Comparing over 45,000 air conditioners, boilers, furnaces and heat pumps

Consumer Reviews of York heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about York heat pumps

Date created: 2013-09-08 Name: Tony Spainhour
Location: Holly Springs, NC

"Old York"
I installed a York heat pump in my house when it was built in March 1981. It still heats and cools my house as well as it did the day it was installed. I do not have routine maintenance performed in my unit and have probably never spent $500.00 on it in 32 1/2 years. Would love to be able to purchase another identical unit when it dies.

Date created: 2013-06-30 Name: Kim
Location: Nc

"York Poor"
Biggest piece of junk ever. I purchased this unit in August 2010. I have had 5 service calls on it, the unit is broke now and not sure when they will fix it. The coil broke in May, now in June the blower is broke and waiting to see when they will fix it. Two times had to wait numerous days for repairs. May 15th repair was completed May 24. I too, will probably be hiring attorney to handle this never ending stressful, expensive, and downright disgusting York Nightmare!

Date created: 2013-03-22 Name: Charles White
Location: Shepherdstown, WV

"Very Satisfied"
Purchased new house in 1989. Pulte had york H/Ps installed in entire development. Air handler fan motor failed in 1995. Out of warranty, $195.00 (three visits and parts)to fix then. Tech (not york certified) used a loaner (?) motor until a york replacement was received from york, took six weeks(?); but Tech strongly recommended this approach. Today 3/22/13 Air Handler controller (?) component failed. Tech due at 11:00am. I don't anticipate having to replace our system. Tech seemed to think he knew what the problem is and is going by his shop to get the parts he thinks he will need. After 23 years, six months I think this machine has served us exceptionally well. I have noted previous comments and I am sympathetic to the difficulties experienced with their YORK equipment. I attribute much of my success to being sensative to the operating parameters for the system AND having really good techs service the system every six months (yes you could say it is a religous thing). When our system was made (1989)all manufacturers talked about a maximum service life between 15-20 years. This was essentially twice as long as early consumers' experienced with the first two-three generations of H/Ps. In actual practice most manufacturers were designing for a 30 year service life (in 1989 a kwh in our area was only $.032 and now $.075). From the comments that designe objective/standard seems to have changed. I think Most likely because of the rapid change in technology, costs of manufacturing, and the rapidly rising cost of electricity make such a design horizone fruitless. I don't realy know. Just saying and offering one person's experience.

Date created: 2013-01-22 Name: B FORD
Location: Nebraska

"Do not buy York"
Replaced outside fan out of pocket before warranty up then 5 months past outside coil failes 2700 repair bill unit is junk

Date created: 2012-12-29 Name: M.Tyler
Location: Alum Creek,WV

"Very disappointed with York"
We've had our York for a little over a year and have had nothing but trouble . We've had a total of 3 ton of freon put it in. We've had a part replaced in the heat pump. Several service calls. Now,it runs constantly from auxiliary heat, back to heat every 5 minutes, even on days when it's above 50 degrees. Yet, the service guys say nothing is wrong. When the unit defrosts, it throws cold air back in thru the vents. I honestly feel I bought a piece of junk. I never had this issue with my last unit, which was a Carrier.

Date created: 2012-12-09 Name: Rod N.
Location: West Seattle, Washington

"Trouble-free and Efficient"
Our York heat pump is now two years old and we are totally satisfied with it. No repairs whatsoever. Keeps the house warm. Worked well even during a major freezing rain event last winter. Much more efficient than the oil burner that it replaced.

Date created: 2012-11-28 Name: Greg Dickson
Location: Rutledge, Ga

"Split system heat pump"
I purchased this unit new in 2008 and this is the third time it has failed. The first two times the blower motor failed in the air handler. Now I don't have a clue what is wrong with it other than I am getting a complete runaround from York and their "Authorized" service techs. My unit failed early October and I have not had it for two months now. I am on my second tech and now looking for a third. This heat pump sucks and I would not recommend York to anyone. Be careful about their service techs because I found out the hard way that some of them do this part-time and have other full-time jobs. Your satisfaction is not their priority.

Date created: 2012-11-19 Name: B. Hamilton
Location: Florida

"Heater"
This unit is a piece of scrap. After 14 months control board went out. Now 8 months later blower motor. York is a joke.

Date created: 2012-10-06 Name: E. Fujimura
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

"Excessive Failures First 5 Years"
We have two York heat pumps, both have failed twice in the first 5 years. The control boards on both had to be replaced. The fan bearings on one unit seized and had to be replaced. The other unit lost coolant and a leak was found and fixed. At just under 6 years old, one heat pump sometimes fails to start and the service tech could not determine the cause. The failure is so intermittent it is impossible to replicate when the tech is present. I think the control board is failing again. I plan to replace both units with another brand when or possibly before the 10 year warranty is up. Our former units were Trane and I plan to go back to Trane or American Standard as I firmly believe their quality and reliability are better. I also do not like the noisy scroll compressors on the York that sometimes start with a bang/thump.

Date created: 2012-04-20 Name: S. Dowd
Location: Cle Elum, WA

"York system lasted 5 .5 years"
I am really angry at York right now!!! I had a York 16 Seer 4 ton heat pump and natural gas furnace installed at my house 5.5 years ago. These were supposedly higher end units installed. I recently had to replace both units because the York units failed, and there is only a 5 year warranty. The heat pump had the controller board fail, and as the technicians were pulling it out, they noticed that the fan motor was leaking oil, so it would have had to be replaced as well. The furnace had the inducer motor, main control board and fan controller module fail. All of this would have cost $4500 to repair. The technicians told me they had installed about 20 of these units 5-6 years ago, and most of them are failing. There should have been no reason to have to replace a complete hvac system after 5 years in a new house!! And I find no where else to ask questions about the York reliability.