Consumer Reviews of JANITROL heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about JANITROL heat pumps

Date created: 2010-04-08 Name: Tony Saprano

"22 years with a Janitrol"
When I built this house, the contractor put in a Janitrol 3 ton unit for a 1500 sq ft. The installer used cheap silver solder to make the line set joints and I was losing freon big time during the first two years. Filed a claim in court and got my 600 bucks worth of repairs back. After getting all the repairs done, the system worked great. I did plenty of inspections on the unit and cleaned it myself. I replaced the compressor contactor, fan capacitor, defrost board and fan. One thing I hate about the wiring connectors. I hate quick disconnect lugs for high amp load points. I cut the lugs off and screwed them under the terminal blocks. One lug on the compressor had to be constantly checked for a hot spot. Bottom line, I think any unit will run forever if you just take a little tlc to the unit. I'm replacing the 22 yr old unit with a new Goodman. The existing unit has been in slow leak mode every 6 months now. Time to bury it ! I definitely got my money out of it.

Date created: 2010-03-05 Name: C. Gatlin

"Janitrol is super terrible"
I purchased a new Janitrol unit six years ago. In the first three years, every major part inside the unit was replaced. Now the blower has went out. I will never recommend a Janitrol unit to anyone. Please spend the extra money now, with a Janitrol you will spend it later. They will cover the parts, but not the labor. Stay away!!

Date created: 2010-02-16 Name: B. Henson

"Never Again"
Replaced baseboard heat with a Janitrol heat pump after purchasing our house. After 1 year, the blower motor in the air handler went out. After that, 7 years trouble free. Last summer had the 3rd compressor installed and less than 6 months later, it's running continuously and blowing cold air. I think I'll bite the bullet and replace the whole system instead of replacing the condenser (outside unit). I hate to reward them for selling me junk by buying more of their junk. If I had known what a pain and expense a heat pump was going to be, I'd have just paid for baseboard heat. At least, it's reliable.

Date created: 2009-10-31 Name: G Doshen

"JANITROL"
What a piece of crap!! We built this house new in 2004 and have had to have a technician come out every year to fix something. As I write this, I have to again call a technician as the upstairs is not working again for the fourth time since summer began. I wouldn't recommend this junk to my worst enemy...

Date created: 2009-06-29 Name: Rick
Location: Florida

Our Janitrol 2 ton unit was installed by the contractor when our 1,600 sq. ft home was built. After 11 years, we had a musty smell coming from the unit, so we had the a coil pulled and cleaned. The starting capacitor failed and the r-22 gas was low after 13 years. These have been the only problems with this unit for over 16 years. Very pleased with what is considered an inexpensive contractor grade unit. Electric bills run $85-120 per month here in Florida.

Date created: 2009-06-24 Name: Milton

"Ower"
I have had a Janitrol for 2 years and a Goodman for 1-year. I am a building Contractor and have other units installed for 4-years. Thank the Lord I have a good installer. Have had no trouble what so ever with any of the Goodman or Janitrol heat pumps. All I can say is good and no bad. If the Job is done right and they are sized right for the job then that is everything.

Date created: 2009-06-12 Name: J. Reece

"One good unit and one bad unit"
Upstairs heat pump has performed satisfactorily. However, the downstairs heat pump experience 4 years of freon leakage with frequent make-ups. Then the contractor tried a leak-sealing compound in the freon recommended by the manufacturer; approximately 2 months later the compressor locked-up. $625 required for labor to replace the compressor and indoor coil unit.

Date created: 2009-05-09 Name: Fred

"Janitrol has had no problems for 20 years"
Didn't know that Goodman was Janitrol these days. My Janitrol replaced a Bryant 20 years ago and until I set it to cooling yesterday it never had a service problem. It is now tripping the breaker immediately so it is probably a short in the compressor. If the tech coming Monday says it is the compressor, I will buy a new high seer rated Goodman. I don't know why people buy twice as expensive units that are no more reliable.

Date created: 2009-02-22 Name: D. Hymsith
Location: Jacksonville, FL

"20 YEARS OF SERVICE"
I have owned my janitrol 3 1/2 ton unit since 1989 and it is still running, the only prblem I have had with it is the outside compressor fan went out in 2003 and the heat strip needs replacing other than that it has been great it is a package unit all outside and the total service bill for 20 years is 315 dollars and 25 cents that is one hell of a great a/c unit in my book and I am going to see how many more years I can get out of the old gal and when she dies I will get another.

Date created: 2009-02-18 Name: Mrs. Ramsey
Location: Virginia

"REVIEW"
I will never purchase another Janitrol product. We have had nothing but trouble since the day it was installed! It makes such loud noises that we are awakened in the middle of the night. no janitrol representative will service our house... We are ready to file a law suit it is So bad!!!