Consumer Reviews of Heil heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about Heil heat pumps

Date created: 2009-10-25 Name: A. Townsend
Location: Bensalem, PA

"AL T."
We switched from oil forced hot air to a Heil heat pump and cut our heating bill in half.

Date created: 2009-06-27 Name: Steve

"HEIL 14 SEER HEAT PUMP"
My electric bill dropped 30% and I am very happy with this unit. I had a Heil 13 seer heat pump with a variable speed air handler that increased to 14 seer installed from a professional. Unit operates quietly and efficiently. Installation is the key. I would recommend them anytime to anyone.

Date created: 2009-04-29 Name: HEIL

"18 years"
Aside from a very immoral installer who ripped me off for my factory extended warraty money, the unit performed well enough. Over the years it needed the compressor replaced (under warranty) and the outdoor and air handler blower motors wore out . . . but this is 18 years. Finally, a weld on the outdoor condenser coil went and I have replaced it all with a Payne/Carrier combination (also made by Carrier these days). The reality is that ALL of these devices use Scroll compressors and motors from the same suppliers - I do note that new units are 'permanently lubed' which means that motors will likely not last as long. The manufacturers bend metal and weld up coil sets and put the devices on a pallet and ship them out. After reading all the tales, many (if not most) of the problems reported by ALL of the reviewers are lilely installer/installation issues and/or due to unreasionable expectations.

Date created: 2009-03-01 Name: M. Graveman
Location: Kansas City, KS

"Heil Heat Pump"
I have had this unit for three years now and am very happy with it. I felt I had to post on here. Knowing a fair amount about the operation fo this system, I'd have to guess that about 90% of the people unhappy with the equipment or heat bills are having problems because of poor installation. There is a lot of adjustments and settings on this and if it's not set up correctly, it will cause lots of problems like what is being described. My savings using this and nat gas backup heat resulted in a $500/year savings on heating bills over the same furnace heating the whole house. I left the nat gas furnace in place - a lot cheaper to run than resistance backup heat.

Date created: 2009-02-19 Name: M. Bryan

"I LOVE my Heil Heat Pump"
I've had my heat pump for so long I almost forgot I have it. I've had 1 minor problem 2 years ago. The Capacitor to the outdoor motor went out and had to be replaced- probably due to a lightening strike somewhere in the area. Only cost me a little over 100 dollars to have repaied. Glad I did'nt pick one of the so called "big guys" trane, carrier or I know I would be out a lot of Needless Overprice. I also found out that Carrier is the parent company of Heil. wow... I thought Heil was Better than Carrier. Owning a Heil myself,I love it!

Date created: 2009-02-08 Name: Mike Brothers
Location: Mt. Juliet, Tennessee

"home owner"
I just wanted to let as many people know, that anything that Heil, or International comfort products makes isn't worth buying! After owning this Heil unit only 3yrs. I have had the 20kw heat replaced,a circuit board, a freon leak at the shrader valve,the txv valve,and at the present time the compressor and a heat sequencer needs to be replaced! After attempts by the dealer, myself and the Better Business Bureau the company failed to resolve the issue! It is my opinion that this unit was a lemon! It should have been replaced or at least a new one sold at cost. I have installed a trane unit this time.

Date created: 2009-02-07 Name: R Brown
Location: North Bend, WA

"home owner"
Had unit Heil heat pump installed 4 months ago and my Dec. power bill went from $100 last year to $415 this year. We had a cold Dec. but I was using my fire place also. The unit sometimes makes a high pitched, loud groaning noise. It appears to be a vibration towards the top rear of the exchanger. The installer has been great as far as trying to help with the problems and explaining how they operate to me. I have no issues with him but do believe the heat pump should be much more cost friendly when it comes to heating my home. The reason to buy one of these units is to save money and energy. It looks as though I invested $8000 to install a heat pump and have it quadruple my electric bill. Is this because it is a Heil or because heat pumps are over rated? Are there other brands that work better when the temperature gets below 35 degrees?

Date created: 2009-02-03 Name: Fred
Location: Hardeeville, S. Carolina

"Heil"
My unit runs all of the time and my home is cold in the winter. The shyster who installed it did not fix it even after I got all of the recall info. Check the license and credentials of even people who advertise. I am about to take this unit to the dump personally.

Date created: 2009-02-02 Name: Mr Clark
Location: Smith Mountain Lake, VA

"Mr Clark"
I am a Lennox and Trane dealer. Have worked on very many systems and so far I have seen that Heil might be the best put together systems. Most of the complaints on this review are form people who paid poor installers to put the equipment in. It takes one tiny careless mistake to ruin a good system. If 3 compressors fail its the service guys not the manufacturer.

Date created: 2009-01-22 Name: Ray Watkins
Location: Philadelphia, TN

"Tempstar unit by Heil"
I have had the unit under 3 years when I got a electric bill for $530.00 dollars when it was averging $250.00 each month. It was running on Emergency Ht. becauce the coils were leaking freon. Labor/freon cost of 135.00 2 months later more Labor/freon cost of 135.00 Had to replace coils both 710.00 labor/Freon then a new defrost switch and electrical board. 168.00. Now I have to reset the breakers on the compressor 2-3 time a week just to keep it running and it blows cold air and defrosts about every 2-3 hours.