Consumer Reviews of DUCANE heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about DUCANE heat pumps

Date created: 2008-06-06 Name: John Briscoe
Location: Kansas

"a/c contractor"
Ducane uses Copeland compressors, the best. Other then that its no different than any other brand. The coils are made in the same factory as nearly all other brands made in this country. If you having a problem with your equipment its usually the installation to blame, not the brand. Ask for an expansion valve and hard start kit with your new equipment. It will protect the compressor and run more efficiently. Also ask the installer to use a micron gauge when applying a vacuum. Heat sink the valve assemblies when soldering the lines..

Date created: 2008-06-03 Name: Earl J. hartlage Jr.
Location: Louisville, Kentucky

"Earl J. Hartlage Jr. Home owner"
I bought two Decane heat pumps for my new home one for upstairs and one for down stairs. On my down stairs unit a factor part broke on the outside unit, and I can't seem to get anybody to fix it. I bought the unit form 2-j Supply Company in Louisville Kentucky. But it's a 12 sheer unit and they do not want to fix it. I tried e-mailing Decane for a factory rep. but no one returns my e-mails and they don't have a 1-800 phone number on Ducanes web page. What can I do?

Date created: 2008-04-19 Name: Jerry
Location: Boca Raton, FL

I am an A/C contractor in Florida and I've been installing Ducanes for over 5 years. I must have installed over 100 and only had trouble with 2. The are extremely quiet with good safety features to protect the units' major parts. However as a rule you should never install a 13 seer Ducane heatpump without replacing the air handler which should be matched properly. I highly recommend the rcme series for residential 1 1/2- 5ton. In states that experience under 50 degree temps on a regular should have no less than 20kw heat strips to assist the hp, and please find technicians that know what the hell they're doing. Out of all these complaints I'll bet 80% of them are the techs' fault. Trust me... In my experience (18 years) Ducane and Rheem must be installed by the book, no shortcuts! Did you know that Ducane is made by Lennox?

Date created: 2008-04-15 Name: H Giles
Location: Hurt, VA

Purchased in October 2005 a 12 seer Ducane Heat Pump. Have spent so far about $800.00 on Freon leaks. Now is no Freon in unit. Will be another $750.00 to fix leak and put in Freon. So will be over $1500.00 in less than 3 years. We are going to replace with another model. I sure wish I had read these reviews before purchasing a Ducane but we thought the installer, who is now out of business was reliable. My mistake. I tried writing Ducane--even the ceo office. I got replies but no help from them. They are not at all consumer service oriented. Please do not purchase a ducane heat pump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date created: 2008-04-14 Name: patti stewart
Location: Ragland, Alabama

The unit has been nothing but trouble from the first day! Everything has been replaced on the unit two times! The unit is froze up at the time I'm writing this! I can't get anyone to come and even look at the unit! My installer won't return my calls and the company tells me they can't talk to me! Why? I have a ten year warranty on this unit! And I want the unit repaired or replaced! I would also like a phone number to talk to someone at this company! I have been very disappointed with this product! I would not recommend this product to anyone!!!!

Date created: 2008-04-07 Name: Keith Brown
Location: Germanton, NC

I have had this unit for 3 years as of 04/07/08 the unit is still not working right. Do not buy one of these units you will have problems. I have had other heat pumps in the past that have lasted 20 years or more without any problems. Ducane's fan motors burn out and their lines bust. I have spent several dollars on repair work and it is hard to even get someone out to do the work.

Date created: 2008-04-04 Name: CRAZY CARL
Location: Milwaukee, WI

I don't own a Ducane but I am a wholesale supply house. I read these reveiws -- I have never heard any of this. It sounds like a lot of you need to call another tech -- you are over-paying. Ducane also has a no hassle warranty and also offer a 100 labor credits that I bet your techs are keeping. These units will not fuction well below 32 degrees -- it will cause parts to fail a lot faster. Also if you maintain the fans by cleaning and lubing that will protect your investment.

Date created: 2008-03-14 Name: Vickie Odum
Location: Blanch, NC

Nothing but trouble! The compressor has been replaced 3 times. The fan motor has been replaced. Now the compressor is out again. Lines went out and lost all freon on more than 1 occasion. Now company will not honor warranty. Over $1000 spent in labor. Company will not honor warranty if a different HVAC tech works on it. Avoid this company if you want to save yourself some trouble and lots of money!!

Date created: 2008-02-28 Name: M Slaughter
Location: Chillicothe, Ohio

had 5 ton unit for 6 years, first year great, second year things began to happen. The lines inside unit broke freon was lost , unit could not be repaired. A new unit was supplied and worked great for one year and lines inside broke again. The inside coil was provided this time, but for the last 2 plus years nothing has work as it should, the defrost of the unit works then it stops working, had repair people out but to no avail.

Date created: 2008-02-05 Name: P. Reid
Location: Birmingham, Al

I am a maint supv for a complex with over 160 ducane heat pumps. The complex is less than a year old, (6 months operating). So far I have had every concievable hvac issue with these heat pumps. I would not recommend buying one of these units for the average consumer, unless they want the pain of having to call the tech on a routine basis.