Consumer Reviews of American Standard heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about American Standard heat pumps

Date created: 2010-02-24 Name: J. Dow

"Never buy another Trane / American Standard"
New house built in '07, 3 1/2 Ton American Standard Package Heat Pump installed. Good installation, good company. Very noisy unit, wakes you up when it starts. Now, the defrost has gone out and it's frozen solid, had the sensor replaced, worked for awhile, then started freezing up again. Scary thing is, when it freezes up, ice accumulates above the circuits and wiring inside the control box. When opened, ice was laying on the contactor and defrost control leaving water in with the electrical components.

Date created: 2010-02-21 Name: Yura Dumass

"read this"
This website should be called installer review because that's what the problem usually is. American Standard is a good product and it's bad that crappy installers give it a bad rep.

Date created: 2010-02-16 Name: J. Carlton

"Should not fail this soon"
I bought the American Standard Heat pump in 2005. The condenser fan blade fell off two years ago. It is a noisy unit too. It has heated and cooled ok but just before the five year warranty ran out the outside coil leaked all the freon out through a pin hole in the line. Now, the dealer says that because the unit was manufactured during the previous year of the installation that Trane/American Standard will not honor the warranty! I will never purchase from either of these manufacturers again. Lesson learned.

Date created: 2010-02-03 Name: Mike

"American Standard 16SEER Heat pump"
American Standard Heritage 16seer 3ton heat pump, 95% 2stage variable speed gas furnace backup. Excellent system, pretty quiet and efficient. Replaced a 4 year old noisy York system. An HVAC system is only as good as the installation. A good system installed poorly results in poor performance!!! Get referrals!!! I would recommend American Standard to anyone. FYI American Standard and Trane are the same company.

Date created: 2010-01-26 Name: S. Clark

"Big Problems"
Eversince we brought this unit, we have had 4 service calls. Duncan Heating & AC responded to these calls under warranty. This last call drove our utility bill up (normal winter bill approx.$200.00) to 374.00, caused by a freon leak. A freon leak that the service man says will cost us 250.00 to fix. Is this unit old enough to warrant 4 service calls and a leak? This is a 13 Seer unit.

Date created: 2010-01-26 Name: Jo Payne

"american standard heat pump"
Not heating right. Supposed to be more efficient than my old Trane furnace which was a heat pump. Have it running from furnace, then the heat pump works when it gets warmer. Put an outside sensor on it. Said this was suppose to be better, but to me it is still cold at 70 degrees.

Date created: 2010-01-20 Name: Teresa

"Replaced Rheem with American Standard"
Just got an American Standard 3.0 ton Heritage 20 split heat pump 1-19- 2010 after our 3 1/2 year old Rheem stopped working. We did not even try to have the Rheem fixed. We were just sick of this piece of junk. Too early to tell about our new system, American Standard 3.0 ton Heritage split heat pump but I'll let you know in a few months. So far, it's really a lot better than what we had and I love the quietness of our new system. We were thinking on getting the AccuClean air cleaner later on. Has anyone got that with this system? If so, how do you like it?

Date created: 2010-01-13 Name: Annette

"Home Owner"
We have a 3 ton and a 4 ton unit for our home on separate sides of the house. After 19 years in our home, we have now installed 2 inside air handler systems on each side and 4 condenser/compressor units each on the outside. The newest units for both sides of the house were purchased within the last 6 months and are American Standard. I was without any heat over New Year's and had this resolved last week. However, I am also like another reviewer wrote, very unhappy about the heat strips coming on at 40 degrees. My other brands did not do this since we live in a farming community - it gets about 15 degrees colder than in the city. My unit seems to constantly be on auxillary heat even if it is not 40 degrees. Had I known this fact, I would never have purchased this brand and if the matter does not clear up, I also will seek a lawyer, get my money back and go with another brand. So far we have had Ruud, Carrier and Goodman and now American Standard. I don't think any of them are worth the money you pay for them.

Date created: 2010-01-09 Name: L. Schoch

"why is it so loud? Loud is an understatement"
I have had heat pumps most of my life and never heard one with this much noise. I live in a condo community, and I just had it installed yesterday. If I had know this before purchase, I would have bought another brand. As far as the heating and cooling, I am satisfied.

Date created: 2010-01-07 Name: Patrick Gilliam

"american standard is worth it"
Me and my wife bought 2 American standard heat pumps and we are very satisfied with them.