Comparing over 45,000 air conditioners, boilers, furnaces and heat pumps

Consumer Reviews of Rheem heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about Rheem heat pumps

Date created: 2009-03-09 Name: The Websters
Location: Walkertown, NC

"Rheem we will miss you!!"
Great unit!!! Served 22 years faithfully. For the first ten years we never even had to touch it! Always kept us warm in winter and cold in summer. We will miss our Rheem unit, our compresser went bad. No complaints at all!! We will miss its dependable service.

Date created: 2009-02-26 Name: R. Boney
Location: Ohio

"No complaints"
Installed this unit when we built the house. Have never had to have it worked on. After 19 years, the compressor finally gave out. Talked to several servicemen and they all said average life in this area for a heat pump is 10 years, so can't complain.

Date created: 2009-02-18 Name: J. Stalnaker
Location: Southwest Virginia

"Homeone"
Installed brand new Rheem heat pump in August 2007. December 2007 had to call rheem rep. Needed anti-freeze he said. Jan. 2008. Heat pump froze up. Too much anit-freeze. Nov. 2008. On emergency heat. Were informed by rep that Rheem knew it had this problem. Parts replaced. Good as new! Wrong. Today 18 Feb. called repairman. Informed us that Rheem knew these products were faulty and that he (rep) was waiting to hear from Rheem as regards to recalls. In the meantime, I'm boiling, and it's not from the heat Rheem produces.

Date created: 2009-02-17 Name: C Williams
Location: Asheboro, NC

"Loud Start Up"
I just had a Rheem Heat Pump installed. The install was a bit messy (my fault, trying to help a guy starting his own business)The unit seems to be working fine, but the start ups are the loudest I've heard. It takes between 10 and 30 seconds for the compressor to quiet down after start up. I had an experience tech take a look and he said Rheems were notorious for loud compressor starts. Not sure why, but it's very annoying. It looks like technology would be getting better to eliminate the obvious. My last unit was 20 years old and much more quiet.

Date created: 2009-01-30 Name: D. Elswick
Location: Richmond, VA

"Rheem's a hummer"
This Rheem replaced a Rudd (20+ years old). I know its the same company. No problems during the 1st 9 years - then the unit started humming. Located in basement but it will drown out the tv which is upstairs. Then the outside unit started humming even louder. Talked to 2 licensed Rheem repair companies - both said the same thing "You just got a hummer". But how do you shut it UP? ! Hum will get so loud at times, it's very irrating. Just makes you want to scream when it goes on and on for over 30 minutes at a time. It feels like your bones are vibrarting to the beat of the hum. They said you would have the replace the copper tubing that runs from the outside to the inside - and even then - they could not guarantee that this would shut it up. I too have heard from other repair copanies that HP only last about 10 years. But this house, I used to rent to my parents. While I lived in another house - which had a HP that was about 18 years old when it died.

Date created: 2008-12-24 Name: S. Buchsbaum
Location: Stamford, CT

"I got rheemed!"
What a lousy piece of equipment! For the rather short life of this unit, I never felt that my condominium was ever heated properly. Whenever it got below freezing it seems that my Rheem heat pump couldn't keep up with the cold. That's all over now because at the beginning of a month long heat wave in July of 2008, the heat pump's compressor exploded. And I was just out of warranty on that darned compressor. After several estimates, lots of research, and many thousands of dollars, I replaced the entire system with a matched Trane heat pump and air handler and programable thermostat. I am now happy and warm. (See my review of the Trane equipment in the Trane section.)

Date created: 2008-11-15 Name: M.Weinrich
Location: Palm Coast, Florida

"HOMEOWNER"
Rheem is an appropriate name for a company that treats its customers so poorly. My 5 year Rheem unit developed leaks in all the coils, replacement cost approx$500. My warrantee expired 11/04, my problems occurred on 11/06, 11/10..Rheem would not honor my warrantee at all. I had to replace entire system.

Date created: 2008-10-30 Name: WSG
Location: Tpa. FL

"Dependable,Economical."
Unit (3.5 ton heat pump) has performed reliably for 17 years. Two repairs, Condenser Fan, Compressor Contactor. Utilized heat recovery option to make hot water. Will replace next spring with another Rheem unit. Annual maintenance is key, licensed contractor should always be involved. I've certainly received my monies worth and will with out hesitation purchase another.

Date created: 2008-09-24 Name: Richard Kovach
Location: Malabar, FL

"Homeowner"
Worst I ever owned. In 18 months I had two compressor fan failures, and the circuit breaker in the top of the air handler failed. Professionally installed. NEVER AGAIN

Date created: 2008-08-05 Name: Hal R
Location: Eagle Point, Oregon

"so far, so good"
This 2.5 ton unit was installed new, new house, in 2005. I maintain the both coils myself, and clean the system twice a year. It stays right up with 100 deg+ to 20's and 30's in the winter. Air handler is quite, scroll compressor is nice and quite too. I don't know if I would have picked Rheem if the contractor didn't, but now that I have one, I think it blows the socks off of my former Bryant, and a Carrier (that I will never have again). It has never needed service in the 3 years so far, which is a testament to a well installed and soldered copper system. If you look through all of the reviews on this sight, you will see that most hammer on their equipment, with a 2 out of 5. It sounds like a lot were oversold, with larger systems than they needed, with rapid cycling, freezing up, in all the brands. Upsold? Taken advantage of? I don't know. Sizing is very important for longevity and efficiency. Folks that post here, seem to have an axe to grind. Rheem has been in business since 1927. If all of their systems were horrible, do you think they would still be in business? Today, it was 101. Output was 56deg, with an input of 77 deg. Running pretty darn well. Heat pump side runs on the compressor down to the mid/lower 20's, without needing aux heat. I am pretty happy with it so far.