Consumer Reviews of Payne heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about Payne heat pumps

Date created: 2014-06-20 Name: K Blankenship
Location: Stafford, VA

"One month old today and its already freezing up"
$5600.00 spent. One day short of one month since the install and after less than one week of 95 degree weather the unit froze and stopped working. Thought maybe this was an unusual occurrence but after reading the reviews it seems the unit recommended to us by m&m Mechanical was money down the toilet - do not get burned like we did - do not buy this Payne air conditioner & heat pump if you want something that will work!!

Date created: 2014-06-12 Name: jack
Location: MD

"Unhappy customer :("
Installed Payne in 2009. I already paid 4 visits (each approximately $500) for broken parts of Payne. It cost me already about $2k for this visit. Previous brand was 27 years old - and if I could I would replace this with the old one - don't get Payne. Horrible horrible horrible.

Date created: 2014-01-27 Name: julia balthaser
Location: gaffney sc

"Payne is sure a pain!!!!"
Bought this unit 8 yrs a go and have had nothing but trouble w/ it ever since had at least one service call a year. I too am on Social Security and can't afford to replace. The electric bills are out of line $230- 330 in the winter. It always goes into defrost when it first comes on and then heat for 19 minutes then defrost again. It never turns off -- especially when it is this cold (10 degrees). This continues all night. I have a tech coming soon. I've been without heat for 3 days. I don't recommend a Payne to anyone. I wish I could get a hold of them I would give them a piece of my mind and it would not be good.

Date created: 2013-12-29 Name: sid ardman
Location: s.e.ky

"Payne, oh the pain, the pain"
Please stay away from Payne heatpumps or you will feel serious pain in your wallet and will be cold when the temp drops. The unit freezes up constantly and I've had 3 defrost boards installed by techs. I have to turn it off and then turn it to air conditioning setting and let it run for 15 mins or longer so it will defrost -- it's a real pain

Date created: 2013-06-06 Name: m.waters
Location: Richmond, Va

"The Name Says it All. Payne is a Pain!"
I stopped installing Payne units after last year. I got 3 out of 4 units in one week that had cracked auxiliary drain pans out of the box. The outdoor units have the equivalent of chicken wire to protect the coil and the fins. Payne is so overpriced it is not even funny. You can almost get Carrier for the price of Payne, which is no better. Stay away from Payne. I actually installed one in my house in 2008, and have had nothing but problems. Compressor, condenser fan motor, relays, fusible links on the strip heat, and on and on we go. Biggest piece of junk on the market in my opinion.

Date created: 2013-05-22 Name: Leo S.
Location: Orlando, FL

"One Year Review"
Needed a new system to replace a very old AC - electric heat unit. A very trusted tech that has been servicing my old unit for the past 5 years recommended a Payne heat pump and air handler. He did the load calculations for my house and recommended changing old 3.25 ton unit to 3.5 ton. I could not be happier with this unit. House more comfortable from day one. Electric bill dropped over $100 a month over old system. Has performed flawlessly over the past year both in heating and cooling mode. I did get quotes from other companies on other brand units before deciding to go with Payne, and I believe the reason most people have issues with any unit is improper sizing of the unit or bad installation. I had one company recommend a 3 ton unit because they did not have a 3.5. When I questioned them about how that could cool our house when the old 3.25 unit was struggling, they said they would increase the fan speed in the air handler and that would take of it. Another company recommended a 4 ton unit even though the calculations said it should be 3.5 ton. Research on the web told me this was a bad idea as it would not run long enough to remove the humidity. Glad I did not work with them either. Your unit must be properly sized and installed.

Date created: 2013-02-26 Name: Vickie
Location: Advance, NC

"Royal PAIN"
Unit installed apx 1 yr ago. Have had 3 service calls on it. One was for the unit freezing. Tech said sometimes that is common. We just need to take a mallot and bang the outside of it, until the ice comes off. How stupid is that.....and what happens if something else breaks because we are banging the outside? In 30 years, this is our 3 heat pump. We have had more problems with this unit than the others all together. Maybe we should call the tech. at 2am to come and bang the ice off...see how he likes it. We did not even want this unit, but was told that we had to take it because of out home warrenty. do not, I repeat, do not install this heat pump. The aux. light runs quite often....and....it never gets warm in the house. Just bank on it...yeah, right!

Date created: 2012-12-31 Name: steven senn
Location: Newberry,S.C.

"Bad Service"
I had payne unit 6 and half years ago. The unit was installed by Hazel Heat and Air. I had problems about 3 to 4 years go in winter time the unit runs up to degree you stand don't cut off . Fan keeps blowing out cold instead of hot . Meter on home steady runs up power bill. With problems with Hazei company, had to get Wilsons in Pomaria, S.C. to come out and fix. They did a great job something on the unit went bad also the lines had a blockage Hazel never put filters in freon lines. Now I am having the same problems again. I have a Goodman unit on the 2nd floor never had a problem except the didn't install and line filters also and very low air flow in the vents because the way they installed them. stay away from Hazel go Wilson if in my area of S.C.

Date created: 2012-10-30 Name: Harold Smith
Location: Charlotte, NC

"Payne is a pain"
Had a payne hvac new unit installed 5 years ago under home warranty. Have had to replace some computer chip in the air handler twice (at 500 a pop) and the heater fan has failed for the second time this past week. ac guy wants 1,335 to replace the fan this time. Save your money and go with any brand other than Payne.

Date created: 2012-10-18 Name: ROSS
Location: Charlotte Michigan

"16 SEER AIR TO AIR HEAT PUMP"
I installed a payne system last year and if you have a problem with yours, it wasn't installed correctly. Payne is the cheaper version of carrier. Same distributor and most components are the same. I installed trane equipment for 10 years and payne is the way to go. I heat my house for 2/3 of the heating season with payne and I will always be for something that is just as good but cheaper. Cut you lp bill in 2/3. How fast do you think it would pay itself off. Buy the highest seer available. It's still cheaper than other name brands. My balance point is 34 degrees. If you own one don't set it back it will blow cold during defrost.