Comparing over 45,000 air conditioners, boilers, furnaces and heat pumps

Read more about AO Smith water heaters

Date created: 2014-05-29 Name: J J Mauro
Location: Turner, Oregon

"Homeowner"
We have a circulating pump on 7/24. We never know how hot the water will be even though we have temperature select valves on showers. The heater has a 15 degree difference before it goes on. Smith recommends to raise temperature at tank. Same results. Next recommendation get a mixing valve; cost $400.00. This tank sucks. Letter to the President of Smith..no reply. The 15 degree swing was done with a week long recording temperature probe.

Date created: 2014-05-10 Name: S. Brady
Location: Silverado, Ca

"Rusty Water"
I have had an AO Smith water heater for two and one half years. After less than 2 years my water started showing signs of brown and rusty water. For over six months I have been talking with tech support they refuse any responsibility. They tell me it is the anode rod and it the wrong one for my "ph" area who knew? They tell me this is not under the warranty they have given me nothing but the run around. I have spoken with a plumber (not the installer) and he tells me they are just giving me false excuses. My water is so bad now I have no choice but to repair or replace, at my expense, you can bet my next choice will not be a o Smith. .

Date created: 2013-12-18 Name: andy mather
Location: calgary ab canada

"This is a John Wood"
This product ran fine for three months than required it to be relit on a weekly basis until it would no longer lite. Called the warranty department who gave me a run around I took the unit out myself and basically dropped it at the suppliers and gave them the choice to replace it or have them served with a legal action. They not John Wood sold it to me and I was not interested in dealing with anyone but the company that sold it too me! I got a new one that has the next generation thermocoupler< which is scientific name for you are going to get a screwing!

Date created: 2013-11-27 Name: David Miteff
Location: Lafayette In

"Number 1212A003328"
True it has a 6-year warranty is six years but if it is defective, you have to pay a company that services AO Smith for it to be good and then you have to pay for labor again. When I wrote the company about it, I heard nothing back. Like, they have my money so they don't care.

Date created: 2013-10-18 Name: Unsatisfied Customer
Location: Yorba Linda, CA

"Didn't Honor Parts and Warranty"
I am a homeowner and we have a 75 gallon AO Smith ProMax water heater that is 5 years old (with 6 year warranty). The issue was that, we would set the temperature to 130 degrees but the resulting water temperature (measured at the tank) was only 100 degrees. So instead of having a hot water heater, we have a "warm" water heater. Per AO Smith, we contacted their local approved plumber and started paying close to $500 in labor charges to diagnose and fix the issue (over multiple visits). In the end, something is wrong with the water heater that is difficult to diagnose. So we are stuck with the defective water heater. AO Smith refused to provide us a new water heater and said that the water heater is within their specifications. Bottom line is that, we are tired of taking "warm" showers and will be forced to pay full price to replace the water heater that is still under warranty. Needless to say, we will be picking another water heater vendor that stands behind their warranty.

Date created: 2013-05-12 Name: time1865
Location: Hamilton, NJ

"19 Years"
Installed the unit in June of 1994 and it just started leaking at the drain valve because the water softener serviceman thought he would drain some water out. He thought he was helping. So the unit would probably still be going fine.

Date created: 2013-04-10 Name: J Tendler
Location: Austin, TX

"Smith did not pay labor"
We have 2 units of 75 gallon water heaters in series. We replaced 1 unit 15 months ago with an A.O Smith water heater GCV-40 300. My wife has been complaining about the hot water. Last week the water was cold as we were running it for a long time. The licensed plumber said we needed to replace the pilot assembly and the control valve (under parts warranty) but the labor was not covered. A.O Smith says that the labor is not covered but as a "courtesy" they cover labor for first 12 months. They also said that it is rare to replace both parts. They do not recognize the unit most likely failed within 12 months and says that they no longer need to be courteous. I need to cover labor charges. Their rules say that the courtesy only extends for 12 months no matter what. No real customer focus here.

Date created: 2013-03-14 Name: T. Frey
Location: Arkansas

"Slow leaker replaced with gusher!!"
Went A.O. Smith Vortex instead of tankless secondary to concerns re: volume of hot water in large master shower. First disappointment is that the 50 gal A.O. Smith won't carry the load. Second disappointment was when the three year old water heater went out secondary to slow leak. Third disappointment was when the replacement tank started gushing six months later!

Date created: 2013-02-01 Name: general manager
Location: Rochester NY

"ao smith does not stand behind product"
Have 216 of these installed in new facility in 2008, over 250 instances of pilot light going out. Have worn out two vacuum attachments ao smith supplied so we could clean the flame arrestors. Thousands of $ on repairs, hours of preventative maintenance

Date created: 2013-01-04 Name: R Kay
Location: Michigan

"COLD hotwater Heater From HELL"
How unsatisfied can I make this? Somehow •Very Unsatisfied is not far enough down on the list. Professionally installed in 2004 this pos hw heater has broken down 10 times in 9 years. No Joke. It Especially loved to break on the holidays for an extra service charge. 3rd time to replace the electronic controls at $750 is too much for me. I'm done, getting a new one installed tomorrow. I Will Never Buy Anything from AO Smith ever in my life. When it's sitting on the curb awaiting it's final demise I will have a few whacks at it with my sledge hammer to help it in the grave.