Consumer Reviews of Payne heat pumps

Read more about Payne heat pumps

Date created: 2009-01-14 Name: James Nielsen
Location: Seven Lakes, NC

"Bad Unit"
Very poor design on this Payne heat pump. I have had this unit repaired three times due to poor wiring location in the unit. The first time a wire shorted to the freon line and lost all the charge. The last time a wire burned open and the compressor would not come on. This cost me almost $500.00 for heat since the electric heaters came on when the thermostat called for heat. These problems could have been avoided if the wiring was routed correctly.

Date created: 2009-01-01 Name: Arra Jones

"Payne Heat Pump"
New. Heating bills have tripled....has not worked right since purchased.

Date created: 2008-12-18 Name: Linda Alexander
Location: Hot Springs, AR

"Payne should be spelled PAIN"
I bought this unit in 2001. It has leaked freon since day one. It was supposed to be cheaper to run. My electricity bill was $600 the first month. Found out it was not wired correctly. I had it serviced about on average every other month. When the warranty expired I called another company. When I told them what kind it was they offered their condolences. Two nights ago it started smoking. We are not sure where it was smoldering from. The fire department thinks it is the coil. The coil looks okay so I am not sure where it was smoking from. Would never recommend this brand or the company that ripped me off to anyone.

Date created: 2008-12-04 Name: RonnieQ
Location: TN

"RonnieQ"
I have changed my review for the better. I found out the problem with my outdoor coil icing over. The defrost temp sensor was located on the inlet side of the outdoor coil which was telling the defrost board that the coil was defrosted already when it was not. I moved the sensor to the return side of the coil. The outside coil was completely frosted over and on the first defrost cycle after I moved the sensor, the coil almost completely defrosted after remaining in the dft mode for the max of 10 minutes. The unit is defrosting the way it is supposed to now. My unit came from the factory that way with the sensor in the wrong location. I will review my unit again later. By the way, mine is a 3 ton ph3z which is the all-in-one unit.

Date created: 2008-11-29 Name: RonnieQ
Location: Kingsport, TN

"Ronnie"
I installed a 3 ton Payne ph3z which is an all-in-one unit in a mobile home I own. I am not an HVAC trained tech but am reasonably knowledgable in such things. I am experiencing the outdoor coil freezing solid. The defrost timer is set at 60 minutes default between defrost cycles and I am thinking of changing that to 30. At the moment I am neutral on the satisfaction scale but that could go down or up depending on if I get the icing issue resolved without reducing the efficiency too much of my unit. Anyone with any thoughts on this and will share them with me, my e-mail is ronsan108atcharterdotnet

Date created: 2008-09-09 Name: John Watson
Location: KY

"Terrible unit Payne"
Unit went out just after the one year. Of course they will not pay to have it replaced just for the part. Something needs to be done about an industry that only warrants a part for one year. Not Recommended Payne or Carrier, both junk !

Date created: 2008-08-26 Name: Gene G
Location: Langhorne, PA

"pyne H/P"
I have owned my heat pump for 8 yrs the only problem I had was with the defrost solenoid switch to witch I changed myself. It is a very simple unit to fix. Shop online to find parts and save hundreds of $$$$$

Date created: 2008-08-17 Name: Aryy
Location: Columbus, Ohio

"PAYNE HEAT PUMPS GETTING BAD RAP!"
I have had a Payne heat pump with a gas furnace for over 9 years with only issue this weekend. The pan went out on the heat pump. My heat pump performs stellar in the winter down to 30 degrees then I switch to 90% gas furnace. These units are made by Carrier / Bryant they are getting a bad rap they are just as good as any other one out there. The problem is installers not caring about what they are doing, make sure you get a Nate certified tech or donít do business with the company period.

Date created: 2008-07-05 Name: Mike Stewart
Location: PA

"Mike & Willa - Payne Owner"
I installed a Payne Heat Pump a few years back - running next to a oil hot air furnace - the heat pump cools in the summer and heats in the winter (no electric heat - just air transfer) - this unit runs fine. I am very anal when I braze and evacuate - sounds to me like your issues are with the installation contractor not the product. I run a duel-fuel system - also have a oil fired hot water system for domestic hot water. I use one tank of oil a year - not bad! I'm getting ready to install a 2.5 ton Payne heat pump for another person - Just think if everyone went this route - I've had the rest - buy one of the best!

Date created: 2008-06-04 Name: M. Morgan
Location: North Carolina

"The Worst I've ever Had!!"
Unit is only 3-years old and the fan/coil unit went bad on a hot summer day. Cost to replace the unit, $787.34, I bought a new Goodman for $922.18.