Consumer Reviews of TEMPSTAR heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about TEMPSTAR heat pumps

Date created: 2009-05-03 Name: R. Allen

"Love it"
I have a tempstar heat pump,and in 12 years I have had no problems. It has always ran great.

Date created: 2009-05-01 Name: d. hageman

"Oldavey"
We had our Tempstar heatpump installed 20 yrs ago when the house was built. It is a dual fuel unit (heatpump and 15kw electric resistance). I have a 2,000 sq ft. house and this 2.5 ton outfit has always been enough. Other than needing a new defrost timer at 5 yrs and a couple of capaciters, we haven't had any trouble. It does need a little freon every other year now. The outside unit looks terrible and sounds worse, but it just keeps on going... It's been hailed on, knocked off its legs by my tractor, and moved 3 times. I may replace it with another Tempstar, but I'm wondering if United Technologies (the current owner, and also mfr of Carrier and Bryant) is still using the same top of the line compressors, coils, and other components that Inter City did when they owned the brand. An independent service rep told me my unit was built with the same internals as other brands costing thousands more. btw, my neighbor has a standard Tempstar electric furnace and a/C. He's had his for 18 yrs and never has had it serviced.

Date created: 2009-04-21 Name: TEMPSTAR

"14.5 SEER Heat Pump System"
Installed a 14.5 seer temstar Heat Pump System 2004 after I purchased a house with a 23 year old Trane system in it. The outside unit has a 2 stage compressor (which was replaced within the first year) and the inside has a 3 speed dc fan with electric backup heat. Just after the 5 year warranty expired I had the system inspected for the fifth time. The outcome was the outside unit coils were corroding to the point the fins were falling off. The fan was only working in 1 speed (the motor was bad) and only 1 of 3 heating elements was working (which is why the house was cooling during recycle or de-thaw mode in the winter). The service company, the regional distributor, and I all contacted the corporate office to see if we could get some relief on the repair and were shut down cold. The system cost about $1000.00 a year plus electrical to own. I'm replacing the system with a 19.6 seer, 2 pump, variable speed fan unit from trane which caries a 10 year warranty on all parts / 2 year labor. I expect the system to last for at least 20 years which will make the annual cost about $500 per year + electrical. Don't waste you money. Go for the systems that have a good track record like trane, lynnix, carier.

Date created: 2009-03-14 Name: M Brannan
Location: Stonewall, MS

"Home owner"
In eleven years, we have had our unit worked on five or six times for a total of about $3000.00. I'm not sure if this is normal for heat pumps, but I'm very frustrated with Tempstar performance.

Date created: 2009-02-24 Name: J. Wright
Location: Harrisburg, AR

"Tempstar Heat Pump"
I don't understand why so many people are have problems with their tempstar heat pump. Maybe it was installed incorrectly or their service tech don't know how to work on it. I have had great service out of mine. And will buy another one when the time comes.

Date created: 2009-02-06 Name: Wilson
Location: Ohio

"Tempstar Smartcomfort"
Works great until winter, had to replace the defrost board every winter for 5 years now. 7th year the piece of junk died. junk junk JUNK....get another brand!!!

Date created: 2009-01-06 Name: S. Penix
Location: Boons Camp, Kentucky

"Disapointed"
I have had nothing but " trouble " with this unit ....itís a 4 ton....from circuit boards to relays ....it seems to know ...when paid day is ...because it will need something ...it has never heated the way it should since I installed it ... if you are looking at buying one ...please look at other brands ...I sure wished I had ....

Date created: 2009-01-05 Name: Denise Mourton
Location: Waldron, AR

"Your air/heater cond. is no good"
It has to be worked on every summer and winter we have paid out so much money this unit. I would never buy another one as long as I live. We have needed new coils for our unit and every heating person we have paid to come and work on since 2003 has been denied the coils. So here is another winter its 32* outside and we have no heat. Will never buy a Tempstar again. We have had over 2500.00 down the drain.

Date created: 2008-12-29 Name: mark
Location: Phoenix, AZ

" DONT BUY ONE"
Replace a 15 yr old unit that was working, wanted a "high efficiency unit". Bought a Tempstar, bad move. Have had to have major repairs every year except yr 1/2. After that, the labor warranty had expired, and I was stuck with paying for service. Parts were free if I wanted to pull teeth pay double and then get "free parts", never again will I buy a Tempstar. I am very disappointed.

Date created: 2008-12-01 Name: Mark Dunbar
Location: Largo, FL

"Dunbar"
It worked ok for 5 years. Then just after warranty expired the compressor went. The tech from the same installation company said the rest of the unit is junk and showed how the coils are dried out and flake off when brushed. This is not acceptable, a $3000 unit should not be crumbling to pieces at 5 years.