Comparing over 45,000 air conditioners, boilers, furnaces and heat pumps

Consumer Reviews of Coleman heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about Coleman heat pumps

Date created: 2014-02-13 Name: P. Jump
Location: Sevierville, TN

"Wish I hadn't bought"
I bought this heat pump in March 2013 and it has been nothing but a headache. It has not worked right ever. Getting my heat and air guy puts off coming to fix it and he has and he does somethings and still doesn't work. I put it in to help me save on my electricity - It helped the electric company because my electricity bill doubled and more. This has been a bad winter - no heat means pipes freeze, pipes starting to thaw, pipes burst. I have had to replace most of the pipes in my house. I build a box around my well pump and had a vent put in there so no frozen well - guess what frozen well. More pipes to freeze. Yes I tried to keep my water running but no heat pipes freeze anyway. Finally the Heat and Air company, and my threats came and put in another one. Guess what it is still not working. I am so upset and really wish I had listened to others and not trust Coleman this time. Who would have thought that pumps would be this bad. I would like to trust Coleman, but how since I only had major problems with it. Oh, by the way - My thermostat is set at 76 degrees, but now my house temp is 56 degrees in the house. So what now! Would I buy the same brand again? Would you?

Date created: 2014-02-06 Name: Lily
Location: Philadelphia, PA

"VERY DISAPPOINTED"
This is to the people who say that poor installation is the problem. Although I do agree that poor installation causes many problems, but Coleman is also responsible for that. If you entrust your brand to anyone, expect people to blame you if the system goes down. My parents had their Coleman system installed 4 years ago and during the worst winter we've had since they bought the system, it fails. This year is the first year that is has been consistently cold from the start. Yes the system was running a lot this winter but they did not purchase a "top of the line" system for when it's 60 degrees outside. Now we have to pay for shipping of the product and labor. If my parents didn't spend a ton of money for the system and to have it installed, I wouldn't be so upset. They didn't go cheap, they never do when it comes to their house. I'm sorry for the person who lost their job because of bad Coleman reviews. But please, please do not blame us when we are putting out hundreds and even thousands of dollars to get a brand new or fairly new system repaired. Coleman is allowing anyone to install their products yet they do not want to take any responsibility for labor which is usually the most expensive part of repairs. In the end, it is their product and they should take some responsibility.

Date created: 2014-01-18 Name: Jeffrey Samples
Location: Kalama, WA

"No Problems with my Coleman"
Purchased 6 years ago. Power went down $50 (.05/kw budget bill was $171 per month). Ac uses less power than Neptune dryer. If < 30 degrees snow catches in grill, spray with deicer (glycerin) to stop ice build up. Outside box is real quiet compared to other neighbors cheap units. If in colder area you need gas for inside coils use a lot of power and gets expensive. Replaced Carrier for Coleman due to space. No regrets. Having good HVAC techs with maintenance contract (entek) makes for reliability all the time.

Date created: 2013-11-14 Name: S. Koepper
Location: Gatineau, Quebec

"Ready For The Scrap Yard"
Should never have replaced our 20-year old reliable Ruud thermopompe with this piece of scrap. Was convinced Coleman was the top-of-the-line. After one year, the compressor needed replacement. Now at 4 years old, it operates and sounds like a refurbished piece of garbage. Do not buy a Coleman!!!!

Date created: 2013-09-29 Name: J
Location: Sc

"Ease of Installation"
I'm a contractor in South Carolina. I'm here to tell you I have flip-flopped around with various brands but I am sticking with this one. Name recognition, high quality, awesome tech support, ease of installation, and the best extended warranty on the market by far. My employees love installing them and all of my customers are pleased with this product. My advice?? Hire a competent contractor and get the comfort plan!

Date created: 2013-08-23 Name: J.Misner
Location: Ca.

"Good for Parts"
This is good for scrap metal. It spend most of the time just sitting there waiting for parts. Sounds like a biplane when it runs. Scares away the stray cats so it's not completely useless. 3 years old.

Date created: 2013-07-21 Name: Mike
Location: Scottsdale, Az

"1996 Units Still Running"
My two original 1996 Coleman units installed when the house was built are still running fine. One condenser fan motor failure in almost 20 years. I'm replacing them this fall only because everything fails eventually. Coleman is number one on my list.

Date created: 2013-02-20 Name: Jo Fry
Location: Trenton, Ohio 45067

"Mrs Jo Ann Fry"
Not upset with heat pump exactly but the Heating and air company that installed it. I need to ask what the problem is that I cant switch from heat to air. He would come in late fall and late spring to switch it over so now for that s winter he won't answer my calls so we have heated with electric heaters all winter. What could be the problem and who in my area could I call to repair? He got his money and he doesn't care now. Any advise out there? Thank you for your time.These are numbers for model ahx42d3xh21a.

Date created: 2012-11-28 Name: Dagney
Location: spokane

"Who is John Galt?"
I am reading reviews and John Galt has it 1000% right -- the unit must be installed properly!

Date created: 2012-09-28 Name: D Gore
Location: Lakeland, FL

"Never Ending Leaky Evaporator Coil"
Purchased unit 2006 from contractor and they installed it. 3 years later Evaporator coil leaks. Under warranty. Free coil but $400 labor. $130 for initial call and charge until coil arrives. 3 years later evap coil freezes and no cool. Again leaky evaporator coil now out of warranty. 1 can stop leak, 3 lbs r22 and $390 and it is working. 6 months later Stops working. I have spent $920 on service calls in 6 years and it is still failing. I do not want to spend another dime on a piece of crap that never stops leaking. Purchased from Lilly's ac in Lakeland fl and serviced by the same. I traced current problem to Low pressure switch (soldered) and am using a portable ac that works. My father has window units all 10 tears old with no problems and this units never stops having problems.