Consumer Reviews of York heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about York heat pumps

Date created: 2011-11-10 Name: J Smith
Location: Central, NC

"2 York Heat pumps 16 years old no problems"
I had 2 York heat pumps installed in early 1995 and they're still running great. I've had no problems other than a freon charge. I'm just wondering how much longer my luck will hold out.

Date created: 2011-10-07 Name: Jim Wallerstedt
Location: St. Joseph, Missouri

"money pit"
Do not buy a york. It is like flushing money done the toilet. The only person that will be happy is your repair man.

Date created: 2011-08-04 Name: J. Stockstill
Location: New Braunfels, TX

"Has Been A Reliable Heat Pump"
Our York heat pump has been pretty reliable, but we have had to have repairmen out at least once or twice a year. Our condenser fan motor burned out this week and we are getting it replaced. When it operates, it works well.

Date created: 2011-07-26 Name: Kimberly Hathcock
Location: Scottsville VA

"POOR QUALITY"
My husband is a contractor and had installed all York units. Our house is 12 years old and the upstairs and downstairs units have been nothing but trouble since year two. Many calls for needing more freon.... Many hot days w/ no ac. We have replaced parts & parts & parts. We replaced the inside unit upstairs 2 years ago. They replaced it with a "comparable" unit that ended up being one that doesn't remove the humidity so it's always very humid in our bedrooms. after paying for another unit, you'd think it would be okay. Two service calls this summer and now it will take $4500 to fix or $4600 to repair - the coil leaks again and again. all of the ones that he has put in houses are the same. One problem after another... Replacements... I believe that there should be a class action suit. We can't afford to buy another unit and knowing too well that the downstairs is acting up too, so that will have to be replaced too in the near future. bad york!

Date created: 2011-07-12 Name: William Young
Location: Mesa, AZ

"York Heat Pump is Junk!"
Junk! $400 first year repair, 2nd year $800 just for parts. Don't buy. Horrible experience.

Date created: 2011-06-07 Name: E.G.
Location: Royersford, pa

"Piece of junk!!!"
We have owned this unit for 4 years now. This past winter was a nightmare. We had huge electric bills from running on emergency heat while waiting several weeks for York to send the parts. Then they repaired it for $1000 in labor, parts were under warrantee, but we had to pay for labor. Of course they had to come out at least 3-4 times & they told us that they have basically replaced everything inside the unit. Well, great! Yeah right!!! It's only 3 months later, and 90 degrees outside, and now we have NO AC!!! The unit wont turn on. So much for a brand new unit, basically! This is the worst unit EVER!!! Don't buy from this company!

Date created: 2011-06-04 Name: Walt Roshon
Location: Townsend, DE

"Compressor dead in less than 6 years"
Heat pump came with the house that was built 5 1/2 years ago. The compressor just died suddenly. Was fine as an A/C unit until then. Never satisfactory for heat in Delaware without switching to propane "emergency" heat. I'm hoping that I can replace the heat pump with a Trane unit without having to replace the heat exchanger which is unlikely.

Date created: 2011-05-12 Location: US CA LA firestone park

"a review of my heat pump...."
iam using this brand of heat pump since 2007....and iam very satisfied with this brand's quality and efficiency....iam using this brand and model because i know about it's quality....one thing which i dislike about it is that its very heavy to move. its too much heavy but still it is very good in it's functioning....and i never repaired or replaced it because iam very much convinced with its working.....and yes definitely whenever in future i need one more heat pump for my new house iam goin to buy this brand once more because i experienced it and i found it as i expected.....and iam goin to recommend it to all of my friends and relatives as well.thnx for having my review about heat pumpat my home.....

Date created: 2011-03-28 Name: TMcGugan
Location: Olathe, KS

"Absolute garbage"
Unfortunately, two York heat pumps came with the house, which is not quite 6 years old, so of course, the units are justout of warranty. The smaller of the two, which controls the heating and cooling for a suite above our garage, is getting a new motor. The damage is $600. We get both units checked and cleaned twice a year, and that unit gets far less use than the other because we rarely use that part of the house. We keep the thermostat low in winter and high in summer. There should be VERY little wear and tear on it, yet themotor has burned out. I would never have purchased York if we had built this house, and I certainly will never buy it again. It is noisy, inefficient, unreliable and a terrible value. Now we will wait for the other one to die -- the one that controls the temperature in the main living area of the house. Ohhh, can't wait.

Date created: 2011-02-19 Name: Dave
Location: Atlanta, GA

"York Is Garbage!"
If you have asthma or chemical sensitivities, STAY AWAY from York. I have 2, 4 ton heat pump systems with emergency back up furnaces. Running the system in emergency heat mode thru the furnace seems to work ok. HOWEVER, if I try and run the heat or A/C in standard heat pump mode, the quality of the air changes. It's almost as if I am suffocating and my asthma starts to flair up. I think that the balance in this R10-4A refrigerant that York uses somehow is off balance and it spits out carbon monoxide. I can't be 100% sure but something is definitely wrong with the quality of the air I am breathing whenever the heat pump or A/C kicks on. I was so much happier with a crappy single stage Payne model. At least it didnt make me have asthma and chemical attacks when it kicked on. YORK corportate is also very hard to deal with. They offer NO customer support and will not work with you! Avoid York products like the plague!!!!