Consumer Reviews of RUUD heat pumps

Read more about RUUD heat pumps

Date created: 2014-01-30 Name: Jeff Branch
Location: Richmond, Va

"Ruud still makes them like they used to!"
I have sold and installed Ruud 1.5 ton systems up to 25 ton rooftops. Their durability is second to none. Do they go up to 21 Seer? No. Heat Pump is 17 and a/c is 19. Good enough for me, after 15 your treading water anyway. I've sold and installed Carrier, Bryant, Rheem, Ruud, Comfortmaker, Payne, Trane, Lennox, and York. Ruud is by far the top of the line. Durability is as good or better than anyone'S. They are quiet, very affordable compared to the other brands mentioned, and literally will last forever. I changed out 42 systems last year, one was a 30 year old Ruud, three were Goodman, one was a Bryant, the rest were Carrier. Carrier is just a name. If you want to know that when you get home from work you will have heat or a/c, go Ruud. You cannot go wrong. As with the others, it's like playing the lottery.

Date created: 2014-01-20 Name: John Winfield
Location: Richmond, Va

"Most reliable system I have ever owned"
I used to be in the HVAC field, and have had American Standard, Carrier, Payne, Ducayne, and York. The worst were the Carrier and the York, although it is a toss up. The most reliable system I have ever owned is the Ruud Value series, thats right, value series. I would put it up against any of the above any day. It is durable, quiet, and a workhorse. I have friends that had Carriers installed recently, and have had techs out to their house 3-5 times within 7 months! Junk. Buy Ruud, you can't go wrong

Date created: 2013-12-02 Name: Mr.T
Location: Oregon

"10 Years and Happy With It"
It's 10 years old and running like new. I've actually checked the efficiency (cop) with instrumentation a few times and it's been close to specs. It's a split-level 3600 Sq Ft home, but it's only a 3.5 ton unit. The actual balance point (the lowest temp that the heat pump can maintain setpoint without aux heat) is 20 deg f -- which is pretty good. Our home is fairly energy efficient. However, there have been a couple of issues. Machines rarely go 10 years without any problems. At about the 3 year point, there was a refrigerant leak caused by vibration wear from a small copper line being assembled too close to some metal. It's likely a rare problem and thankfully, it was in a location that was easy to silver solder. There's also been a couple failed motor capacitors, but that's normal after several years and they're cheap to replace. Repairs were by me, but I'm not in the HVAC business. Needless to say, these are not the average DIY repairs. Changing filters is important for air flow and a clean heat exchanger. This system has the large 5" thick box filters with a differential gauge to indicate when it's getting clogged. Bottom line is that, despite the odd leak repair and a couple worn out capacitors, it's been a very efficient system for 10 years and counting.

Date created: 2013-11-14 Name: Madman
Location: Georgia

"Buyer Beware!"
2 1/2-year old heat pump and the expansion valve broke. So from my understanding, it is a known issue among these units. You'd think since Ruud knows they have an issue, they'd make a little more effort to compensate. And I tried, believe me. Part was covered under warranty but the labor involved was much more than the cost of the part. The new expansion valve is supposed to be improved according to the tech. We will see. Maybe this one will last more than a couple of years. To think I had other quotes for the same price and equivalent unit of unheard brands and went with this one, since I know the Ruud/Rheem name (roll eyes). I'll likely not buy another Ruud. Should have paid the extra and went with Trane like I wanted to.

Date created: 2013-11-09 Name: George Johnson
Location: Ca.

"Very Nice"
It has been working great for 9 years.

Date created: 2013-09-13 Name: T. East

"Never Worked"
I contacted Southern Comfort Heating & Air Co. for a unit as I was remodeling and it was required for the loan. This house never had central heat or air before. So therefore, I relied totally on this company to guide me, wrong wrong. This system has never cooled or kept the house warm from day one. I have had problems with it every time I've turned it on. Cannot get the company to come back and check it anymore. Just went out of warranty and was told today it was scrap, and it's only 5 years old. I thought I'd get around 20 years out of it. If Ruud is #1, I think I'll just go with the window units and stick with the wall mount heating. I had to put in to help the Ruud out. At least with window unit cooling, I'm not sweating while cleaning the house. It's terrible when your VAC puts out more heat than your heat pump.

Date created: 2013-09-02 Name: J.Washington
Location: MI.

"Nicely Done"
Not worried about this winter. It does the job. Cools great too! Stayed a summer in Arizona 3 years ago and our Ruud did the job there. Quiet. Our last one of another brand was too noisy and blew hot air for 20 feet. You could hear it inside the house.

Date created: 2013-06-06 Name: mwaters
Location: Richmond, Va

"Ruud Against Carrier or Trane Anyday"
I have sold over 100 Ruud split systems as well as commercial rooftop units. Ruud tankless water heaters, Ruud Aquatherm units, Ruud generators, Ruud hydronic air handlers, as well as a large selection of Ruud IAQ products. My dealers and other customers love the Ruud brand and continuously tell me they would put it up against Trane or Carrier or anything else, any day. The report on the current Ruud equipment is it's good looking, state of the art, very competitive prices, and as durable as they get. Even the Value Series Condensing Units and Dry Charged Units come with full Grill Guards. I have sold Carrier, Trane, Comfortmaker, Bryant, Payne, and Grandaire, and I have had little to no call backs with Ruud compared to the other equipments. Very happy with the Ruud line.

Date created: 2013-06-05 Name: jadams
Location: trussville, al

"Piece of Shi*****"
I'd never get a Ruud again! I've lived in a brand new house since 2007. I've had no stop problems with both of my heat pumps for upstairs and downstairs! It's been leaking freon since 2011, and I was told it wasn't under warranty! I had a Carrier (1 unit) in New Jersey and it never gave us a problem! More expensive but saves you money and aggravation in the long run! And if you live in Birmingham, NEVER use Darden Green or Trinity!!!

Date created: 2013-02-21 Name: C. Brown
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

"RUUD Will Not Stand By Their Product!"
We purchased a new ruud Heat-Pump unit from Precision Air and Heating and the company did not stand behind the product they sell. From Photos taken, the unit clearly had a manufacturing / quality issue. Note! This unit was only about 17 months old. Precision nor ruud, the manufacturer, would not take responsibility for the manufacturing issue which allowed two refrigerant lines to rub together, causing a leak in one of the lines and releasing all the of the refrigerant. This defect was clearly due to manufacturing, as the photos taken by the service tech indicate. We contacted ruud but they refused to reimburse any of the costs. They stated that because the unit was not serviced that they would not stand behind the defect in workmanship. When talking with Precision Airís Customer Service Manager he too agreed the two lines touching would not have been seen during an annual ac Tune Up. According to Precision Air this was not a failure of a component or due to lack of service. We should have been have been reimbursed by both Precision Air and ruud. Neither happened. beware: ruud does not stand by their product.