Comparing over 45,000 air conditioners, boilers, furnaces and heat pumps

Consumer Reviews of KENMORE water heaters

Read more about KENMORE water heaters

Date created: 2014-01-02 Name: L McCartney
Location: Cameron, MO

"Nothing but problems right after the warranty expired!"
Had very little problem with the water heater until right before the warranty expired. Then it started going out. I would light it and it would work for a while and then go out. Then, of course after the Warranty expired, it happened more and more frequently, so the point we had cold water more often than hot! You can light it, but then, when the burner goes off after it heats the water, the pilot gets sucked out with the burner. I have had a plumber look at it and he can't find anything wrong, but it still happens all the time. I researched on the internet and a lot of people have this problem with the Power Miser. They say that replacing the parts doesn't help. I am looking for a new non-Kenmore!

Date created: 2012-08-03 Name: Andre
Location: OzPoOJDsTzplTx

"Andre"
It would be way cheaper to insvet in a portable baptismal type water heating devise similar to the one on the link. They make one for heating tub water quickly but I could not find that site in my haste to answer. Maybe your local hot tub dealer can get you one. The way it works is you simply stick it in the water and heat the existing water up. It does need a 220 receptical.

Date created: 2012-05-22 Location: Philadelphia,PA

"Kenmore Tall Natural Water Heater Stands Up to Competiton"
Last year after my old water heater busted, I was forced to purchase a new one. I shopped around and found a good price at my local department store. The Kenmore 75 gallon tall natural water heater never disappointed me. It runs efficiently with limited sound. My old water heater had an annoying hum sound associate with it that I became accustomed to. Have easy adjustable valves for temperature control. It also came with a 12 year tank and parts warranty which I didn't have to use at all. Never had a problem with this item performing up to its high standards. It keeps hot water running consistently which is key to a household of my size which uses hot water at an extended rate. I have no cons about this item at all. If I have to recommend this product to a friend's I would with no hesitation. This Kenmore water heater is one of the few items I brought into my new house that I was satisfied with.

Date created: 2012-04-02 Location: fresno,ca

"this is my opinion on the water heater i have"
i have had this water heater 15 years it came with the house i purchesed i like this water heater beacause so far it has been compleatly maintainence free i have had no trouble with this water heater not even had to relight the pilot light it is efficent and has a spotlees track record as far as i am concerned i dont dislike any thing about it as i say it has given me no trouble whatsoever in a old house that at has been a comfort because every thing else in the house has needed to be replaced would i buy the same brand again absolutly and i would recomend it to any body who asked my opinion i have worked as a handyman fo many years and replaced countless thermocouplers and heater elements pilot lights all kinds of things but not this one it just keeps puting out hot water rain or shine so in conclusion i have been verry satisfied with the kenmore water heater and would recomend it to anybody i like the fact that it has been totaly maintanence free and cant say that i dislike anything about it

Date created: 2012-02-20 Location: Lynnwood, WA

"After initial problem, a great water heater."
I bought this water heater about 2 years ago. My father installed it, and initially we could not get it to light. I ended up having to call customer service, and after walking me through a few steps they determined that the entire burner assembly was no good. I was able to get a technician out within 2 days and the faulty part was replaced with no charge. Ever since then it has been problem free! Not only have we not had any further issues, but it works much better than my old water heater. The water gets hotter (on the same setting), and we are able to have 5 showers one right after the other without running out of hot water.

Date created: 2012-02-13 Location: Lake Oswego, Oregon, US

"consistent performance from 70 gallon sears power miser 12"
We purchased this 70-gallon capacity Sears (Kenmore) "Power Miser 12" water heater (model: 153.321640 ) to replace an ailing 30-gallon water heater shortly after we bought our home in 2005. Since Sears' installation fee at the time was prohibitively expensive, we arranged the electric, plumbing, and physical installation requirements separately with a local plumber, electrician, and general contractor respectively. We also had to arrange recycling of the retired water heater. We've enjoyed six years of reliable service from this electric water heater. The added capacity has proven valuable every time we have overnight guests, and the doubling of tank size - from thirty to seventy gallons - did not require a larger closet in our home, nor did it require any significant re-wiring or re-plumbing to accommodate the slightly larger device footprint and much taller height. The maximum temperature is adjustable on this water heater. We've used and appreciated this temperature setting in the initial years of ownership when our two young kids were learning to bathe and were more likely to burn themselves. We have an all-electric household, and the water heater has spontaneously turned itself off a few times in the coldest weather, presumably because of electric load issues in our house. Re-setting the Power Miser 12 is a simple matter of pressing a button on the side of the water heater (and waiting for it to heat up the whole tank). We based our purchase decision on Consumer Reports analysis, online reviews, and a sad lack of expertise and experience among contractors in our area with tankless water heater technology. When this Kenmore Power Miser Twelve nears the end of its useful life (hopefully six more years!), we will reconsider the tankless water heater option.

Date created: 2012-02-13 Location: Fort Worth, TX

"Budget Electric Water Heater"
I have owned this water heater since I bought the house. It has ever since worked as good as new. I get hot water within two minutes of waiting for the hot water to kick into my upstairs shower. What I like about it is I have yet to get any problems from it where as in my other houses the water heater always had problems. What I dislike about it is warranty does not cover any labor that needs to be done with the water heater incase anything does happen. I never had to repair or replace it thus far. I would possibly buy the same brand again since I have been so fortunate with this one but might possibly shop around for a product with much better warranty and more energy efficient. I would reccomend this water heater to a friend on a budget.

Date created: 2012-02-08 Location: Indianapolis, IN

"Renter water heater story, multiple morning showers."
I am currently renting a house with three other roommates. The house has two showers in it. The water heater is a Kenmore 40gal natural gas powered one. If you are the only person in the house taking a shower then you are fine with this. In the weekday mornings three of the four roommates take showers between 6:30-7:15. This water heater works perfectly fine, but not with three people taking continuous showers for 45 minutes. The water heater can not keep up, and someone ends up getting a luke warm to cold shower if you are the unfortunate sole not to get in first. Beyond this one hitch of the water draining fast, it is a solid water heater.

Date created: 2012-02-07 Location: Beaverton, OR

"Kenmore 40 gal. Tall Electric Water Heater"
This water heater is easy to install and works great. I installed it myself within a couple of hours. Have had for about 6 months. The last water heater was replaced because of all of the crud built up inside. Also, it had started to rust at the bottom and had a slow and steady leak. The previous water heater was a 30 gallon, and opted to go with a larger one. Have a teenage daughter that lives in the shower when it's cold out. The extra capacity is great. We never seem to run into cold water in the shower. Not sure if because this unit is bigger, or it just heats water that much faster. I also empty it every couple of months. This way all the crud built up on the inside gets drained out and hopefully won't build up like the last one. I would determinately recommend this unit.

Date created: 2012-01-19 Location: Amherst, MA

"50 Gallon Kenmore Propane Water Heater"
We have been living in this duplex with the Kenmore water heater for two years. I really enjoy the capacity being so large because it heats enough water for all five tenants without ever having to worry about running out. The propane aspect also makes it very efficient. We have never had any problems with the water heater which required service. I would definitely recommend this product to a friend.