Consumer Reviews of TEMPSTAR heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about TEMPSTAR heat pumps

Date created: 2010-03-09 Name: Gary

"Heat Pump Good Tempstar"
I am surprised at some of the reviews. 1800 square foot, 3 ton Tempstar 15 seer works great. It's near the patio, bushes between and it's pretty quiet too. They check and clean it each year. Drain was plugged once. Would get another Tempstar. They have 10-year parts warranty now. So far, happy and warm and cool.

Date created: 2010-02-05 Name: J. Henry

"I do not want another Tempstar"
I have read 38 reviews of various Tempstar units. It appears anyone having an older unit has had a better unit than us customers having a heat pump 10 or less years old. I had no trouble for about the first 5 years. Since then, it has stopped defrosting twice. Now, the coil has a leak and had it charged with 3 lbs. of refrigerant so unless I want to pay over $800 for a new coil, I will have to add freon on a yearly basis until that doesn't work any more. The compressor has now gone bad just under the 10 year warranty time. That will cost $350 in labor, plus replacing all the freon for a "warranted" new coil. Here's the kicker: even on the new coil, it is only warranted until the original warranty runs out: a whole year! I am thinking of replacing part of my unit with a Goodman or Payne.

Date created: 2010-02-02 Name: D. Jackson

"mad in kentucky"
We built our house in 2002. We have a 3 ton unit and a 2.5 ton unit. Nothing but trouble since day one. Non-existent warranty condenser fans circuit boards capacitors etc. time and time again. I would use window units and kerosene heaters before I would purchase another Tempstar.

Date created: 2010-01-04 Name: R. McCarty

"Buy the Extended Warrenty"
My first Tempstar heat pump failed four times in the first year. I asked for and received a new unit. Now, it has failed within six months. I'm normally not an extended warranty kind of guy, but THANK GOD I bought one for this hunk of junk. Next failure, I'm going to try to get my money back and start from scratch with ANYTHING other than a Tempstar. I don't care WHAT your contractor says. DON'T buy. But if you must, you'd better get the extended warranty.

Date created: 2009-12-08 Name: B. Gibson

"Tempstar is basically junk"
We've had our Tempstar for 6 years. We had our home built and the contractor installed the Tempstar. Every winter, we have to call the repair man out to fix it - new boards, new fan, new motor. Defrost cycle will not work most of the time. These problems have been since the very beginning. It usually quits working on the coldest days of the year. I am just sick about the costs of the repairs. Have just about replaced everything and still having problems. Replacing the unit today.

Date created: 2009-11-03 Name: G. Silva

"Great System"
I had a gas furnace and I needed a new furnace and heat pump system. I chose a tempstar heat pump and gas furnace. I like the Tempstar system because of the high HSPF(Heating Season Proformance Factor) and it can operate at lower temps then most other brands. After having it installed, I love how quiet the system is and how hot the air is in our house.

Date created: 2009-10-29 Name: Nate M.

"Happy!"
I had a Tempstar tx5400 heat pump installed in my home last year, along with a Tempstar vs90 furnace. Both have worked great so far. They replaced an old Thermopride oil furnace and Bryant 10 seer a/c, and the new system saved me big money last winter in heating costs. I got estimates on a Lennox 2 stage variable speed furnace and 14 seer heat pump, as well as a Carrier Infinity system, the Tempstar system was much more affordable. In this case going with the lowest bid wasn't a bad thing. If the contractor checks out ok, don't be afraid to buy a Tempstar product.

Date created: 2009-10-19 Name: SPC Crawford

"Great Heat Pump"
I had a Tempstar heat pump installed over 7 years ago, it runs great with no problems at all. Very quiet.

Date created: 2009-08-24 Name: Rene Hales

"Turned 5 Out of Warrant - Died"
Had to completely replace the outside unit. Had to replace the condensor coil or something on the part of this unit in the attic. I would say it is costly junk.

Date created: 2009-08-18 Name: J L A K

"TROUBLE!!!!"
We did a major renovation on out home in 2001, in which the contractor installed a New Tempstar Heat pump. We have had nothing buth trouble with it since day one, costing us a small fortune!!!! For some reason, not one thing was conver under the so called warranty, Fan motor's, capaciter, computer boards, etc.......and these items have been replaced more than once. we even had a Tempstar Tech. come to look at it and yet nothing. We have had to have it repaired twice in the past 3 months...AGAIN. This last time, the man that came to work on it went directly to Temptar for the part, was told they did not have the part, but he got a different part that would work. The man working on our unit asked Tempstar some questions and their reply was "yeah, we've had alot of trouble with that unit since he came out on the production line, it is junk. We recalled them, but not the people's that you are wokring on" What the hell!!! Sounds like a lawsuit to me!!! They are junk!!!!