Consumer Reviews of GOODMAN heat pumps

Read more about GOODMAN heat pumps

<< Previous345678910111213141516171819202122Next >>

Date created: 2011-01-20 Name: Confused by reviews
Location: Midlands of SC

"Confused by reviews"
I bought a Goodman heat pump 9 years 1 month ago. It's worked OK, but it was noisy. Today, the unit was diagnosed with a bad compressor. Have to get it replaced. Luckily, I bought extended warranty (replaces compressor and pays for $400 in labor). Considering getting new complete unit since air exchanger is close to 20 yrs old, and was looking at Goodman reviews. This scares me! My installer says that Goodman (some connection to Amana - I called the company) is a good company and has a bad rep. Now I know why.

Date created: 2011-01-19 Name: sharon holt
Location: goodlettsville tn

"New system is horrible!"
we purchased a new 5 ton efficiency rated government rebate quilifying hvac in april of 2010. Nothing but problems, leaks freon, our electric bill went up over 25% first month during the ac weather, electric bill went up 50% winter months. Needs to be named BADMAN instead of Goodman.

Date created: 2011-01-19 Name: T.J. Groh
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

"50/50 split"
I built a large house in spring of 2009 and wanted to have zone heating and cooling so the contractor stated the best approach was to have two independent HVAC systems. Since the additional cost was an issue, the builder recommended Goodman. The the overall cost per unit installed was about 3300, almost half of a similar Trane unit install would have cost. So I agtreed and the builder installed two 3-ton Goodman 16 SER heat pump units with LP gas furnace. both units works fine through 2009 and through the fall of 2010. When it came time to use the heat one of the heat pumps did not function but I was able to use the gas furnace. I called the AC guy who orginally installed the units for the builder. Right up front he told me there is a good chance that the valves are bad and/or the freon is gone due to a leak. He had similar problems with other older installs. Well last week all was repaired and the cost which was all labor was about 500 dollars (included inspection of the other unit), parts replaced were under warranty. Before he left, he jokingly stated I'll see you in the fall for the other unit repairs.. Lets pray not!!

Date created: 2011-01-18 Name: T. Barnette
Location: Moncks Corner, SC

"Don't waste your money!"
We have a two-ton and four-ton Goodman unit that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. We built 5 years ago and have had numerous repairs performed. While some factory defects covered the cost of parts, labor was not a part of the deal. We constantly have to charge the units with freeon. Our electric bills are sky high and I hate to think that of the thousands of dollars we payed to purchase and install the units. They have been a nightmare since we've had them. Simply junk!

Date created: 2011-01-15 Name: Bill M.
Location: Hoodville

"Is your unit failing...Read this"
Ok, so Ive been reading and reading till im blue in the face about all these compressor failures. I would bet money that INSTALLER did not install a hard start kit as per required by compressor manufacture and its in the user install guide for the unit. But you the home owner would never know this. The hard start kit is necessary for any system that has a TXV valve installed. Furthermore with out the hard start kit added (by the way it does not come with the unit ask goodman why I have no clue) the compressor will fail prematurely. Then you replace it and bam the next one goes out. Id guess that your probably be luck to get 2 years out of the compressor. The reversing vale I can not comment on as I have not ran into one yet that has a bad one. In addition, the unit only is pre-chraged for 15 FT of line set. And its not recommend to reuse existing line set on R410A system, NEW line set should be ran, and any good company should replace the disconnect box, and power whip (that feeds the unit power) Also, there is a metering piston that comes with each unit that unique for the cased coil. If this is not used again you will have equipment failure. In 10 years Ive only seen 1 heat pump unit fail. Only because the home owner chose to install it on an old coil, and did a botched job. Drier blocked, replaced drier unit runs fine. I think in allot of the cases it more the installer. Granted they did have a problem with the evaporators but I really feel the majority of these system failures are to be blamed on the installer. Not the equipment company. I guess you just have to weight what you've know vs. what you read. As in all these cases one will never know how or if the equipment was installed correctly. Any job blow can hook one of these up. Hooking it up and setting it up properly is the key. I would be very curious in all the failure cases that if no hard start kit was installed on the initial install, then personally you should legal and or some recourse on the company that installed it. I dont care who makes the brand scorll / txv system need a hard start kit on it or the compressor will fail. It caused the motor winding to wear out due to a pressure equalization problem, and without the hard start kit, the compressor basically burns it self out because it can not get the require start voltage which in turn is torque to properly start the compressor. Im not defending goodman, Im just stating facts that are lacking on here from the end user, in which they would have no clue about.

Date created: 2011-01-15 Name: Theresa Stocks
Location: Wade, NC

"Unsatisfied customer"
We built our home three years ago. The contractor uses a company that installed a Goodman. We have had them come out 3 times for the air conditioning, wasn't cooling the fan just ran continuiosly, and we had freion leak with the copper tubing.This has been every summer. Now this winter the heat unit would not get the temp in the house but up to 66, the fan is continuosly ruuning. We had the company come out and the service man said the unit is just working hard because it has been in the 20's for several days. Now when I put the temp to 68 it doesn't cyle to shut off just runs continuosly but the temp gets to 68 in the house. This was the 4 service call in 3 years. I wish I would of read the reviews before we built the home. I believe I would of spent the money on a Train.

Date created: 2011-01-14 Name: j menard
Location: milton fl

"can't afford the electric bill with the pump"
Pump runs all the time and it still stays very cold in the house. Installer came to check it out and said it as fine. Huge electric bill with a cold house. When it first starts up cold air comes out then almost nothing. Looking for a new place cause thank god I'm a renter and not going to pay for heat I don't get. I have a disabled son who has had to stay in bed for three days now cause it's so cold in here.

Date created: 2011-01-13 Name: robert barnes
Location: missouir

"goodman unit is great"
i recently put in a goodman 3 ton 16seer heat pump and new a/coil. i purchased it off ebay and i did all the grunt work. when i had evrything in place i called an installer. he did all the soldering and startup everything went perfectly. in cold wx of dec. our el. bill went up 60.00 we were using propane before. this unit runs so quit we dont know when its on except when it goes to defrost and i guess they are all noisy then. i would gladly purchase again very good unit.

Date created: 2011-01-11 Name: D .Hucks
Location: South carolina

"HORRIBlE"
goodmans are nothing but problems no matter how good of a deal you think you are getting they do not last and you WILL have to replace it. I think the company needs to stop making them. You should take your money and flush it down the toliet if you are willing to buy a goodman

Date created: 2011-01-11 Name: ebbennett
Location: Rock Hill, SC

"home owner"
I just wrote a review on my goodman heat pump on 1/6/11. In addition to what I wrote a few days ago I would like to add that the outside unit is completely dead today 1/11/11. In the last six months it has cost me $1,533.00 in repair cost and the unit is still under warranty. There will likely be additional costs when they come out to fix this AGAIN tomorrow. I can't imagine it getting much worse.

<< Previous345678910111213141516171819202122Next >>