Consumer Reviews of LENNOX heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about LENNOX heat pumps

Date created: 2009-01-13 Name: Tom Nutt
Location: Plano, TX

"Can't Kill It"
I believe unit was installed when house was built in 1984. Never has required any service work in 14 years of ownership. Filters are changed regulary and condensor coil washed once each year. I am considering replacing indoor and outdoor unit because it is 25 years old. I think I must have the best (reliable) heat pump ever made.

Date created: 2009-01-10 Name: E. Scott

"Elite 11 Heat pump"
My unit just turned 12 years old. I've replaced the reversing valve, compressor cooling fan, and found out about 2 years ago my evaporator had a leak. The technician put leak stop in the system and it worked fine until a solder joint popped on the condenser unit about a year ago. Since fixing that leak, I now have another small leak and am having to add freon about every 3 months. As soon as it warms up, I'm going to be shopping for a new unit. I can say that I did not have the first problem with my unit until it was 8 years old.

Date created: 2009-01-06 Name: Jeff
Location: ofjof

"Armstrong (Lennox brand)"
Three year old unit compressor and expansion valve went bad at separate times. It was covered under warranty, but labor is expensive. Complained to the company who seemed not to care. Won't buy a Lennox/ Armstrong again.

Date created: 2008-12-22 Name: A. McDowell
Location: Phoenix, AZ

"A. McDowell"
The Lennox Elite 11 residential heat pump was purchased new in January, 2003, 10 months before we bought our house. It had been used 2 months by the previous owner (he was a snowbird from Alaska), and we bought the property in October, 2003 but did not move to az until February, 2005. We weren't even totally moved in when the condensor had to be replaced. With that unhappy welcome and in the four years we have been here, we have paid a total of $1,750 in repairs, many freon replacements and who knows what else. This unit was a piece of junk literally and everyone I talked with who was familiar with Lennox had the same opinion: cheap materials, shoddy workmanship, etc. I will tell everyone I know that Lennox is a very poor investment for heating and cooling. They do not stand behind their product. The original dealer and installer gave an extraordinarily high price for a condensor replacement. I gave up on them and used another dealer for repair work who at the time sold Lennox units. Now even they will have nothing to do with Lennox, they could never get a timely response from the manufacturer and were on the phone waiting to speak with someone for hours. It got to be a joke...they'd dial in, be put on hold and just automatically put the phone on speaker so they could go about their work while waiting for a response. So...I Hope Lennox gets a hunk of coal in their Christmas stocking this year. That will provide more reliable heat than their undependable units.

Date created: 2008-12-07 Name: Ray A Rorabaugh
Location: Ebensburg, PA

"R Rorabaugh"
Heat pump installed Oct 08 - as temperature dropped below 45 degrees circuit breaker would trip - technician came out twice and said they would order part - now Dec and temperature is around 14 degrees at night we have to run kerosene heater 24/7 because emergency heat breaker is taped in off position - called installer - they said ordered part but would be 10 days - after 8200.00 dollar investment I don't have a good feeling - would not buy anything Lennox ever again!

Date created: 2008-12-03 Name: Tim Cuneio
Location: Winder, GA

"Installed a hpx 13 heat pump"
I replaced a Goodman 10 seer with this 13 seer Lennox heat pump. It cooled very well the first summer and although it was a hot summer I did see a 10 to 15% savings in power bill. Now that we are having a very cold start to winter than normal I have noticed that the unit runs loader than it did in the summer and the colder it gets the loader it gets, one morning we got down to 15 degrees on November 20 and here in Atlanta that is very cold, I woke up and my thermostat is set at 66 degrees during the night, it was reading a room temp of 62 that is a huge difference, my older unit which was 13 years old never let it fall below 64 because the emergency heat would click on, I called a a/c company this morning and I am going to sign up for the service plan which they will come and check it twice a year for $149.00, I hope all the troubles I have read here do not happen to me. And I have also noticed that the line running from my unit to the air handler is humming very load when it is in heat mode. Right now I am nervous I paid $3,800.00 dollars for a new system and I pray it stays running well

Date created: 2008-11-24 Name: d
Location: Blackfoot, Idaho

"Labor"
Wont stay running starts and shuts down then restarts appropriately four times after being off and does this even after repairs changed diaphram and sensor and module and spark plug by repair man and it still stutters

Date created: 2008-11-21 Name: Steve S
Location: Bellingham, Wa

"1 year 2 months and still waiting"
Well still waiting!! Brand new home and unit never used yet. The day it was installed the installer tech turned it on for a while and said there you go alls good.The building wasn't done at that time so the unit was kept off till last spring when the home was completed. Then when the unit was turned on it was just making a loud vibrating noise through out the house so I turned it off and called in the people that sold and installed the system. ( 1-5 ton top of the line heat pump and air handler.) So a tech was sent out to inspected the system and decided to get a hold of Lennox to figure out the problem. After a few months and back forth a couple of times on the phone the tech returned saying Lennox had finally returned the call with a few idea's of cutting the lines and adding more elbows to the line should fix it right up. ( The way I saw it, it was just putting more resistance on the line. Well that didn't work. So Lennox did send a regional Tech out ( I was impressed)and he concluded it was the compressor, so they swapped that. No help there! So a while later they swapped a few valves out inside the unit and still no luck but, there was change, things got worst because now the unit built to much pressure and became a hazard also the air handler started going off on it's own tangent with wanting to run full steam with out good cause. I must say though lennox approve to completly replace the heat pump with a new one,no argument at all from Lennox or the contractor they also replace the heat strip for more owner control. Last week the tech came back to changed a valve in the heat exchanger with no luck. I noticed just by turning the fuse breaker on to the air handler it burns 1800 watts of power to just turn on the thermostat & circuitry not asking for heat or cooling but just to turn the power source on for the stat. ( Thats 18 100w light bulbs)keep in mind your not asking for heat or cooling!!! So I penciled this out knowing a bit about electricity and this comes to $110.00 just to power the thermostat or what ever is waisting the power inside of the air handler but again no heat no nothing!!! I haven't heard back from the contractor in the last week don't expect I will till after thanksgiving. The new plan is to change out the heat exchanger in the air handler will let you how that goes. Being a general contractor myself I must say though in spite of having no heat from the system in a year and two months the contractor and Lennox have barred no holes and seem to be trying to make this right.. How have I stayed warm through all of this you wonder? Very easy, a wood fire place vented and a pellet stove in the basement, very primal and also very proven... Something to think about as technology seems to evolve faster then where're ready for it.. cost can add even more frustration to the mix.

Date created: 2008-11-21 Name: M. Kissner
Location: Phoenix, AZ

"Too many freon leaks Model #CHP20R0302P"
In the five and a half years I have owned this unit we have had 3 freon leaks. The first two were covered under the warranty but now we're responsible for the third. I am in the process of seeing if the manufacturer will cover this cost as something was obviously wrong with the welding. I will let you know how it goes.

Date created: 2008-11-19 Name: R Jones
Location: Richmond, Va.

"Homeowner"
Look up junk in the dictionary and Lennox heatpumps are first on the list.The automated phone system to contact them is atrocious.I Have a 3 yr. old package unit that parts are no longer available for.Buy Rheem, Trane, Carrier, Goodman,or any other brand for your home, but let Dave Lennox keep his junk and phone flunkies and ripoff repair crews to himself.