Comparing over 45,000 air conditioners, boilers, furnaces and heat pumps

Consumer Reviews of DUCANE heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about DUCANE heat pumps

Date created: 2008-11-06 Name: k Butler
Location: Falkville, AL

"ken of falkville al"
I am very unsatisfied with this unit, the air works ok but when the temp goes down so does the unit. It gets stuck when it defrost will not go back to air or heat had service out 6 times and still not working. When I call for service and tell them itís a Ducane they donít want to come out or donít show up Next time I call it will be for a new unit.

Date created: 2008-10-29 Name: Charles

"Ducane reliability"
I m a Contractor and have installed a high number of Ducane units. These unit are very reliable, but ultimately the system will only be as good as the installation. As I read the bad reviews on this site, I get the sense that the issues experienced are installation related.

Date created: 2008-10-28 Name: K. Cooper

"Aux. heat"
Heatpump works great in A/C mode and ok in heat, but have to replace aux. heat strip relays every fall. There relay coils are 24vdc for some reason, and they burn out each year.

Date created: 2008-10-13 Name: G. SHARP
Location: Maryville, TN

"MY DUCANE HEAT PUMP"
I work in heat and air if you clean and maintain your unit it will last longer and have less problems just like your car if it is not taken care of it stops running I agree some companies charge to much to check your unit out but a lot of the maintaince you can do yourself if you need help e-mail me at sheaterman05@aol.com i'll help you if I can, free.

Date created: 2008-10-02 Name: C. Reardon
Location: Glouster, OH

"DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!"
I paid $1050.00 for this heat pump a year ago. I worked fine during the summer, and broke down after about 1 month of winter. I had to use my furnace on emergency heat, which resulted in electric bills over $400 a month. I had a repairman here 4 times, and was told that the freon leaked out and needed to be charged. Even after that, the motor had to be replaced. It still, to this day, does not work. I'm not wasting any more money on this piece of junk. I've learned my lesson and will buy another brand elsewhere.

Date created: 2008-08-11 Name: Craig
Location: South Carolina

"Craig in S Carolina"
Purchased a hp12b36 3 ton heat pump in Sept 99 installed with a adp blower coil properly sized. In Nov 2000, needed an exterior shutoff valve from Ducane, they provided it free, and had the service tech screw it on. No further problems through August 2008. Hope it continues.

Date created: 2008-07-05 Name: Bill
Location: Duncan B.C. Canada

"business owner"
Installed a Ducane 13 seer heat pump for a customer in a new home and in 3 months they were having high electrical bills and the outdoor unit quit. Technician found a leek on an elbow at the condensor. Went to the supplier to get warranty for replacement of r22, but they said Ducane refused it as they only warranty leaks for one month and this was not the first leak claim they had tried to put through. No response from Duane to my emails either. No more Ducanes for us and no more dealings with the wholesaler either as they see nothing wrong with Ducanes policy. We should have read the reviews here before buying a Ducane. Read and hear!!!

Date created: 2008-07-02 Name: J. Morgan
Location: jenaimorgan@sbcglobal.net

"Happy with my Ducane"
I see lots of bad reviews here but my experience has been good. I've had the heat pump for over two years with very hot summers and winter temps often below 32 degrees with no problems. I did notice that when I run the "emergency heat" my bill goes up significantly. I work from home so I am in all day with the temperature set near 74 in a 1450 sq. ft home and my bills are not bad - may have hit $200 3-4 times since I moved in. I am satisfied. I think I would listen to the tech that has installed over 100 of these, it may not be the unit but the installer.....

Date created: 2008-06-16 Name: Billy Cox
Location: Richmond, VA

"ducane troubles"
Unbelievable!! A large company can have such inferior products and still stay in business. My Ducane heat pump has been nothing short of great problems.

Date created: 2008-06-13 Name: John Crow
Location: Knoxville, TN

"Stop the MADDNESS"
In my own personal opinion please do not buy a Ducane Heat Pump and Air Conditioner unit. If you read these reviews and are still compelled to buy one just take an extra thousand dollars and burn it. It's a lot faster than the amount of time you will spend trying to get it fixed over the next two years. The only untruth I have read in the reviews are that they are dependable. I Am on repair number 8 in two years. Yes the warranty is great they give any part you may need. Its the hassle and labor they don't cover on weekends and holidays. When it freezing out and your six month old baby is cold or in the summer time the control panel goes out and turns the heat on. Someone needs to call for a class action law suit and get our money back!