Comparing over 45,000 air conditioners, boilers, furnaces and heat pumps

Consumer Reviews of ARMSTRONG heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about ARMSTRONG heat pumps

Date created: 2011-04-26 Name: GySgt Frank Gar USMC
Location: Jacksonville NC

"Made in USA? Buy quality, don't waste money"
When I was Deployed as a Gunny US Marines, my wife had a new unit put in. Armstrong air. Forced air propane furnace with A/C combo. I had it serviced regular but it has broken down EVER YEAR just about. The first year the condensor fan quit. Pay for a Trane, Lennox, or Carrier. It will save you in the long run. The part that hurts the worst is it was supposed to be made in the USA. Ohio. Whatever happened to Union pride and craftsmanship? I am getting a new unit. A quality one.

Date created: 2011-02-28 Name: B. Cox
Location: Oklahoma City, OK

"Nothing but problems and repairs."
I purchased an Armstrong Heat Pump on 1-7-2005. On 3-7-2008, the compressor went out and even though it was replaced under warranty, it still cost me $1128.85 to also replace the fan motor, run capacitor and recharge the freon. On 2-12-2010, I had to spend another $969.81 to replace an expansion valve. Again on 3-5-2010, I had to spend another $676.00 to replace another condensor fan motor. Then on 2-28-2011, I had to spend another $700 in repairs. I have never been so disappointed and disgusted with this whole situation. I will never purchase another Armstrong product and I strongly recommend that you don't either.

Date created: 2011-02-09 Name: Bill Fink
Location: Wilmington, NC

"Horrible Experience!"
Built a BRAND NEW HOME - the builder used Armstrong to "cut corners." All I can say is: Junk - after being installed had nothing but problems for FIFTEEN months until the builder finally replaced it with a Trane. Even though they replaced the unit, I was out nearly $1,000 for unnecessary electric bills from running off the heating (AUX) coils because the unit wasn't even functioning.

Date created: 2011-02-01 Name: michael debo
Location: fairfield,ohio

"armstrong"
after 2&1/2 yrs.compressor went out.labor cost $608.works for awhile then starts blowing cold air so i have to switch to emergency heat.the reason i got a heatpump was to save on oil.they're coming today to replace my furnace belt.so far problem not solved.this has been going on about 6 weeks.frustrated!

Date created: 2011-01-14 Name: A.Cone
Location: Windsor, Va

"junk"
Had a 3.5 ton unit installed 4 years ago, and had nothing but problems since. I honestly cannot tell you how many times i've had this thing repaired, i've lost count. But the repair man has been out 4 times within the last six months, the latest problem was bad fan bearings and a leaking compressor, warranty covered the parts, but not the hundreds of dollars in labor to fix. Will some attorney please bring a class action lawsuit against this company please.

Date created: 2010-12-17 Name: T NORRIS
Location: BIRMINGHAM AL

"home owner"
I AM VERY UNHAPPY WITH THIS ARMSTRONG SYSTEM THE UNIT WAS INSTALLED IN 2001 I HAVE HAD TO HAVE (3) AIR COMPRESSORS INSTALLE TWO I HAD TO PAY FOR LABOR AND NOW THE COMPRESSOR IS HAVING PROBLEMS STARTING I JUST FOUND OUT IT SHOULD HAVE A COMPRESSOR HEATER FROM THE BEGING TO KEEP THE OIL FROM GETING THICK AND HAVE MOISTURE IN IT WHICH WILL WIPE OUT THE BRGS THE HEAT EXCHANGER HAS A FAN RELAY WHICH I HAVE HADE TO REPLACE ALMOST YEARLY I WOULD NOT BUY OR ADVISE ANYONE TO BUY THIS BRAND

Date created: 2010-08-12 Name: B. Johnson
Location: Nebraska

"10 years and no problems"
I have a 10 year old Armstrong heat pump that has worked great since day 1. Never had to replace a part or add any refrigerant. Right now it's 93 degrees outside and a comfy 74 in the house.

Date created: 2010-07-24 Name: Paul S.

"Model 2SHP13LE148P-1"
This piece of junk was less than 1 year old before it stopped working. Our installer and salesman are one in the same. He is a prince of a guy and almost as disgusted with Armstrong as we are. In month 13 of ownership, we have replaced every part in this piece of crap. It works for a day or two and something else will fail. Always on the very hottest day. Armstrong sent a factory rep out but decided against replacing this lemon. Isn't there an attorney out there that bought one of these that will file a class action suit? Sign me up!

Date created: 2010-06-17 Name: B. H.

"Would not reccomend"
I had a 3 ton unit installed in my home along with a new electric furnace 5 years ago. I have had no major issues other than not being able to keep the house warm in the winter until this summer. Went to start up the a/c and the compressor was junk. Now, I am being told it could cost anywhere from $450-$1000 to replace a compressor (that was under a 10 year warranty)... I was told the compressor is free, but the labor and all of the other parts that are required to be replaced by Armstrong are not. Seems to me like it would just be cheaper to replace the heat pump instead of the free compressor!!

Date created: 2010-05-31 Name: Armstrong

"MODEL???????"
Please tell the model or seer rating of your heat pumps. I have a model 4shp16lt124p - 16 seer New installation 18 months ago. Unit has only functioned properly for 3 months. It is being replaced by the supplier. The contractor wants to replace it with a 4shp14le118p - 14 seer " less problems". Does any one have the 4shp18lt124p - 18 seer unit? I see it has a 10 year warrenty on parts.