of trouble just to get a safety feature part. Which they refused to send me because they said it was not up to code! This unit is 4 years old with 6 year warranty. They did not ask me a bunch of questions when I bought the unit and/or how it was going to be installed to see if it was up to code.... Lol too funny, what a joke!! I can not even buy this part!!

Date created: 2014-03-13 Name: Kerry J
Location: southeastern South Dakota

"Nothing but Problems"
Bought a vent water heater at Menards in 2009, had it installed and the manufacture date said, 2006. Within a year no hot water, called and had to have parts shipped, no plumber would touch this product or carries parts. Replaced main electric unit myself and months later had to replace the burner unit, then the vapor sensor twice, had to find the receipt to prove when we bought it as it was showing it was out of warranty. Replaced valve unit that lights up again and that was a year ago, sitting here today with no hot water again, waiting for parts. Have a family of 6 and cant go long without hot water. Total nightmare.

Date created: 2013-12-21 Name: M. Reilly
Location: Madison, WI

"Customer Service non-existent"
Bought this 40 gallon gas water heater from Menards 9-2013. My major beef now with Richmond/Rheem is their customer service totally ignoring my contacts to them. I contacted them with two minor, very brief questions. The first was two days after purchase and the second was one month after purchase. They ignored both. Richmond/Rheem's ignoring me has now turned nothing into a big deal to me. Don't ever ignore the customer. This is the very last Rheem product I will ever purchase. I am the plumber to a lot of family and friends. They will line up behind me.

Date created: 2013-12-11 Name: robert rux
Location: aberdeen s.d.

"Tech dept does not know product"
Owner bought a water heater from Menards. The gas valve was bad. Called tech support they will send gas valve. It took two days. New gas valve did not work. Called again informed them of our readings and voltages they sent second gas valve. Took two more days

Date created: 2013-10-06 Name: Bill Bradley
Location: Tucson, Az

"Don't Waste Your Money"
Bought Richmond 6V30FT 29 gal. water heater from Home Depot! It had a 2-year parts and labor warranty! Six months after installing, water temperature at tub was 120 degrees! Kept turning thermostat down until reached pilot lighting! Called Home Depot, they said call Richmond, they sent new gas valve! Was told, no service company in Tucson to install! I kept complaining they refunded cost of water heater, but water still scalding hot! Will not buy water heater from Home Depot again, and for sure not a Richmond!!!

Date created: 2013-09-25 Name: Michelle McKim
Location: Churubusco, IN

"They Do Not Stand Behind Their Products"
I replaced my water heater that was 17 years old with new as old started to leak. New water heater was the lowest cost one at Menards that would hold 50 gallons and would fit the space. Low in cost means over $400 with tax not counting other installation parts needed. Old one - only issue before it leaked was I had to replace one element one time. New one - installed and running for 10 days before I find my hot water smells like rotten eggs. In 17 years my water has never smelled bad, that is with and without the water softener. When our old water softener quit, we were without one for a few months and water was discolored and smelled irony (and tasted it too), but no foul odors. Did some research and found that the anode rods they put in the new systems have caused it. Called the company to get them to replace it with one that would correct the issue. You know, the kind they used to put in them. They swore it was my water and not their product and anode rods are "sacrificial rods" and not covered. If it was my water, then how come I never had an issue until I installed your water heater. I can heat my cold water on stove or in microwave and get no smell. I said, I understand that the rods are designed to wear out, but not in 10 days. All I asked for was one in the right material, which happen to be in their higher priced models I later found out. No go. I was going to order one online for $60 but decided to check Menards to see if they carried them. No, they didn't and clerk said he gets lots of complaints about the company. They do not stand behind the lower priced models. They were able to order me the correct rod for about $25, 2 week wait, but worth saving $35. So those looking for a water heater, might want to avoid Richmond or at least order a new anode rod so you can replace before you install it.

Date created: 2013-07-11 Name: H Conway
Location: Lake CIty CO

"Cannot Get Them to Work"
We purchased 4 tankless units for our Colorado lodge in May. The original quote from our supplier has gone up by more than 50% due to the additional parts Richmond/Rheem has told our installer to purchase. And our installer's time has gone from an original quote of 12 hours to over 60 hours. It is now July 10th and we still do not have these units operational. We get error codes every time the units come on. We purchased from Richmond/Rheem because they offered a labor and parts warranty for the 1st year. They need to get these units working now! And, let us know that they will pay for all of this additional expense. If they do the right thing, I will note it in this record.

Date created: 2013-05-14 Name: M. Gaines
Location: Plattsburg, MO

"2 Strikes"
I had a 12-year warranted Richmond 50 gal. electric water heater. It was manufactured and installed in 2008. In late 2012, it began leaking from the lower element. I contacted Richmond and they sent me a new element. When I removed the lower element, the threaded area of the tank had severely corroded. I again contacted Richmond and they told me to take my water heater to the point of purchase (Menards) and they would replace it. They indeed did. I had my new heater installed yesterday. I had great hot water for about 12 hrs, and then it quit working. Called Richmond today, and they had me call an electrician. Bad thermostat. They are overnighting the new part, the electrician has to then return. Richmond is supposed to reimburse the cost of labor. I hope this indeed happens!

Date created: 2013-03-16 Name: M Harding
Location: Minnesota

"Nothing but problems."
We purchased this tankless waterheater in 2008 w/ the expectations of saving money. This unit has been problems from the start. Customer service has been very little help because the error codes are so vague. Since purchase we have replaced all the electrodes, the burner and spent approx. $600 on labor charges to have the unit cleaned. We have been with out hot water for a couple days, and are in the process of throwing this unit in the garbage (where it belongs) and purchasing a 50 gl standard type heater. I can assure you that it will not be a richmond product or any other brand manufactured by this company.