Consumer Reviews of CARRIER heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about CARRIER heat pumps

Date created: 2009-07-13 Name: tim monteforte

"Hunk of JUNK"
I have a carrier heat pump now for 10 years. It has been nothing but a total hunk of junk. I can't even remember all the repairs that have been done and re don threw the years. The evaparator coil looks like a bag of rust and is of course leaks. The heat coils have gone bad even the condensor fan fell out the only good thing it did not hit the condensor. It is loud, when the heat pump kicks on it sounds like a jet engine taking off. don't buy a hunk of junk. stay away from carrier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date created: 2009-07-07 Name: Diane

"Still working"
Have owned 2 4-ton units since we built the house in 1985. We are at the end of a major remodel so I'm looking for something that will use less energy than the units purchased 24 years ago, but they are both still running and cooling a large house. One better than the other, but actually running well. Replaced 1 thermostat about 5 years ago, but other than that not much maintenance. I came to this site to compare brands, and it seems people post mostly when unhappy.

Date created: 2009-05-25 Name: F. Tallis

"Loud"
I moved into my new house last week, and the carrier heat pump I have is so loud that I have to turn it off at night just to sleep. I called my local Carrier repair man and he said that all Carriers are loud.

Date created: 2009-05-06 Name: J. Irish

"3 ton dies at 10 years"
House is 10 years old, evaporator is ate up with rust & leaking. drawing 10+ amps (evening) & freezing up. Guy tried to sell me another Carrier, not...

Date created: 2009-05-05 Name: Rick Vroman

"Carrier/Bryant Heat Pump Builders Grade 4 ton"
First 6 years were fine. In the seventh year we had 2 freon leaks, replaced 2 motors, and replaced the fan in the attic unit. Total cost ~$3000.

Date created: 2009-05-02 Name: Philip Wu
Location: Pacific Northwest (Portland)

"Excellent So Far"
Just installed a Carrier Performance series heat pump 25hpa5 paired with an indoor Infinity series fan coil. This replaced an almost 20 year old pure electric resistance furnace and an old Carrier central air conditioner. The heat pump is great -- very quiet and as far as I can tell with just 2 months use very energy efficient. The indoor fan coil makes less noise than my refrigerator. With the moderate temperatures here in the Pacific Northwest (Portland), this combination will be great.

Date created: 2009-04-15 Name: CARRIER

"Carrier Infinity Hybrid system"
Replaced a 17 year old gas furnace in Nov07 with Infinity system. supposedly state of the art. 1400 sF home, pump could handle up to 2500 sf. 9 service calls while under warranty, coudnt find the problems until after warranty was expired. New compressor in less than one year cost 1500.00 not to mention 500.00 in random other service charges. Wrote carrier a letter and that got attention, they paid for the compressor to be replaced. Three days after the compressor was replaced it blew out again. So within 1 week, two compressors. I have a lemon. Stay away!

Date created: 2009-04-04 Name: CARRIER

"Noisy!"
First the positives: Had some problems at the beginning. Sears people (who we bought from) didn't really know what to do except swap parts. But after that it has been pretty reliable. It also heats fairly well. The biggest problem is the noise. It sounds like a tank when running, and makes a loud clunk when it shuts off. Our neighbours aren't impressed, and neither are we. Below 5 degrees (C), it becomes extremely loud and we go back to the regular furnace. Air conditioning is OK, but by the end of a hot day something starts to rattle and click outside; the only solution is to turn the machine off and roast for an hour before turning back on. We also have to close lots of vents and shut most of the blinds for the A/C to work properly. A Lennox heat pump down the street is 1/4 the noise. In a neighbourhood of closely packed homes, our Carrier unit simply isn't good enough and we won't buy one again. This was a big mistake.

Date created: 2009-03-22 Name: CARRIER

"Frank in West Va."
We bought a new house 16 yrs ago and it came with a 2.5 ton carrier heat pump. Guess I shouldn't complain too much because it did last this long; although we use it mostly for cooling, it costs too much to heat the house with it so I burn coal for heat. Only repairs was last summer had a leak repaired. Finally last week I turned it on & it ran for a while, then only the outside fan would run & wouldn't shut off until I turned off the breakers. It's too old to start sinkin a bunch of money into, so I'll replace it with a new one. My big complaint is no one makes a filter for this unit, an oddball size, tired of making my own filters, I think just for the heck of it I'll switch brands.

Date created: 2009-02-22 Name: Mitchell Abercrombie
Location: Ellijay, GA

"Colmon"
Relay is bad I think. I dont know the title of it.