Consumer Reviews of JANITROL heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about JANITROL heat pumps

Date created: 2014-05-27 Name: A. Mashayekh
Location: Norfolk VA

"JANITROL Equals PROBLEM"
I have had nothing but trouble from the very first day. I had to call and pay for service and refrigerant/gas at least a couple of times a year. The heating element died in year 4, the coil leaked from the very beginning, and some switch has stopped working now. I really did not get more than 3 months of service from this lemon. The unit now is only 6 years old, and I had 6 years of trouble. Stay away form Janitrol.

Date created: 2012-07-10 Name: K Maley
Location: Ruckersville VA

"dissatisfied"
Very poor quality. Have two units and after six years replaced the coil in the air handler on both systems. Have had the systems maintained twice a year since purchasing the house new. Do not buy Janitrol.

Date created: 2011-07-04 Name: M. Vaughn
Location: San Marcos TX

"Janitrol heat pump a wise choice"
2550 sq ft home built in 1957 added on in 1988.Bought a 5 ton Janitrol unit at the recommendation of A/C man. Just now having a problem. Faithful about annual routine check ups - may be the difference regarding the life span. Very satisfied with the product.

Date created: 2011-04-05 Name: D Giles
Location: Prospect, Va

"Poor quality unit"
Very poor quality unit! Many misc. problems over the years and just fixed the second leak in the defective outdoor coil in one month! Tubes that were hidden by the fins were defective and keep having leaks. Hope to never purchase a house with Janitrol/Goodman again! Maint. cost is expensive and stressful!

Date created: 2011-01-13 Name: B. G. Hyde
Location: Chattanooga, TN

"Just replaced inside fan motor"
I put this 4 ton 10.7 Seer unit in myself (HVAC certified) 7 years ago and was happy with its performance -- lower electric bills than the old unit -- but I put in double pane windows, insulated garage door, and some missing wall insulation too. I may have over-sized it, as it cools quickly but leaves humidity too high in summer; warms nicely in winter -- Tennessee. Fan motor went out last week, bearing broke with internal clattering. Found that it used sleeve (cheap) bearings, not ball or rollers, with no oil holes; dealer said 7 years was about right! New motor $114 from Janitrol distributor. Almost never need the auxilary heat coils. Somewhat noisy outside unit, but acceptable.

Date created: 2010-10-11 Name: PAUL JANSKY
Location: BURLESON TEXAS

"air cond /heating /heat pump"
BUILT NEW HOUSE IN 1993-BOUGHT JANITROL 3-1/2 TON UNIT FOR 1862-SQ FOOT HOUSE-HEAT PUMP- WAS TOLD WOULD SAVE US MONEY -THAT WAS A JOKE-ALWAYS SOMETHING WRONG WITH IT-IT EITHER FELT COOL AND DRAFTY IN HOUSE OR WAS COLD IN WINTER-IF TURNED HOTTER ALL THE HEAT STRIPS WOULD COME ON ALONG WITH THE COMP OUT SIDE AND OUTSIDE BLOWER-/THATS IN 40 DEGREE TEMP OUTSIDE-/ONE DAY IT SEEMS COLD IN HOUSE NO MATTER WHERE YOU SET IT - IT WAS 25 DEGREES OUTSIDE -THE OUTSIDE UNIT WAS FROZEN BLOCK OF ICE -MOST PEOPLE HAD 98 ELECTRIC BILLS MINE WERE 250 PLUS-HAD FIXED ALL THE TIME NEVER WORKED LIKE IT SHOULD -SO NEXT TIME YOU HEAR JANITROL HEAT PUMP DONT WALK / RUN AWAY FROM IT /ALSO THERE COMP RELAYS MUST COME FROM CHINA /ALMOST WENT BROKE REPLACING THEM EVERY SUMMER

Date created: 2010-09-13 Name: Michael
Location: Asheville, NC

"No problems in 8 years"
My home was built during 2000 to 2001. ~1600 sq-feet with two separate 2 ton upstairs & downstairs Janitrol/Goodman split-system heat pumps. I am told Goodman is "builder grade" cheap stuff, but mine have performed with no problems. Only hiccup was an algae clogged condensation line, but that's not the manufacturer's fault. I've cleaned and maintained them myself. $98 electric bill this July with AC at 73 degrees. They produce usable winter heating down to 15 degrees outdoor temps. Outside coil units are on the noisy side but not terrible; I'm looking into Sorbothane pads for them.

Date created: 2010-08-22 Name: Bob Hatcher
Location: Spotsylvania, VA

"Keep the repairman away"
2 1/2 ton unit. A real amateur installation. No place for a filter. they just stuck a large cheap green scrubbing pad (The kind used on large commercial buffers). I finally figured out a way to put in a filter. Very noisy. Circuit board burned out twice. They bypassed it so now I have this rats nest of wires. They put a thermostat outside so 35 degrees and higher the heat pump works...lower and it switches to 90 plus propane gas and that is working. I probably need to have the evaporator coils cleaned, but after working with 3 separate companies I do not know who to trust. The unit does the job, but I am sure it is not running as efficiently as it should be. 12 SEER rated and owned it now for 13 years.

Date created: 2010-06-27 Name: Tim

"not so good"
Moved into a house in 92. Had a piece of home-made garbage for an ac unit. Replaced with Janitrol. A-coil leaked for about 3 years before the problem was found. I've lost count on the number of times the relay switch has been replaced. Blower motor replaced and entire outside unit replaced with Goodwin. (Goodwin now the new name for Janitrol 'cause of poor rep???) Now have a leaking service port with a schroeder valve that fell apart when the tech tried to replace it. And the unit(2.5 Ton)runs constantly in an 1100 sqft home.

Date created: 2010-05-29 Name: B. Allbritton
Location: Florida

"2 Janotrol units in my house"
We built our 2900 sq. ft house 12 years ago. We live in Florida, it's hot. Large Janitrol unit for downstairs, smaller unit upstairs. Only problem we ever had was the units freezing up due to an efficiency valve that keeps fan running after unit compressor cuts off. Contractor removed the valves, no more problems. The only criticism would be that the units are noisy. My neighbor has a gmc unit going on 14 years. GMC (Goodman) makes Janitrol. When my units go out, will definitely get another Goodman. I have many friends that have already replaced their Carriers, Tranes, and American Standards before me. I've heard this many times, may not be the manufacturer, but the installer that makes the difference. One or two companies probably make all the parts anyway.