Consumer Reviews of DUCANE heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about DUCANE heat pumps

Date created: 2009-04-13 Name: DUCANE

"Ducane Heat Pumps"
This a very good unit. Works very well within the limits of the seer rating. The problems people are having with heat pumps comes down to the installer. I found that most installers of air conditioning don't know beans about a heat pump. The outside unit has to match the inside coil and the duct system absolutely has to be the correct size to handle the air flow required by heat a pump system. 80% of the air conditioning duct systems installed in homes today will not accomidate a heat pump of the same tonage the air conditioner is. Heat pumps require more air flow (CFM) than air conditioning systems to work properly. A good technition or installer can tell right away if a heat pump will work correctly against your existing duct system. Most installers I've incountered doesn't care if the system is right or not. All they want is for the unit to last for year and then it's your baby. I suggest people that are having a problem with thier heat pump shortly after they were installed better find a quilified tech.

Date created: 2009-03-29 Name: DUCANE

"Ducane, DON'T buy one."
It seemed to do ok for the first yeat or two but then had to start changing parts. It seemed that when the warrenty went out on a part it would go bad withen two or three months. My warrenty went out on the compressor three months ago and guess what, yep, it has gone bad. Going to cost around $1300.00 to fix it. I will never own another ducane

Date created: 2009-02-02 Name: David E
Location: Allentown, PA

"13 SEER Ducane"
I have had this unit for 2 months of winter and whenever the temperature drops below 32 degrees the heat pump fails to operate. After observing the behavior for quite some time, it seems like the system trips itself (not the breaker) when trying to start up after defrosting. It is considerably louder during the defrost and then when it tries to start the fan will spin briefly and then the whole unit shuts down. The only way to get the heat pump back on line is to power down all units (thermostat, heat pump breaker, and air handler breaker) and cycle the power back on. I have noticed that none of the breakers are ever thrown, but the only way to get the system back up is to switch the breakers off and then on. Very frustrating for a brand new unit.

Date created: 2009-01-31 Name: tim shannon

"noisy piece of junk"
I have had nothing but trouble with my heatpump it is very noisy I have had the fan motor replaced once the expasion valve and both heat strips now the fan is extremly noisy I was told it probably has ice on it so I looked and it doesent ,sounds like another bearing going out do not buy ducane

Date created: 2009-01-21 Name: R. Hegetschweiler
Location: Quebec

"lots ov nerves and hundreds of $$$$$$$$"
December 2006 we installed a Ducane 3 ton heat pump. Combined with our almost new oil furnace, this should have worked for many years without high energy bills. That was the sales rep of a well registered construction compagny (Faucher et Guerin) out of Montreal said. But it was all wrong. The unit has worked for 1 week only. A new unit was installed 4 months later because of a back order problem with the supplier. During that whole winter we where enforced to heat our house on the emergency modus. The new 4 ton Unit installed in may 2007 worked well during the fall 2007 but back in Winter and as soon as it goes below 8 Celsius nothing workes properly anymore. We had the technician almost every week and hundereds of dollars later lawyer costs high energie bills, this Ducane heating pump is a real nightmare to us. We are now back in Winter 2009. Tecnicians are back almost every two weeks and we are still heating on the emergency modus, paying high oil bills and waisting money by trying to fix this Ducane unit. We simply dont know what do. The best thing will be probabley to remove the whole unit and buy a new one. But we will never touch any Ducane product.

Date created: 2009-01-04 Name: Gernot Ritzau
Location: Kensington, Maryland

"great units"
I just fixed up an old house to move into. I installed a split level system (5 ton upstairs, 2 ton down stairs). The smaller unit seems a bit noisy due to high air flow! Both units worked without aux heat and maintained the temperatures in the house with outside temperatures well below 20 Fahrenheit I paid 5200 for both units with electronic air cleaner and humidifier. I had a company install and charge the units for 6500. Trane or Carrier would have cost me at least 3000 more and I couldn't have found anyone to install them for me either!

Date created: 2008-12-28 Name: Andy Anderson
Location: Phoenix, AZ

"Owner Constuction Management Co. in Phoenix AZ."
I am in construction management. I design, estimate and help people buy the products for their homes at the best Quality for the price. (Only 35 years experience)I have a Ducane Unit. I have had it repaired 4 times in 4 years almost a year apart. But I am going to say this. It does not matter what you buy any more. Just watch the show "how it is made" that's right ; no human hands all by machines, so what do you all expect. They are all made the same. You might get a good one or a bad one. This is how it is. My best advice is to buy one that the manufacturer or distributor is local so you can actually go to them if you need to. They don't want to see you! Trust me! Andy

Date created: 2008-12-18 Name: B Romeo

"Discharge line split at compressor"
This heat pump ( 2HP13L60P-1A)is 2 years old and in Dec 2008 the heat quit working . The company that installed it came by and spent 4 hours and soldered a split discharge line . The pnly way this can split is fauly copper . The line was soldered and 10 lbs r22 added . The repairman stated that he could get over $ 1000 for this fix all day long . I asked if it was a defect why cant it be warrantied . I was told you have a 1 year labor warranty . I told him then he should have replaced the compressor and line under warranty , he said good luck getting paid for warranty so he charges the customer . Great way to make a living .

Date created: 2008-12-02 Name: JohnnY Black
Location: Loganville, GA

"My Ducane Pain"
A little after a year my compressor breaks at the factory weld. My 13 seer unit parts are covered under warranty at this point but I do have to pay labor costs of 650 to get repaired. I called Ducane and they said "there's nothing we can do for you" (in regards to labor compensation) My service repair tech. told me he'd replace the whole unit for Ducane is junk in his opinion. Judging by some of these complaints I'm reading here, I may ultimately have to do so!

Date created: 2008-11-14 Name: M. Litzau
Location: Maryland

"Anchor Environmental President"
The problems on this site with dis-satisfied customers are definitely install related. Many contractors hire incompetent installers.. a heat pump is a sensitive machine. It must be installed correctly and match the indoor unit. You can no longer install the outside without the inside. It must match! We install hundreds of these units. Actual failure rate is around 1.5%. Much better than other more expensive brands. We have had no warranty issues with Ducane. I am an engineer and also teach the HVAC trade.