Consumer Reviews of RUUD heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about RUUD heat pumps

Date created: 2013-02-21 Name: C. Brown
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

"RUUD Will Not Stand By Their Product!"
We purchased a new ruud Heat-Pump unit from Precision Air and Heating and the company did not stand behind the product they sell. From Photos taken, the unit clearly had a manufacturing / quality issue. Note! This unit was only about 17 months old. Precision nor ruud, the manufacturer, would not take responsibility for the manufacturing issue which allowed two refrigerant lines to rub together, causing a leak in one of the lines and releasing all the of the refrigerant. This defect was clearly due to manufacturing, as the photos taken by the service tech indicate. We contacted ruud but they refused to reimburse any of the costs. They stated that because the unit was not serviced that they would not stand behind the defect in workmanship. When talking with Precision Airís Customer Service Manager he too agreed the two lines touching would not have been seen during an annual ac Tune Up. According to Precision Air this was not a failure of a component or due to lack of service. We should have been have been reimbursed by both Precision Air and ruud. Neither happened. beware: ruud does not stand by their product.

Date created: 2013-02-19 Name: J. Henderson
Location: Alamo,Tx.

"owner"
Unit is RQPM-A024. In less than 2 years we lost the indoor fan motor and evaporator coil. The new coil that was installed was defective ( the metal plate that hold the coil to cabinet was loose on tubing. The coil can move causing the copper tubing to wear and leak. After trying to cotact Rudd with no reaponce we will be left with the cost to replace this when it leaks. Evaporator coils should never be made this way (junk from some other county). Our dealer has had no luck with Rudd.

Date created: 2013-01-11 Name: Rudy Barnes
Location: Rowland, NC

"Amazing life span"
My ranch style brick home was built in summer of 1982 with approximately 1700 square feet heated. An extra 280 feet added in 2006. It is still heated and cooled by the original Ruud 2.5 ton package heat pump. The only repairs have been thermostat, control relay, and condenser fan motor. Not bad for 30 years. Even though it is still working I will be replacing it with a new Ruud rqpm 14 seer unit in a few weeks. Can't say enough good things about Ruud.

Date created: 2012-11-14 Name: C. Nealy
Location: Florida

"Great system"
Electric bills cut in half on 8th year with no issues.

Date created: 2012-06-02 Name: Mark E.
Location: Pasadena, CA

"I've been Rheemed by Ruud!!!"
I was one of the idiots who got the 5 year warranty but it leaked on day one. Of course our brainiac installer bought a one way ticket to Costa Rica and we can't get any help from Ruud. $2,000+ later in service repairs and water damage caused by the rooftop package, it's safe to say this is the worst piece of crap we have ever invested in! Do yourself a favor and stay away from Ruud/Rheem!!

Date created: 2012-01-25 Name: Jonathan L.
Location: Stafford, VA

"Oh Dear !!!"
To be fair, this townhome was bought this past Oct. So I don't have a long history with this system. But I do know that I'm tired of it blowing cool/slightly warm air on the heat settings and can only get good heat in emergency heat. Was told to hit reset button by the home warranty person which is supposedly right inside the motor blower door. Don't know where to find this anywhere. Can't find a reset button in any manual or anywhere. Just decided we will hurry up and get our fireplace cleaned and look into a fireplace blower & electric space heaters due to the overwhelming response about Rrheem/Ruuds spiraling downhill on "quality". What to do, what to do?

Date created: 2011-12-11 Name: George
Location: Brownstown, UN

"Shuts down every time it gets cold"
It breaks down every year. Have had to replace several parts. Has cost me over $1,500 just to keep it. And again yesterday now the fan won't work. I will never by this brand again. Going shopping for a new system tomorrow.

Date created: 2011-11-25 Name: RONNIE WHEAT
Location: TOMPKINSVILLE KY.

"Last will and testement -- just killed the Ruud heat pump"
This will be my last post, Rheem/Ruud has let me fall to the ground: no help, won't respond to any of my e-mails. Still holding my 10 year warranty in hand, it's not worth a crap. Never treated this way on any big item in my whole life. So Rheem/Ruud if you ever read any of your heat pump reviews, you can kiss my a**. And if I live to be 110 I will drag Rheem/Ruud through the mud.

Date created: 2011-11-21 Location: Charleston SC

"Ruud Heat Pump Review"
This heat pump system was manufactured in February of 1998. It was the original system in my sister's house. I do hvac work, so when I upgraded them to a new unit, I kept this one and installed it in my house. I have had this unit since 2006. I like the fact that it has been reliable and only required one major repair and several minor ones. The major repair was replacing the coil in the air handler section, which is no reflection on the actual outside heat pump condenser unit. As I am in the hvac industry, I used to sell similar models of Ruud units, which I recommended. However, Ruud no longer makes this exact style of unit, and based on what I know of newer Ruud units, I would not recommend them nowadays.

Date created: 2011-09-19 Name: Ronnie L. Wheat
Location: TOMPKINSVILLE KY>

"I feel sorry for any one owning a reem or ruud heat pump"
Here it's fall, getting colder, I'm stuck with a ruud heat pump UPNK-024JAZ that's been worked on from day one. It has a sticking reversing valve. Been replaced three times this winter. When unit goes into defrost cycle, it won't change back to heat. Had to pull cover and tap with wooden object. Reem and Ruud will not do anything about it. Now for the bad part, I have a 10 year warranty. Installer quit in the fifth year or owner ship. Reem-Ruud is telling me the installer wasn't qualified to write that warranty. I guess I was supposed to know all this. Now for every one's information, I ordered a reem, got a ruud, same unit with a different name, reem owns ruud if I had got what I ordered (reem) I would have a 10 year warranty. But since I ended up with a ruud they only offer a 5 year warranty. Even though I have a 10 year in hand. reem-ruud refuses to help in any way. please tell all you know, if considering buying a heat pump, don't think about reem-ruud they don't give a damn about you after they have your money. You may be getting tired of reading all my gripes, but I want the whole world to know how this big company will do you, I e-mail the big boys at reem ever week with no answer and no satfiction. Wouldn't take another ruud heat pump if they give it to me. Never buy a reem or ruud. I wish this site had a category that is even worse than very unsatisfied I'm in that category.