Comparing over 45,000 air conditioners, boilers, furnaces and heat pumps

Consumer Reviews of York heat pumps

Read more about York heat pumps

Date created: 2014-01-30 Name: Wolfgang muller
Location: Alexandria, Ontario

"Garbage unit"
Over the last 4years I have had nothing but problems. The unit is only 11 years old and the mother board had to be replaced 3 times in the last 3 years.. It now has to be replaced again. They are not cheap. So far I have spent more$ in repairs than the unit was worth when it was installed new. I certainly would not recommend this to anybody. My repair man also confirms that York is the worst company for repair frequency.

Date created: 2014-01-09 Name: JIM
Location: Phoenix,Arizona

"Don't do it"
I am not a happy owner of a York heat-pump I noticed most of the good reviews were from contractors who have a purpose in writing a good review. I would say why are there so many bad reviews from consumers? Not because they have a reason to hate York but a true feeling they were built incorrectly. York should be held liable for these units. One last thought: don't buy York. My unit is less then two years old nothing but trouble. I can't get parts, can't get any help from company, can't trade it in. I have a hunk of junk on my roof I bet I can't get 50 dollars for at the scape yard.

Date created: 2013-10-23 Name: M. Sandholm
Location: Campbell River, B>C>

"Unsatisfied with Heat Pump"
Had this unit, YZB03611 Affinity installed in September 2007. Has been nothing but trouble. Winter of 2008, unit ran and ran all night long blowing cool air. After having tech here time after time again, in winter December 24th 2009 we had no heat. Aux heat blowing cool air! Replaced control board. January 2010, our hydro bill went sky high. Still, unit running and running with cool air thru registers. Now, I find out blue coils recalled by reading reviews, no one called us to let us know and yes we have a blue coil. No, I would not buy a York again. I am now waiting for tech again.

Date created: 2013-09-23 Name: Charles Turner
Location: Poteet, Texas

"ERC042S06 Heat Pump"
This unit was installed by York dealer in January 2006. In June 2011, I had to replace the outside unit fan motor. Now in September 2013, the unit has stopped cooling and the repair guy says it needs to be replaced, it's a bad unit. Naturally, it is out of warranty. It should last a lot longer than 7 years. Will I buy another York-no way!

Date created: 2013-09-08 Name: Tony Spainhour
Location: Holly Springs, NC

"Old York"
I installed a York heat pump in my house when it was built in March 1981. It still heats and cools my house as well as it did the day it was installed. I do not have routine maintenance performed in my unit and have probably never spent $500.00 on it in 32 1/2 years. Would love to be able to purchase another identical unit when it dies.

Date created: 2013-06-30 Name: Kim
Location: Nc

"York Poor"
Biggest piece of junk ever. I purchased this unit in August 2010. I have had 5 service calls on it, the unit is broke now and not sure when they will fix it. The coil broke in May, now in June the blower is broke and waiting to see when they will fix it. Two times had to wait numerous days for repairs. May 15th repair was completed May 24. I too, will probably be hiring attorney to handle this never ending stressful, expensive, and downright disgusting York Nightmare!

Date created: 2013-03-22 Name: Charles White
Location: Shepherdstown, WV

"Very Satisfied"
Purchased new house in 1989. Pulte had york H/Ps installed in entire development. Air handler fan motor failed in 1995. Out of warranty, $195.00 (three visits and parts)to fix then. Tech (not york certified) used a loaner (?) motor until a york replacement was received from york, took six weeks(?); but Tech strongly recommended this approach. Today 3/22/13 Air Handler controller (?) component failed. Tech due at 11:00am. I don't anticipate having to replace our system. Tech seemed to think he knew what the problem is and is going by his shop to get the parts he thinks he will need. After 23 years, six months I think this machine has served us exceptionally well. I have noted previous comments and I am sympathetic to the difficulties experienced with their YORK equipment. I attribute much of my success to being sensative to the operating parameters for the system AND having really good techs service the system every six months (yes you could say it is a religous thing). When our system was made (1989)all manufacturers talked about a maximum service life between 15-20 years. This was essentially twice as long as early consumers' experienced with the first two-three generations of H/Ps. In actual practice most manufacturers were designing for a 30 year service life (in 1989 a kwh in our area was only $.032 and now $.075). From the comments that designe objective/standard seems to have changed. I think Most likely because of the rapid change in technology, costs of manufacturing, and the rapidly rising cost of electricity make such a design horizone fruitless. I don't realy know. Just saying and offering one person's experience.

Date created: 2013-01-22 Name: B FORD
Location: Nebraska

"Do not buy York"
Replaced outside fan out of pocket before warranty up then 5 months past outside coil failes 2700 repair bill unit is junk

Date created: 2012-12-29 Name: M.Tyler
Location: Alum Creek,WV

"Very disappointed with York"
We've had our York for a little over a year and have had nothing but trouble . We've had a total of 3 ton of freon put it in. We've had a part replaced in the heat pump. Several service calls. Now,it runs constantly from auxiliary heat, back to heat every 5 minutes, even on days when it's above 50 degrees. Yet, the service guys say nothing is wrong. When the unit defrosts, it throws cold air back in thru the vents. I honestly feel I bought a piece of junk. I never had this issue with my last unit, which was a Carrier.

Date created: 2012-12-09 Name: Rod N.
Location: West Seattle, Washington

"Trouble-free and Efficient"
Our York heat pump is now two years old and we are totally satisfied with it. No repairs whatsoever. Keeps the house warm. Worked well even during a major freezing rain event last winter. Much more efficient than the oil burner that it replaced.