Consumer Reviews of DUCANE heat pumps

Read more about DUCANE heat pumps

Date created: 2011-04-13 Name: J Croisant
Location: Glouster, VA

"Good Boat Anchor"
Since this unit was installed in 07 I have had 6 service calls and spent enough money to buy a good unit.It seems that every turn of the season I am throwing even more money into it. Now that spring is here guess what, I have to call and have it fixed again. Don't bother calling the service line you will just get a song and dance, empty promises and a broken heart. DO NOT BUY A DUCANE UNIT unless you like to burn money.

Date created: 2011-03-22 Name: Beth Campbell
Location: Buckingham VA

"Ducane heat pump"
Bought a home in 2006 and had a new Ducane heap pump installed. Didn't even make it a year before the first service call. Since then we have had 5 service calls, been without heat or a/c during these times. 90 degree elbow on compressor has blown twice, the second time a new elbow was used that is noticeably thicker copper. Each time this happened all the freone leaked out and had to have that replaced. Went to the BBB and the Attorney Generals office with this issue and all they keep coming back to us with is that the company is fulfilling their warranty. I have repeatedly told them and Allie Air that I am not complaining about the warranty but the actual product. I believe that this unit is a lemon and told them that when I replace it that I would be more then willing to deliver the unit to Allied Air. Then the 2 responders from there would be more then welcome to have this unit for their home! I would not reccommend a Ducane heat pump to anyone, it is a piece of JUNK!!

Date created: 2011-03-13 Name: James Blackford
Location: Martinsburg WV

"How about the satisfied customer"
You know I read all about the unsatisfied customer but no one read about the good service or how the unit has worked for them. How many unit are installed every day. How many unit are running great. I have a Coleman heatpump that has run for over 18 years and has been a good one. I bet if I was to look for Coleman heatpumps I would find a lot of unhappy camper to. I live in West Virginia and the winter's around here get cold to. Now that I'm looking to replace my unit and though that the internet would be a good place to check out review's all I see is unsatisfied customer. Yes I know their are lemons in the group, but one in ever 1000 or 3000 is not bad. So how about sum postive review's.

Date created: 2011-02-07 Name: Stephen Smith
Location: Fairmont' WV

"Owner- Hall Plumbing & Heating"
I am not so much unsatisfied with the product as I am with the warranty. A four month old heat pump should be replaced when a factory defect makes the unit inoperative. The coustomer paid for a new unit that should last 5 years or more without problems. I have no problem with replacement parts on one year or older units, but on a new unit I do. Why should I have to pay for the freight and the coustomer the labor for the company's screw-up. That says little for the quality of the product or the company.

Date created: 2011-02-06 Name: S. Myers
Location: Fleetwood, PA

"Ducane Heat Pumps"
I agree with Chuck. My experience has been very similar to his. I've had 8 service calls in less than 3 years. The last two times I had it serviced it ran for about four days before it quit again. I have also replaced enough parts on it to practically pay for a new heat pump. Only the part for the first repair was covered by the company. The warranty is horrible on these units. I could never recommend this product to ANYONE!

Date created: 2011-01-31 Name: Chuck Y
Location: Jacksonville Florida

"DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY"
I purchased my 3 Ton Ducane on Feb. 12th 2005. It came with a 5 years parts warranty. It never defrosted from day one but since I live in Florida by the time the repairman got around to getting here the sun was up and the ice melted. Oct 21 2010 8 months out of warranty the unit quit. I've replaced the Compressor, Circuit/Defrost Board (3 times) The Heat Relays and Expansion Valve, still don't work? Now I'm told the Evaporator Core is leaking and the Reversing Valve is Bad? Basically saying every piece in the unit went bad at once. The repairman NOW recommends I buy a new unit after I've sit here since before Thanksgiving with no heat in the coldest weather in Florida History. Between the dozen times the repairman has been here and all the parts I have purchased I've spent just about enough to buy a new unit and still have a Ducane Piece Of JUNK that don't work. I know they are owned by Lennox but have their own plant in Blackville S.C. and just their Cheap Version of a Heat Pump yet the price I paid for it sure wasn't cheap. They should NEVER be allowed to sell such junk on the market. I will Never buy anything with the Ducane name on it again, not even a grill. That goes for Lennox as well. They should be ashamed!!

Date created: 2011-01-30 Name: Robert Wilson
Location: Niles, Ohio

"Bobert"
I've owned my ducane heat pump for 3 yrs also have ducane furnace had installed same time. I've been pretty happy with them so far. I didn't realize the problems so many are having til I read these complaints. I guess the reason I went to this site was because of the very loud noise I get when the heat pump kicks on. I wasn't sure if this is a problem or not then I read that someone else has same problem. I guess if that's my only problem then I'm luckier than most on this site. I hope that mine last long I'd hate to replace it. I did have a good instaler do the work. He said he has installed hundreds of units different brands and that this is the least brand he has trouble and service calls with. I went with his opinion since he does know. I guess like the one person said anything man made can break so it's like anything, you get good and you get bad ones.

Date created: 2011-01-20 Name: Jason

"Terrible unit"
I have a Ducane 2HP13 3-ton heat pump. It has left us without heat for about a month this winter. Blows circuit boards at random. Parts are under warranty, but they take a week to come in, and you still have to pay for the labor. Technicians are baffled as to why it keeps going down. The entire thing is a hunk of junk.

Date created: 2011-01-03 Name: Dan
Location: Ohio

"Heat Pump"
Two ton unit installed by builder in 2001; had two circuit boards replaced at $600 each; shopping for replacement.

Date created: 2010-10-24 Name: Fred
Location: Delaware

"Working well so far..."
After reading so many negative reviews I'm thinking we were fortunate. We have had a two-ton Ducane heat pump in service since 2002 and it's still plugging along with no repair issues. This house was built in '62 and had never had forced-air heating or cooling before. The contractor had the heat pump installed by a reputable tech. However, as we later learned, a jackleg subcontractor was hired to install the ductwork. The system wasn't right from Day One. It ran constantly. It couldn't keep up in summer and delivered cold air in winter when the outside temp was below freezing. We had a local HVAC contractor out to look it over and offer suggestions. He wasn't all that thrilled with the Ducane brand but told us as long as it functioned, the half-assed ductwork should be replaced. That's now done. It's been working much better and the electric bills are lower. The heat pump was installed together as a matched set. Going on 8 years now, the unit is still functioning. And it's been working through some very cold and icy winters.