Consumer Reviews of LENNOX heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about LENNOX heat pumps

Date created: 2014-10-18 Name: R.Piché
Location: Montreal, Québec, Canada

"Good work horse"
Bought the unit back in 1990. Other than a few minor repairs (about $500), it´s given me very reliable service. Other than having probably a poor HSPF and a low SEER, it did a nice job.

Date created: 2014-07-30 Name: M. Burk
Location: Antelope, CA

"Lennox 15CHPXA-30-230-1A"
I purchased a Lennox roof-mounted 15chpxa-30-230-1a packaged heat pump system in March 2008. My old unit was 30 years old (original equipment) and was working properly. I live in the Sacramento California area and it typically reaches 100 degrees June through September and I simply wanted a more efficient, energy-saving unit. In July 2014 the unit suddenly stopped cooling normally. I called the installer and arranged a service call. After an inspection and pressure test the repairman told me the evaporator coil developed a leak. I was told the failed part was not covered under warranty and that the cost for replacement and repair would be $3300.00. I phoned the Lennox corporate office and was basically told “stuff happens” and there was nothing Lennox was going to do to help rectify the issue. I paid $8000.00 for the unit. I assume a significant portion of this cost is installation and removal of the old unit. It is unacceptable for a single, vitally functional part of this appliance to fail after six years. It is unacceptable for a single, vitally functional part of this appliance does not have a better warranty. It is unacceptable for a single part of this appliance to cost about half the cost of the total unit. It is unacceptable that Lennox does not stand by their product. I stopped running the unit to prevent further damage. The outside temperature was 100 degrees today. At 8:00pm the temperature inside my home is 86 degrees.

Date created: 2014-07-11 Name: B.W. Heat
Location: Atlanta, Ga

"You'd do better asking for herpes"
This thing is terrible. 5 out of 5 years had to get repaired. Now year 6 and the compressor went out. Not worth replacing unless I want to throw money at this thing every year. Lennox was a good name for a long time. Now, they make boat anchors masquerading as heat pumps.

Date created: 2014-04-23 Name: JT
Location: Georgia

"Replaced five compressors"
Lennox heat pump zone unit was installed in 2004. Have had to replace compressor approximately every two years. A total of five compressors replaced in a nine yr. Period. Dealer has been unable to find the problem. Lennox field rep. Refused to send a Lennox tech. Or an engineer out to trouble-shoot the problem. Have also had to replace the zone board and numerous other repairs unrelated to the compressor problem. Nevre want to hear the product name "Lennox" again.

Date created: 2014-03-21 Name: Harry W.
Location: Merrifield, VA

"Buy something else"
Bought this as part of a dual fuel unit, and it has been nothing but problems. 1 year into the units life, the mounting screw on the fan broke and the sole remaining screw broke the mounting grille. Fan, blades, grille had to be replaced. $500. Two years later, same issue. The EXACT same thing happened, a screw rusted through & broke. This time the second screw pulled from its housing and the fan blades went into the heat exchanger. I havent seen a tech check the refrigerant yet. Could be interesting to see what Lennox thinks of replacing the entire unit. I asked the company to check with Lennox, they said maybe it was a bad fan. TWO bad fans? Maybe they need to consult their supplier about bad fans then.

Date created: 2014-02-05 Name: J. Watson
Location: Poquoson,Va

"Flawless performance for over ten years"
Flawless performance for over ten years. Only service was to keep filters changed. Cut electric bills in half, heats at 10 degrees F without cutting in backups. I can only say the unit works. If it dies tomorrow, will be from salt air and corrosion. It stomped the performance of the previous systems. I would recommend this unit without reservation.

Date created: 2013-11-22 Name: MD
Location: Winchester, VA

"Not Very Satisfied With Lennox Heat Pump"
I purchased a Lennox hybrid propane gas furnace and XP16 Elite heat pump in the fall of 2009. Three years later, the compressor fan motor failed. Of course it was during the hottest part of the summer and it took almost 3 weeks to get the right motor in and replaced. Now after 4 years, the compressor and check/expansion valve died. Another 3 weeks to get the parts in and the HVAC mechanic spent nearly 7 hours replacing. Came to find out the replacement compressor is smaller than the original which causes a problem with coupling the crankcase heater. Now, a new crankcase heater (heats the oil in the compressor during extremely cold days) has to be ordered and installed. I'm lucky that the only charge thus far is a $75 trip fee from the HVAC company. I have no confidence in this unit and expect more problems down the road. Very disappointed with the Lennox product. I've owned York and Carrier products that were much more reliable.

Date created: 2013-09-09 Name: Dennis M. Woods
Location: 16 Harris Creek Road, HorseShoe Bend, ID. 83629

"XP17-36 Elite 17 Seer R410A Heat Pump"
My old heat pump over 36 months averaged 2709KW. The new heat pump over the last 26 months averaged 3031KW which is 322KW more per month. The new heat pump was to save me 20-30%. At 25% savings over my old heat pump, I should be using 999KW less than what I am. The company that sold it has checked it several times and say it is okay. The big boy from the factory came, studied my usage and the weather patterns over the last six years and determined it was the weather's fault. I wasn't convinced because I know that figures don't lie but liars do figure. I find it hard to believe the weather has been 30% more severe the last 26 months. Lennox was so proud of the unit they sold me, they don't even list the series or model in the heading of this review. If you decide to buy from Lennox, be careful. It's too late for me but not for you.

Date created: 2013-09-04 Name: Johnson
Location: Philadelphia, PA

"Went Out Early, But Lennox is Standing Behind It"
I bought one of the Dry Charge Lennox LPS13DC units as a replacement for a Trane XE1200 5 ton that was loud, bad, and doubling my electricity bill. The technician installed it immaculately. The unit worked perfectly for about a week and then gave up the ghost on at least the A/C portion of the heat pump (never got to use the heating portion). Needless to say, my antenna is up on this. But Lennox is standing by their product by giving me a new one, the unit was defective. I need to make sure that this doesn't cancel out my 5 year warranty though. When it worked, it was great. Am I worried about Lennox quality after this episode? I sure am, but as long as Lennox stands behind it, I will take the savings over getting a totally new system that would cost upwards of $9000.

Date created: 2013-06-27 Name: J Ruiz
Location: Schwenksville, PA

"Money Pit!"
I replaced my unit in 2005. By 2010, I replaced 2 compressor fans, compressor, TX valve, and more. Over 4K in additional expenses. It is an inferior product and never again will I ever get a Lennox.