Comparing over 45,000 air conditioners, boilers, furnaces and heat pumps

Consumer Reviews of Rheem heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about Rheem heat pumps

Date created: 2010-01-31 Name: W. McKee
Location: Texas Hill

"Good A/C - Poor Heat Pump"
1st summer, compressor died. Once replaced (great 10 year warranty), it cooled great in sweltering high humidity Texas Hill Country heat. Bad news come winter, when temp goes below 42 degrees it won't heat unless you turn on strips! Those strips cost $25 to $40 per hour to run (220 volts at 60amps). Uses area 110v oil heaters to supplement (2) and get daily cost dow to $9-10. Thank goodness for pec which provides ability to monitor use on 24 hour basis.

Date created: 2010-01-31 Name: Taylors HVACR

"owner"
I'm a HVACR contractor. Most of the complaints I've read here have to do with poor install/design. I do a manual j calculation on all new/replacement jobs. I have found many over sized units as well as very bad duct design. I have down sized replacement equip. and customers were extremely satisfied. Condo/trac home construction has a high infiltration/poor duct work that are responsible for most equip. complaints. I have installed Rheem products for 15+ years. I have had very little problems in all those years. They are of very good quality.

Date created: 2010-01-02 Name: J. Zima

"jena1234"
Tooo noisy! Terrible response to even look at the problem. Asked to have the quietest heat pump installed, as it is next my bedroom. Now they, the installer and rep, can't understand why I'm not satisfied. Sounds like a lawnmower, defrosts like an airplane landing and stops running like the trash compactor. Since I no longer sleep, its affecting my health.

Date created: 2009-12-12 Name: Debbie Armstrong

"very unsatisfied"
I got talked into putting a heat pump in my shop. Since then, my bills have gone up an extra $300 every 3 months and had to replace the wiring on the unit. I'm going to replace it with gas instance hot water.

Date created: 2009-11-14 Name: W. Wells

"Weatherking"
Less than one year and the compressor is not running, still waiting to hear from the contractor.

Date created: 2009-08-03 Name: TJ O'BRIEN

"DEFROST CONTROL BOARD"
The tech told me to replace defrost control board since the o/a fan was always running. board # 47 102684-83 replaced with no change. I suspect a foreign voltage getting into the board when the o/a main fuses are pulled. any answers? Where can I get a drawing of the unit?

Date created: 2009-07-21 Name: Tbone
Location: Las Vegas

"MY 4 YR OLD RHEEM HEAT PUMP HAS BEEN FABULOUS"
Wow! I have to say I am somewhat perplexed with the rheem negative reviews. I bought a brand new 3 ton heat pump unit (12 seer) for one of my rental properties. I've owned it for 5 yrs and have not had one problem. Not one service call! Unit blows ice cold in the 115 degree Las Vegas summers and keeps the house toasty warm in the winter. I was told and have read, that rheem and rudd are rated as requiring the least repairs by consumer reports. My unit was installed by a reputable, highly recommended authorized rheem dealer and contractor/installer. That same contractor is coming over to my primary residence to give me a rheem quote for one of my failing heat pump units that is over 2 yrs old. I'll stick with the rheem.

Date created: 2009-07-21 Name: J. E.

"Control Unit is the weak spot on my unit"
We have been experiencing "glitches" with out Rheem heat pump for years. Our problems have been with the control unit. Over the past 5 years, we have had technicians replace or rewire pieces of the control unit. Typical service call runs between 200 and 500 dollars.

Date created: 2009-05-11 Name: William Good

"rheem or not to rheem"
Bought our condo new an our rheem has given very little trouble, compressor just gave out this weekend, so looking for another unit.hope I can find one as good as this one but every contractor tells me something different so im confused an going to have to go with my gut on chooseing a new one

Date created: 2009-03-12 Name: Tom Hurley
Location: Alden, IA

"tom hurley"
Bought this unit in June 2008 and was told that it would run very economically! During Feburary 2009 the furnace was set at 56 degrees while no one was at home. when we returned we had the highest bill ever! The highest bill before was $333.33. this bill was $730.00. your dealer only said" try it a little longer" did not even check it! I checked with the power co. but no answers to why. I am very seriously thinking I will remove your one year old heat pump