Consumer Reviews of American Standard heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about American Standard heat pumps

Date created: 2011-04-05 Location: Huntsville, Alabama

"American Standard heat pumps suck dont get one"
We bought our house new in March 2009. Came with two American Standard heat pumps (one for each floor of the house), sitting side by side (each a 3 ton split unit). The compressor went out on one in 2010. Warranty on labor was only one year (!), so had to pay $400 in labor to replace. Today, the compressor in the other heat pump went (lucky us); parts are covered, but labor will be $721. The house we owned before this one had a single-unit Trane, whose compressor died after 5 years. (Trane makes American Standard heat pumps.) Needless to say, I will NEVER buy a TRANE or American Standard HVAC unit again, as ALL THREE of the ones I've owned have gone bad within only a few years. (Note: I replaced the Trane with a Carrier, which gave no trouble at all until we moved 7 years later; AFAIK, it's still going.)

Date created: 2011-03-09 Name: D. Cramer
Location: Huntsville, Alabama

"Beware: American Standard = POS"
We bought our house new in March 2004. Came with two American Standard heat pumps (one for each floor of the house), sitting side by side (each a 3 ton split unit). The compressor went out on one in 2006. Warranty on labor was only one year (!), so had to pay $400 in labor to replace. Today, the compressor in the other heat pump went (lucky us); parts are covered, but labor will be $721. The house we owned before this one had a single-unit Trane, whose compressor died after 5 years. (Trane makes American Standard heat pumps.) Needless to say, I will NEVER buy a TRANE or American Standard HVAC unit again, as ALL THREE of the ones I've owned have gone bad within only a few years. (Note: I replaced the Trane with a Carrier, which gave no trouble at all until we moved 7 years later; AFAIK, it's still going.)

Date created: 2011-03-02 Name: D McDivitt
Location: Kokomo, IN

"Heritage 15"
Had a new Heritage 15 American Standard installed two days ago. Had to replace a 17 year old Lennox HP. My house has never been warmer, the unit is quiet and after 48 hours.....purrs like a kitten. I spent a little extra $$ for the best installers in town! Why would I want to save 800 bucks over the life of a heat pump with questionable installation?!?

Date created: 2011-02-26 Name: Kenny Carter
Location: Huntington, WV

"I hate my heat pump"
I hate my american standard heat pump. It is 3 yrs old and since November it has been frozen like a block of ice. The repair man has been to my house 7 times, they justed replaced the coil and it still is frozen. The company has little to no help. They only replace parts and will not pay for labor, nor my electric bills. I have had over 1400 of electric bills in the past 3 months. I should be about 200-250 a month. I am looking to replace my system as I can not afford this every month.

Date created: 2011-02-20 Name: John Murphy
Location: Collinsville IL

"Heat pump review"
I just wanted to pass this a long to those of you who are cosidering a heat-pump. I just had Amer. Standard p/n 4A6B4042E1000AB and AccuClean air filtration system installed on 1-27-11 by a GREAT contractor Guaranteed Comfort and Energy, Inc here in Collinsville IL. I must say at this time I am very pleased with the system and how it works. Our home has even heating now with no cold spots like it had with forced air. The key that I found was to pick a good contractor who explains the whole system and how it works and is sized to your home. I spoke to 10 different contractors and then went on line to educated myself on different systems. All of them except one gave my the typical answers, but Mr Flemming Pres. of Guaranteed offer up answers that I didn't even think about until he brought them up. I was impressed. The Amer. Standard brand looks great and is funtioning well .... time will tell. Hope this help those who are considering Amer, Standard ....I'm HAPPY.

Date created: 2011-02-11 Name: David smith

"Top of the line seen heat pumps"
Installers just left our house. They cleaned our units and politely informed us that we had a mold problem. We needed to purchase the uv light units to kill the mold. They would cost $500 each and we needed two of them and the lights needed replaced every two years and they cost $100 each.wow, what a nice surprise since my wife has been complaining of an upper respiratory ailment for the last month. We were fed a story that these new, top of the line units were so efficient that they ran slower and more humidity was extracted from the air and more moisture built up inside them than in the cheaper units. This of course led to the mold problem. I wish I had seen these reviews prior to our purchase and I hope that I can spare someone else from getting urned. We were told by our installers that these units were the best out there and they were the absolute top of the line. From what I am reading and from our experience, I don't think so!!!!!!!

