Comparing over 45,000 air conditioners, boilers, furnaces and heat pumps

Consumer Reviews of TRANE heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about TRANE heat pumps

<< Previous1112131415161718192021222324252627282930Next >>

Date created: 2010-02-01 Name: C. Goodwin

"no more Trane heat pumps"
Replaced our seven year old Trane heat pump as the starting capacitor and a small valve went bad on the compressor. Dealer said it was not worth fixing as the cost would be over a thousand dollars. They installed a new unit, 4twr5 outside and a new air handler with 10,000 Kw heatstrips model 4tee3f40b1000. Very nice installation job with no complaints. Problem is when the temperature gets to 30 degrees the unit runs 24 hours a day and can't heat the house to 68 degrees and the house is only 1600 sq. ft. So far when the temperature is down to about 35 we turn the heat pump off and heat the house with the fireplace and it keeps the house at 78 degrees. When summer comes were going to have another brand installed. This was $6,000 down the drain.

Date created: 2010-02-01 Name: Really Mad

"Peeved"
This unit was installed when our house was built 8 years ago. The outside unit lasted one year, the compressor failed, the entire unit was replaced. In the past 5 years, we have had to replace the compressor twice, the condensor motor, contactor, defrost sensor, expansion valve, ambient temperature sensor and have had to have the unit recharged several times due to the freon leaking somewhere they can't find the leak. The lines running from the inside unit to the outside were replaced, they also added a hard start kit. We had the unit inspected twice year to maintain a warranty. Today, I am performing an activity that has become nearly routine for me, waiting for a repair since it is not working again. I contacted Trane and outlined the problems we've had. Never heard any reply from them. It's only been one month since it broke last time, and since our warranty has now expired we have to pay for these repairs. Never never never buy a Trane!!! This is the 5th heat pump I've had in my life, but the only Trane. It's also the only one I've ever had trouble with.

Date created: 2010-02-01 Name: T. Thompson

"Owner"
Replaced 20 y/o Amana heat pumps with Trane 20I 4 ton and a 3.5 ton and matching air handlers with clean effects. 3.5 ton unit works great and controls the sleeping area. The 4 ton unit has had many service calls where boards were replaced. Also had to have the refrigerant balance couple of times. Latley with the colder temps the unit has not been heating efficiently. In the morning, the unit runs for 2-4 hours at high speed with little to no change in the indoor temp. Dealer says they can find nothing wrong and say it is b/c it is cold out. They make adjustments and reprogram the tstat. Only way to get unit not to run at high speed was to drop tstat from 68 to 66. This worked fine for 3 weeks but now it is running at high speed and for hours at a time in the morning. The outside temp is 42. This morning it ran for 4 hours and ended up heating the l/r to 68 before shutting off for 5 min then on again for 20 more min. Both units were installed 5 months ago. Verdict is out on whether this unit is really saving any money as was told it would cut my heating and cooling bill in half. Seems hard to believe when it runs for hours at a time.

Date created: 2010-01-31 Name: B. Boland

"Mr."
I had an xl-14 installed in 1994. Less then 10 years, air handler coil replaced $1100. Later, defrost card replaced. 1/2010, the outside coil leaks. Trane wants $8k to buy. Now, I need a new system. All the units in my area are no name brands and have outlasted Trane. Also, contractor said Trane coils are not copper any more and the salt air affects the (alum) coils they use. So do not use Trane.

Date created: 2010-01-16 Name: P. Brown

"not happy"
Let me tell you, they just do not make them like they used to. I had no trouble with my old Trane at all for 20 years. The compressor finally went out so I decided to buy another one. I have only had it for 5 months and this is the worst machine I have ever had. I am so displeased with it because it is so loud when it starts up. We spend a lot of time outside and I am truly disappointed with it. We have rain and very cold weather and the unit literally had ice covering it.

Date created: 2010-01-15 Name: D. W.

"Sold on Trane"
I had a Trane unit installed in my house after a home addition 14 years ago. We had to upsize the unit because of the extra sq. footage. I have never had to do anything to this unit other than cleanings. If someone asked me, I would not hesitate to recommend this brand.

Date created: 2010-01-13 Name: Andy
Location: Tampa, FL

"XR14 1.5 ton, Works so far"
This is the smaller unit on a 3000 sq. ft. home. The cooling is good, really like the variable speed air handler for keeping humidity down, big concern in Tampa, Fl. The condenser is very quiet and seems to be of high quality. Now for the heating; not so good, in fact if it gets below 50 degrees outside, heating is all but gone. Have to use heat strips. Luckily that's not a big deal here, but compared to other heat pumps I've had, this one is really weak. Had an Amana that heated like an oil furnace even below 30 degrees. Time will tell if this Trane ends up being as much trouble as others have had.

Date created: 2010-01-07 Name: Patrick Gilliam

"dont get trane"
Me and my wife built a house back in 2006. We bought 2 Trane heat pumps for our 4200 sq ft house. In 2007, during the summertime, we had to put our AC units on 67 just to keep it cool. Both of our units were running all day long. Me and my wife got our power bill and it was $500 dollars. Me and wife switched heat pumps in 2008. We went with American Standard and know we can set our AC units at 75 in the summer. Please don't get Trane. It's not worth it.

Date created: 2009-12-26 Name: N. Kry

"Trane Heat Pump Not Worth It"
Since day one, repairs have been required. I have found it very hard to get any results from Trane itself. It is disheartening to learn that our unit needs repairs both in the winter and summer. During winter, it wants to give air conditioning. In the summer, it wants to just shut down. Fortunately, I bought the extended warranty for parts and labor but my electric bills are astronomical considering the need to use emergency heat. Wish I would have known this site before purchasing it. I will replace it when the warranty expires and will never buy a Trane product again. As for having it installed by a certified dealer, I did but that didn't help either.

Date created: 2009-12-24 Name: BW

"Trane has been good to me so far."
My Trane packaged unit heat pump has only had one service call the last 8 years and that was for a defective thermostat that went out the first month. This unit replaced a Tempstar that developed a bad leak right after the warranty expired which burned out the compressor. My next unit will probably be a Trane, but I hope to get a few more years out of this old unit first.

<< Previous1112131415161718192021222324252627282930Next >>