Consumer Reviews of WEATHERKING heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about WEATHERKING heat pumps

Date created: 2009-03-13 Name: Shannon F.

"Good So Far"
The unit cools the house very well. However, it helps that the house is well insulated. This is the first heat pump I have owned and it's heating capabilities doesn't rank as well as it cooling. The house has cold spots. I would generally attribute this to insulation but the house cools pretty evenly. The air out of the vents is barely warm except on very cold days when the secondary heating element comes on. The unit has failed 4 times in 2 years but the problems were minor and I am not sure if that is not the fault of the builder/installer, which was average to poor.

Date created: 2009-02-25 Name: Kimberly
Location: Columbia, SC

"WeatherKing Complaint"
The WeatherKing Model #10pja3101 is horrible. I've gotten it fixed several times. First, some wires were burnt out. Then, there was something going on with the freon. Now, the compressor is gone. We have been using our emergency heat just to keep warm. I won't even discuss my electric bill. WeatherKing is a brand I do not recommend.

Date created: 2009-01-09 Name: Dave Blythe
Location: Eastern Shore, Delaware

This heatpump is terrible. There has been something fixed or replaced every 6 months and it gets a bit costly after a while. Now, the compressor has gone up again. Someone once referred to this as a 3 year throw away pump. I'm starting to understand what they meant. This pump was installed new in May 2005 and we've had wires burn up, constant freon leaks, and the compressor has been replaced 2 times now. by this point, I believe I have spent enough money in repairs to have purchased a high-quality brand. It is a very dissappointing system. I'ved learned that you get what you pay for.

Date created: 2008-12-22 Name: R. Martz
Location: Clarksville, TN

"WeatherKing 17AHJ14S02C01 = Crap"
Its is wonderful that the unit has a 5yr warranty, however, the compressor only cost $100 while the service to replace it cost $500. 3 compressors, burned wires, run capacitors, and reversing valve. Every year it stops heating in the first days the temperature gets into the teens. In the first months for cooling we have compressor problems. With all the service calls, I'm half-way into a new/quality unit. a class action suit is certainly in order.

Date created: 2008-12-08 Name: M. Smith
Location: Kentucky

"Weather King/Rheem/Iceco disappoints"
Air Handler Model 17ahj14s02c01, Heat Pump Model 10pjb30a01 were installed in June of 2004. 2008, 7 service calls and 2 HVAC companies later it's not looking good. We have problems both with heating and cooling. 10 months has been the longest span without service and the outdoor temps were mild enough to open windows instead of running the air conditioner. Compressor, 2 transformers and 2 heat sequencers have been replaced. Freon was low once but that probably stemmed from when the compressor was changed as the tech probably couldn't get an accurate reading due to the colder temps. Our tech said he didn't think we had a leak but if we did there is no fixing it. Recharging would have to be done twice a year and the unit would most likely need to be replaced within 5 years of the first leak. Between 2 companies and 5 Tecís there has been no positive remarks made about this unit. The installing tech quit installing these units shortly after ours as he was receiving numerous complaints from his customers and Rheem offered no assistance and of course we were left with a crappy unit. We are currently pursuing recourse but nothing to report yet. A working number for Rheem that we used to obtain a manual is 1-479-646-4311. Any help you may have to offer can be sent to trash_kwen@yahoo.com.

Date created: 2008-12-05 Name: P.hofelich
Location: Columbus, Indiana

"Freazing in Indiana"
I built my house new in 95' and contractor installed Weatherking at his discretion. After reading testimonials, I'm sure cost was the main factor. This unit has worked okay from an air conditioning standpoint, but we freaze when temps get below 30 degrees and my electric bill skyrockets, usually triple during the winter months.Burnt several capicitators over the years, lucky my buddy does HVAC for free. This unit is poor at best.

Date created: 2008-11-21 Name: ABOWERS
Location: Birmingham, AL

"WEATHERKING HEAT PUMP"
We moved into a new home approx. 1 1/2 years ago. it has a Weatherking heat pump. Before a year had passed, the air was not cooling, the installers showed me where a wire had burned into and lost all freon, had to be repaired. Now that cold weather is here, when temperatures get around 38ļ it does not heat, only blowing cold air. Is this a common problem?

Date created: 2008-10-29 Name: SM Bush
Location: Columbia, SC

"Weather King is a piece of crap"
I have been in this house for almost two years. The house is three years old. This unit is a piece of crap. It is blowing out cold air and it is 37 degrees where I live right now. When the heat pump does come on, it is so loud it startles me everytime. And it runs so loud, it can be heard two streets over. I have had almost every piece of it replaced. Luckily my very good friend has an heating or cooling business or I would be in serious trouble. I told him don't fix anything else. Just get me a new unit. Also there are no Weather King dealers in SC so I don't even know how to contact them.

Date created: 2008-09-11 Name: L mercado
Location: Louisville, KY

"Weather king Heat Pump- JUNK"
I built a house in January 2004, I have had nothing but problems with the 2 heat pumps that were installed by the builder. They always need freon and always leak and make loud noises- tech came out yesterday and says I need a whole new downstairs unit! Well the 2 I have are only 4 years old! Who would have thought the WeatherKing heat pumps were such junk. Has anyone sued WeatherKing?? I have to spent between 4 and 8k for a new unit now in a 4 year old home!!

Date created: 2008-08-04 Name: Jared Dean
Location: Athens, OH

"Weather King more like Weather Lame"
Installed Weather King in my home 3 years ago. I am a HVAC contractor and did a heat load calculation and proper duct sizing. The first unit I installed out of the box had a restriction in the refrigerant lines somewhere near the txv. My local supplier was kind enough to give me a brand new unit which has worked fine for the past 3 years. Just this week one of the terminals on the compressor completely blew off the side of the compressor so I lost all of my refrigerant and have to replace the compressor. I installed the new compressor and filter drier and pumped down for at least 2 hours. Added refrigerant and tried to turn on unit and the new compressor is pulling 47 amps and only will run for 10 seconds or so. lra is 57. Looks like I have to put in another compressor. I have never been happy with this unit but it was so cheap and a local supplier had just started carrying them so I thought I would give them a shot. I will never install this crap in one of my customers homes. It is loud and tight to work in.