Comparing over 45,000 air conditioners, boilers, furnaces and heat pumps

Consumer Reviews of GIBSON heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about GIBSON heat pumps

Date created: 2014-04-16 Name: Michael
Location: Va

"Master HVAC in Virginia"
I am a HVAC contractor in VA. I have installed almost every make and model there is. I'm a Trane dealer but will install whatever the homeowner wants or what we think they need. To clarify all these negative reviews, I have installed more than 500 Gibson and Westinghouse systems and have only had two compressors fail. When installed correctly these systems are the best low end systems. Nordyne did have a run of A-coils that were manafactured in Mexico by a third party and then sold to Nordyne just like every other unit , these coils leaked after 5 or 6 years. When you have your unit serviced once or twice a year, finding these coils were easy and replacement is easy. All equipment no matter brand will have parts go bad. Just the other day I replaced a defrost board on a Trane heat pump and the printed circuit board was the 8th revision. No matter what brand, it must be installed and maintained correctly

Date created: 2013-05-26 Name: Ron Stinnett
Location: Loudon,TN.

"Don't Buy"
Biggest piece of junk ever made, even worse than Intertherm. Condenser, compressor, and blower fan all went out in three years. Never did heat or cool properly. I'm replacing with a Goodman.

Date created: 2012-12-16 Name: lotechguy
Location: Mid South

"Works great"
I had a 3 ton unit made by Nordyne, with the Gibson tag, AC/heat pump package unit installed in early September. It has been working great. It produced 49 degree air at a register nearest the unit in air conditioning mode this summer and 100 degree air with the heat pump. The emergency heat coils produce 36000 BTU's of heat if needed. This Gibson replaces a 17 year old York and is far more efficient and far more capable than the York. It is reasonably quiet, works perfectly and I expect many years of service from it. It is my understanding that Gibson, Maytag and several other brands made by Nordyne are identical but the one I had installed used the Gibson name.

Date created: 2012-04-17 Name: H. Mathes
Location: Richmond, Va

"Already replacing Parts"
Two years ago we bought a Gibson heat pump for $4500. It came with a 10 year warranty on parts and 1 year warranty on labor. We came home yesterday and it was 85 degrees in the house. We had a tech come out from a whole new company (because I don't trust the guys that installed it if the thing is already broken) and he told us that the motor in the outdoor unit is already fried. It tripped our fuse box and caused a spark when he tried to flip the fuse switch back over. Now we have to replace the motor to the tune of $350 labor. Thank God we registered the parts warranty, but a couple more breakdowns like this and we'll end up spending the amount we originally paid for the whole damn unit. The tech told us that Gibson is a low end manufacturer and many Heating/Cooling companies don't even use Gibson because of that fact. I'm pissed that we even got swindled into buying this stupid heat pump in the first place, always do your research. And trust the reviews if the majority of people are dissatisfied.

Date created: 2012-03-21 Name: M. Damron
Location: Knoxville, TN

"THIRD ISSUE IN 4 YEARS"
Have had this Gibson Heat Pump for 5 years, 2 months and I have had the compaciter replaced twice and now the compressor has to be replaced, none of these repairs were under warranty. Bad design or just a lemon don't know. They say 10 year warranty but only if you send in that stupid little card that will register the unit. Will replace with another brand, would not recommend purchasing a Gibson.....

Date created: 2011-10-18 Name: Ray R.
Location: gaithersburg, MD.

"STILL RUNNING!!!!"
I own a Gibson GQ6SD-X30K heat pump and air handler units. I haven't got any issues with these systems, they work great year around. The only thing I replace every month is the air filter, we service the systems twice a year for a minimum cost and clean around the units from time to time. Its been almost 8 years, and they look and work great, I recommended Gibson for a long years of work and comfort in your home. Ah also look for a good technician who loves to do its job, so you will have a good installation.

Date created: 2011-10-14 Name: Jim DeHoff
Location: Lawrence,Kansas

"heat pump"
I have never had a unit that is such a piece of total junk. It does nor run for more than a month at a time, does not cool or heat. Has had more leaks in the unit than I can count. What ever you do, do not buy a Gibson heat pump DT4BF-036K.

Date created: 2011-06-20 Name: B. Frye

"2.5 ton split system heat pump"
own a gibson2.5 split system for les thena year and two major part have gone out have waited 4 weeks for a new air compresser and dont no for how long we will wait for this part. But to be less then a year old and have these two major parts go out, on a brand new unit is faulty workmanship. I would never purchase a gibson anything again. Or anything with Nordyne they have thee worst customer service I have ever had to deal with.

Date created: 2011-06-10 Name: A. Pettit
Location: Virginia

"JUNK! Do not buy Gibson!"
Wow, I thought it was only me that was furious with Gibson but I guess not. My unit was less than 2 years old when the problems began. Freezing cold in the winter (with a $700 electric bill) and hot as fire in the summer. Perhaps it was the original technicians but I have had 3 separate heating and air companies work on this unit and they can't all be wrong. First problem was outside leaking valves. Luckily, the part was under warranty but the labor was still $500. Then, I come home one spring day and my upstairs is about 85 degrees (set on 72). Techs come over and tells me I have freon leaking and needs to be replaced. Winter comes, freezing cold, so they check and another valve is broken. And now, spring of this year, broken again because of leaks in the coil. Not even 6 weeks later, they have to come back and find leaks in the coil and I need to replace the coil or air handler ($2,000). Now they are here working and just checked the outside unit and said the compressor valves are leaking and it could be another $600......Gibson will be hearing from me. We spent $8000-$10,000 on the original units and now another $2500 to fix the mess. Not happy with Gibson!!

Date created: 2011-06-06 Name: Brian
Location: Virginia

"Wouldnt trade my Gibson!"
Hello all... I would like to throw my 2 cents out there. My friend is a licensed and registered installer. He told me that alot of times folks have issues with systems cause they are not installed properly. I have the funds to put in any system I wanted...I chose the Gibson 13 seer heat pump. I have had in house now for 2 years going on 3. I have not had any issues what so ever! In fact it is quieter, heats and coold quicker and even cheaper on my monthly electric bill. So instead of getting upset with unit...do a check on your installer! He has told me horror storys on units that was installed incorrectly on various brands..(leaking, non-matching air handler..etc). That is KEY in a properly functioned system. In fact...I am now getting ready to replace the upstairs unit and I will be going with the 15 seer Gibson. So....please make sure the unit is properly installed and do a REVIEW on installer and I think your reviews/results would be different.