Consumer Reviews of LUXAIRE heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about LUXAIRE heat pumps

Date created: 2010-02-18 Name: A Mad Consumer

"Worst purchase ever"
We purchased a new heat pump with nat gas furnace back up in Oct 2006. The first winter, it was fine. At the end of the second winter/beginning of ac season, we had to replace the outside fan motor. The third winter, we had to replace the compressor. It began freezing over after the replacement and we were told this was normal. Now, the 4th winter, it has continued freezing over to the point that it is running constantly on back up heat even when the temp is in the 30's and 40'S. We have $400 in heating bills this month and my repairman had the nerve to tell me the inability for my unit to run properly has nothing to do with the high heat bills. Really???? It is costing as much to run this unit in the winter as it did to run the 47 year old monster we had previously. We wish we could rip it out and get something else, but we paid way too much for this one and the company certainly isn't going to make good on this lemon.

Date created: 2010-02-10 Name: Jane Ptoctor

"Luxaire"
I'm sure no one will believe me but the Luxaire unit has lasted 29 yrs! And the only maintenance was adding freon every few years. Meanwhile, we had to purchase 2 Trane units in the same period of time. The first Trane compressor went out just as the warranty expired. Great timing! Compressors are very expensive, by the way.

Date created: 2010-02-10 Name: JR
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

"NE ohio heatpump"
I bought a Luxaire lhjf model 3-ton heat pump. It is 14.5 seer. I matched it with the Luxaire 3.5 ton coil. I had the txv valve installed in the field on the coil. It works great. I'm in a Northern climate (Cleveland, Ohio). I can heat my house with this thing down to 15 degrees. I run my gas furnace as backup when it is snowing to avoid defrosting a lot and when it's below 25. I tested on very cold days to see what the heat pump can do. It's also cheap to run. You can run this thing a lot and it will only add like $50 to $75 to your electric bill. Nice to have with the gas furnace as backup. No problems so far. Only had it installed since October 2009 but used a lot already. I did have some loud noise off it, but I tightened some screws and this vibration and noise stopped. Overall, the unit is very quiet. This model has a jacket around the compressor. Overall, it's a great value.

Date created: 2010-01-03 Name: Suna

"Constant problems"
I have head problems each year. Freon replaced twice. Never had trouble with York (used for 15 years) and the salesman tells me it is made by the same company and same unit sold under a different name.

Date created: 2009-08-03 Name: J langley

"Luxaire A/C"
Owned three in my 4200sq/ft home. Two had no problems one would blow an "o" ring out after every winter leaking all of the freon. Overall I am pleased. Service is the key.

Date created: 2009-06-15 Name: T. McClelland

"Too many problems to mention"
New build, installed Heat Pump new. Our house is now 5 years old. We have had problems with the Heat Pump every year. Coils, condenser, another condenser, all of the freon leaked due to an equipt. failure. This thing is a lemon. My plan is to do battle with corporate tomorrow, my service guy claims he has done all he can do. a small vacuum line to the compressor failed, moisture got into the system and fried it. Inferior components, inferior construction, I am very unimpressed. New system cost $2260.00 w/o labor, and freon for unit. do not buy this unit, do not buy luxaire!

Date created: 2009-06-14 Name: Mrs Christman

"Bad Compressors"
From day one with this heat hump my husabnd and I have been complaining tro our builder and s&w Heating in Allentown, pa. I have replaced compressor after compressor every year! They replace it once at no cost. What gets me is my air conditioner will run one day the very next it run and runs never shutting off then I get a 600.00 electric bill in the mail! This equipment is horrible and junk! They do not stand behind them, the company or manufacture should make good when same part keeps going. Never buy these units unless your prepared for the headaches and big exspense! Hate them!

Date created: 2009-05-26 Name: D. Corbett

"luxaire"
From our first summer we started to have problems with it,

Date created: 2008-12-19 Name: Bob R
Location: Leonardtown, MD

"Terrible reliability"
I have two Luxaire Heat pumps which are 6 years old. Had to replace two compressors and one a coil. Most of the houses in my development have had the same problem with units 6-7 years old. Many people have replaced the whole systems...

Date created: 2008-09-11 Name: R.Reeves
Location: Covington, LA

"UNHAPPY"
Our unit is only 3 years old, we bought our home in February and have already had 2 service calls because the outside unit is leaking freon. I have called York and they say the labor is my problem and that they would pay for the parts. The labor is going to cost me $900. So therefore I am considering replacing the whole system. Very unhappy!!!!