Consumer Reviews of York heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about York heat pumps

Date created: 2010-06-09 Name: A. Mehta

"Terrible"
Terrible. Have the York Stealth hot air heat pump. Compressor failed and had to pay ~$1000 to have a new one installed. Compressor was under warranty but the labor was not. What is worse is that I had convinced my neighbor to get the same unit (early in my ownership) and guess what, his compressor just went as well. These things are faulty and someone should do something about it.

Date created: 2010-06-09 Name: Dwain Schatz

"YORK SUCKS!!!!!!!"
I had a York heat pump installed in the spring of 2005. The compressor went out after 5 years. I have had absolutely no problems before this. The compressor was replaced. The replacement compressor did not work. The compressor was replaced a second time. At present 06/09/2010, the second replacement compressor only works half of the time. The ac technicians working on my unit have been communicating the problems with York. They keep coming up with excuses for the problems with the unit. Oh, by the way, my ac unit is still under the 10 year warranty. The parts are covered but not the labor. I'm up to about $1900 in labor for both of the replacement compressors. I do not recommend any York products. York ac units suck!!!!!!!!!!!

Date created: 2010-06-08 Name: Lendora McMillian

"Bad Units"
These units are very unreliable. I have had several things done to the unit. For the last two times, I had the unit serviced and it needed freon. The inner coil has holes in it so the freon leaks out. This was $600.00. I think there should be a recall on these units (York). I will never own another one of these.

Date created: 2010-06-05 Name: L. Taylor

"larry t"
Lousy - Over $2000.00 in repairs and service calls so far. Never, never buy a York anything.

Date created: 2010-05-12 Name: Jaime V.

"York A/C Heatpump Issues"
I am extremely disappointed with York and their inability to stand by their products. The compressor and fan motor ceased and York will only cover the cost of the compressor, not the labor to install it. This is completely ridiculous. Shame on York. I will never buy another York product again. The unit should not fail at 6 years old.

Date created: 2010-05-04 Name: Ian Broadley

"Ian in Montreal"
We purchased a York heat pump in 1995 and thank God we had a 10 year parts and labor warranty. Two compressors, numerous switches and relays at no cost. They added coolant at least 6 times. After the second year, we never went a full year without a service call. Two years ago, we had a leak in the furnace coil and was told that York no longer made it. Would have to modify the furnace to make another coil fit for $2000.00. Found a small contractor to fix it, but he warned me it would leak again. And now it leaks again.

Date created: 2010-05-01 Name: Brad Harrell

"York heat pumps-Horrible"
Horrible, Horrible, Horrible-constant service calls and 900.00+ electric bills. Would not recommend to anyone.

Date created: 2010-04-16 Name: R. Kerns

"Owner"
Purchased 1st unit in 1985, satisifed with service and operation. In Dec 2000, compressor went out and according to vendor needed total replacement of inside and outside units. Decided that since it was 15 years old to replace with more efficient unit (Sorry mistake). Within 3 yrs, have to have inside condenser replaced, several boards, numerous service calls for low freon and freezeups. Latest just happened yesterday (compressor went out). It's under warranty, but will still cost almost $800.00 for service, labor, freight and freon. Only be warranted until Jan next which will be 10 yrs from original purchase date.. sucks!!!

Date created: 2010-03-31 Name: J. Petrell

"York Heat Pump"
York heat pump was installed in 1996. It's now 2010. 4 years of service. Had one service call and tech added freon 4 years ago. I am now replacing the York with a new heat pump to take advantage of the tax rebate plus power company rebate. I have noticed that reviews for various on line heat pump makes are heavily in favor of "very unsatisfied". I believe that people who have good feelings about their installed heat pumps do not write reviews as often.

Date created: 2010-03-30 Name: Amy K. Smith

"Nothing but problems"
I don't know if it is a faulty product or a faulty installer, but I am very unsatisfied. I had the main bearing replaced three months after installation, then two coils, and a compressor within another year. Now, the replacement compressor has failed in addition to the condensor fan and condensor board and sensors. We paid $20,000 for a new system and it has never given us one full year of trouble free performance. We have laid out an additional $2000 of our own money for labor and have to pay another $1800 to have the compressor replaced under warranty again. I am filing a complaint with the PA Attorney General. Enough is enough.