Comparing over 45,000 air conditioners, boilers, furnaces and heat pumps

Consumer Reviews of MAYTAG heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about MAYTAG heat pumps

Date created: 2011-03-01 Name: T. Glover
Location: Eastern, N.C.

"Sweet"
September 2008 my contractor talked me into a 2 1/2 ton 1200 series Maytag heat pump. I has hard up for a Trane but eventhough he was a dealer for Trane he made the Maytag sound just as good for a cheaper price. Nordyne makes Maytag and they have been around for years so i figured i would give it a try. I have a Trane 2 1/2 ton upstairs and we keep both t-stats set at 74 year round. The Trane is a 2006 but a 16 seer. Our Maytag is a 15 seer package unit and burns less electricity than the Trane by about 11 %. We know this because we rent the upstairs out and have seperate meters. I love the Maytag system, efficient and extremely quiet.

Date created: 2011-02-24 Name: G Vann
Location: Macon, NC

"THE WORST"
Replaced an aging Trane when we remodeled with a split system, 2 years ago. Worst mistake of my life. Most winter bills are over $500, up to $650. Company who installed it is helpful and courteous enough, but we have had them out regularly about 5-6 times to diagnose why we stay so cold. They keep trying different things but we get no cure. I wish I had stuck to my guns when my builder recommended them. I asked for Trane or Lennox. Now all I can do is warn others from making same mistake. Run, don't walk away from this unit.

Date created: 2011-02-21 Name: Joe
Location: Jacksonville NC

"Heat pump and AC upgrade"
Bought it last year 16 seer 4 ton and we have not had any issues. Our electric bill has decreased by about 30% and it came with a 12 year worry free guarantee. I believe our contactor made all the difference because he seem to know the ins and outs of the unit and with all the safety and new specs required on these new systems.

Date created: 2011-02-19 Name: R. Harrison
Location: Duck NC

"Not what I expected"
Spent a lot of money to have systems updated 2 years ago. The outside units sounds like a 747 taking off when they start. The first year my electric bill in the winter DOUBLED. I figured maybe just a cold winter. The second year the the electric bill was also double what they were with my 15 year old system. I expected my electric bill to be less NOT MORE.

Date created: 2011-01-12 Name: Red
Location: Dayton OH

"Junky heat pump"
Initially we were very excitedwitht he unit, installed oct 2008. (after not working the very first day...that should have been out first clue). Since Jan 2010 contractor has been out every 2 to 4 months. Similar to other reviews, this last time we did not know there was a problem until we received a $900 heating bill!! The house was warm because the unit never used the heat pump! Installer cannot find the problem.. Why would Maytag not have a thermostat that tells you when the heat pump is not working? We spent alot of money on this unit. We also have one of the Maytag Neptune washer/dryer units....we were caught in a poorly designed unit ...also have put lots of money into these expensive units...we like the unit but too bag Maytag uses junky parts.

Date created: 2011-01-11 Name: b. hester
Location: NORTH CArolina

"owner"
To all the customers having problems with there equipment i guarentee that it is contractor problems. I've had my maytag system for 3 yrs now and havent had a minutes trouble with it. Its quit and reliable.. To all you Trane lovers, i have 3 rental properties with trane equipment. Eventhough they get pm every year, I have had a reversing valve bad on one, expansion valve bad on another, and a fan motor put in another. All units installed in 2006. XL models at that...

Date created: 2011-01-10 Name: D. Crowther
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL

"Great Heat Pump better than Trane"
Just bought an M1200 heat pump in December 2010. Very efficient and quiet. Low power bill better heating and cooling. Installed by Jolly Heating and Cooling in Alabama. Please do lots of research on your installer. DO NOT JUST GO WITH THE LOWEST BIDDER!!!! Do your own research on HVAC and have a long talk with the installer. Almost all these problems people are having is the installers fault and not the equipment. Most of the contractors out there don't even read the paperwork that comes with the unit. They think they know it all when they don't. Our installer was THE BEST!

Date created: 2011-01-07 Name: Scott Wright
Location: Fletcher, NC

"13 Seer"
Let me start out by saying that we had a Train when we lived in our Mobile Home. Had it for 11 years and never any trouble. We purchased this current unit 5 years ago. We have had it worked on every year since. I can't blame the repair company because the unit is a piece of junk. I believe that this unit deserves the lemon award. As one other review stated until we got our electric bill that jumped $250 making it a hugh $380 bill, one in which we have never had that high, did we know there was a problem. But this was after we had in worked on in October and our electric bill increased $50 after the work and we only run the unit 1 week. We are very conservative. I have kept the heat on 65 closed off spare rooms don't use the dryer nor the dishwasher because of cold weather knew that the electic bill would increase. Never in my mind did I imagine this. So process of elimination to figure out the problem once again was our heat pump was the issue. Not only do we have to pay the electric bill but we have to pay labor. The parts are covered but we just paid $450 labor in October now add $300 extra for electric bill and now another $350 for labor again. Called Maytag and they don't care they have sold the warranty division off and they don't care that their units are junk. Please don't think that the Maytag name is a quailty name to associate with a product because that is not true. I would never recommend no matter how many years the warranty is because you have to pay the labor and you have to have them worked on at least once per year if not 2X per year.

Date created: 2010-12-21 Name: Charlie Taylor
Location: Butler, TN

"DO NOT BUY"
We replaced our Trane HVAC with Maytag and that was a mistake. The first winter the compressor burned up and there was not a signal other than the $500.00 electric bill to let us know we were operating on heat strips. This winter the whole compressor froze solid and we are once again waiting for parts and running on heat strips for the last week while we wait for parts. If your dealer does not have a complete inventory of multiple parts for the unit you purchase, the warranty Maytag promises for 12 years is not worth the paper its on.

Date created: 2010-12-20 Name: Tom Smeltzer
Location: Sevierville, TN.

"Disappointed in TN."
We purchased a 3 Ton M1000 Heat Pump System 10 SEER w/10kw Aux. Heat in April 2006 to replace 10 year old Janitrol. This past summer the unit ran continually, unable to keep the inside temperature below 76 degrees most days and even most nights. Now with winter here when the outside temp is below 40 degrees the unit runs continually and the inside temp is never higher then 65 degrees. Our last months electric bill was a record high $700. HVAC contractor/installer says that everything is operating to factory specs and cannot identify or explain the problem even after installing all new ductwork (waste of money).He now recommends replacing this less then 5 year old unit with 4 ton Bryant unit.