Date created: 2011-01-31 Name: CJM
Location: TEXAS

"Must fix the mold"
I AM A CONTRACTOR IN SOUTH CENTRAL TEXAS . I INSTALLED AN 18 SEER HEAT PUMP SYSTEM IN MY HOUSE IN 2006 AND CHANGED IT OUT IN 2010 . I HAD AN ACCU-CLEAN AIR FILTER SYSTEM ON IT WITH A GUARDIAN UV LIGHT (AROUND 1500.00) INSTALLED WITH THE SYSTEM AND WHEN I OPENED UP THE AIR HANDLER , I FOUND A LARGE AMOUNT OF MOLD IN THERE . MAYBE THAT WAS WHY MY WIFE HAD CONSTANT HEADACHES IN THE HOUSE OR WHY MY 9 NINE YEAR OLD WAS ALWAYS SNEEZING . I TAKE NOTE OF OTHER SYSTEMS I WORK ON AND AMERICAN STANDARD/TRANE UNITS SEEM TO BE THE WORST I HAVE SEEN . PLEASE DO YOUR RESEARCH ON YOUR EQUIPMENT AND PLEASE DOUBLE YOUR RESEARCH ON YOUR CONTRACTOR . HE MAKES MORE OF A DIFFERENCE THAN ANY BRAND OR PIECE OF EQUIPMENT . GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS

Date created: 2011-01-25 Name: Rob M
Location: Central VA

"Heat pump"
Bought this house 4 years ago and the Am. Std unit has worked ok, but it is 21 years old. A bunch of problems recently though.

Date created: 2011-01-23 Name: Jerri Spell
Location: Mendenhall,MS

"Senior Citiens BEWARE"
My Father had this unit installed on 7-9-2007 with a 10 year warranty. On 12-8-10 the unit stopped blowing so he called dealer who installed it River City Heating & Air (owner Jerry Coleman) they tried to defrost with torches with no luck.came back on 12-9-10 and put one of my fathers portable heaters on it overnight. My father called them to let them know it was thawed out so river city came back on 12-10-10 apparently guys could not fix so called owner Jerry Coleman out and he said a switch over wire was never installed on thermostat so one was installed and he was put on emergency heat and promised to send someone from Jackson to come out to service which would be 12-13-10. when no one showed up on 12-13-10 my father called owner and saw that his (fathers) phone number had been blocked.He then called American Standard and was given a "ticket number" and was told he would be contacted. Let me say that his house has been no more than 50 degrees inside. He is a heart patient and on oxygen. 12-14-10 another call to american standard no retun call. 12-17-10 another call to american standard no return call. 12 27-10 my sister called and talked to Nate in customer service and was told a Field Rep would be in touch on 12-27 or 12-28-2010 no one has called . 1-21-11 I called american standard from his house this weekend and talked to teresa in customer service who gave me a ticket number which happened to be the same ticket number my fatehr was given on 12-13-10 so i know they have a record of all calls.she said she would send email to supervisor . here it is 1-24-11 it is 33 degrees outside and no more than 45-50 degrees in his house. he had to turn off emergency heat because his electric bill was $320.00 and being a senior citizen he is on a fixed income. he is using several small portable heaters to try to stay warm. i found one he had left on for several days so this is not only a health issue but a safety issue. I would not recommend american standard or river city heat and cool to anyone. we are filing report with attorney general and better business bureau. Someone has to stand up for our senior citizens.

Date created: 2011-01-22 Name: scott franks
Location: westmiddlesex PA

"Heat"
I am very unsatisfied with my american standard heat pump every time there is a dramatic change in weather it breaks.