Comparing over 45,000 air conditioners, boilers, furnaces and heat pumps

Consumer Reviews of RUUD heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about RUUD heat pumps

Date created: 2010-06-08 Name: M. Marti

"Home owner"
This 2.5ton unit was installed in 1985 by a local contractor, and the only problem that we had with it has been in my opinion due to poor installation, mainly electrical and drain system. Fortunately, I've been able to correct the problems myself. Now I've been told that the new units are so much more efficient that if I have a new one installed it will pay for itself, specially with the fpl rebates, factory incentives and tax breaks. After reading some reviews of newer units, I wonder?!

Date created: 2010-06-03 Name: Terry Gilbird

"do not buy a rudd"
Bought a Ruud heat pump in 2005 had nothing but trouble since day one. Have spent nearly two thousand dollars to try and keep this still warranty piece of junk working! Do not buy a Ruud!

Date created: 2010-05-12 Name: C. Tyer

"Sure don't make 'em like they used to"
My house was built in 1995, and while I wanted Carrier heat pumps, I was told that ruud would be better and less expensive. In August 2005, the downstairs 3 ton unit went out. I spent $2000 to have a 12 seer 3 ton condenser and coil installed. Essentially the complete unit! Now, not even 5 years later, the same unit isn't working. I'm trusting that God has things under control and that this aggravation for me is just because He wants the problem to occur while still (barely) under warranty. We'll see. I don't anticipate ever buying another ruud, however if it needs replacing.

Date created: 2010-05-06 Name: Tom

"Works very well"
We had a Ruud heat pump installed at the time we built this house. It has always cooled and heated well. I think most of the complaints I have seen would point to poor service on the installers part. I'm buying a new one this month and will be buying a Ruud.

Date created: 2010-05-06 Name: D. Bronson

"Pretty Good long term"
We have 2 Ruud units covering a 2700 sq. ft. house which we've owned for 10 of its 20-year lifespan. Both units have had some servicing but nothing major or hugely expensive - mostly adding freon - about once a year something goes on one unit or the other. Given the age of the units and the comments I've read on this site I feel more positive than I did after writing today's check. It's about time to replace them but I sure don't know where to go given all the negative experiences detailed here.

Date created: 2010-04-04 Name: Kim R.

"RUDD Heat Pump"
The unit is from 1984. I have owned the home for 5.5 years and have never serviced it. I am doing some research on replacing it for the tax credit and to increase the energy efficiency. Not sure if I will buy another one as it seems like the quality has gone down over the years. Seems like the quality of all heat pumps has gone down over the years when I read reviews on the different makers.

Date created: 2010-02-24 Name: Richard Winstead

"RUUD HVAC systems are the WORST!"
August 09 - Downstairs heat pump capacitor failed, December 09 - Upstairs heat pump thermostat control valve failed, February 10 - Downstairs heat pump fan failed, Today - Upstairs central unit fan seized! Funny thing is - the house is 4 years old!!!! Well, now I predict the downstairs central unit will fail...

Date created: 2010-02-01 Name: Jason Anderson

"Rudd is not the way to go."
My heat pump is a Ruud 13 sheer 5 ton unit. I have had the unit for a little over a year and have had catastrophic failures (yes that is plural). First, the air handler blower motor which is supposed to be indestructible, destructed in less than a year. The day that was fixed (after being down for a few days) The outside unit had a copper tube vibrate until there was a hole leaking out all of the refrigerant. That would be a design flaw, good job guys. Now, I have had two failures in as many days. The installer / servicer stopped by this morning to fix the units after both stopped over the weekend. A few hours after he left, the unit kicked the bucket again. I have two small children and the area we live in gets very cold in the winter. As a matter of fact, when I left the house this morning, it was 9degF outside. This was one of the worst investments I have ever made. Pure junk!

Date created: 2010-01-13 Name: ET
Location: Central Virginia

"Buy Ruud and pay a technician $80 for a reset"
Ruud doesn't have reset buttons on their units, supposedly to keep the systems from being destroyed by problems ignored by owners. Pay $80.00 for a serviceman to come out and hit two contact points instead. After the first experience, I changed the filters more often and had a $120 winter tune up. $120 to find out the system needed "a little cleaning." And I woke up to 58 degrees (because I have good insulation) three mornings ago. I'd hit the contact points myself but I'd probably void the warranty. The serviceman has nothing but excuses. Fortunately, I have backup heat. When I get a chance in a couple of days, I'll call the Better Business Bureau first and then Ruud, demanding a serviceman who will give me some answers and, with hope, a reset switch. Don't buy a Ruud, especially in Central Virginia.

Date created: 2010-01-04 Name: Chad Gibbs

"AVOID RUUD Heat Pumps!"
I have four of these units (one ton unit on main level, upstairs and basement; half ton unit for bonus room above garage). I have spent more than I care to add on replacing coils, switches, etc. The parts have been under warranty but the labor isn't. Warranty expires this year and I'm starting to worry. People say that heat pumps are more efficient and will save on your electric bill, but I have spent 10 times on repair labor than I would have ever spent on heating and cooling bills. Please, for the love of God, avoid Ruud heat pumps. You can thank me later or you can think, "I should have listened to that guy..."