Consumer Reviews of AMANA heat pumps

Read more about AMANA heat pumps

Date created: 2014-01-07 Name: Lois
Location: VA

"Worthless Junk"
I inherited this piece of junk when I moved into my home two years ago. Thank goodness it is still under its last year of warranty. I have made at least 10 service calls within two years to United Air Temps. The compressor and coils had to be replaced and this was determined after 6 visits within four months. After this replacement, the system went out again within two months. Repair Tech said it was the reversing valve. The manager came to my house with a whistle and a smile three weeks later, after I waited for the part that did not show up, and said it was not the valve. Itís amazing he knew this without even checking. How brilliant of him. The situation was never resolved after complaints to bbb, useless. I refuse to live in the cold during winter time. I am replacing this unit but not with Amana and I will never call United Air Temp for service.

Date created: 2013-12-04 Name: E Priester
Location: Minn

"What's This"
Way too noisy! When the unit runs outside, it is very noisy. My neighbors have another brand without any noise. They don't even hear it with old windows, mine are brand new Marvin'S. Very disappointed in this furnace/AC. The engineers who design this need to have them by their homes.

Date created: 2013-11-29 Name: M. Wisdo
Location: Orlando Florida

"Amana Heat Pump - I Cannot Recommend"
Purchased the top of the line Amana heat-A/C system in August 2011. When the system is working, it does an excellent job of cooling my home in Florida. However, my pleasure was short lived in June of 2012. The ECM motor failed, labor cost $490.00. In August of 2012, the control board failed, labor cost $210.00. In November of 2013, the ECM motor failed again, labor cost $490.00. My air conditioning system is 2 years and 3 months old and has broken down 3 times, twice in the heat of the summer and I had to wait for parts. All parts were covered under the manufacturer's warranty but based on the repair history, I cannot recommend this product.

Date created: 2013-10-23 Name: Sandi
Location: Ma.

"Questions"
I'm heating a sunroom with the Amana 15,000-17,000 btu heat pump. I live in the cold country of Massachusetts. In the summer, the air conditioner works great but in the winter, the heating bill is $350.00 per month just for a 12x24 feet room. The room has the best insulation possible. Why would the difference be so much. The air conditioner runs most of the summer and is great, but I can't afford to heat it in the winter month. Any suggestions?

Date created: 2013-09-08 Name: Joe Ramsey
Location: Paris, Texas

"Broke and Can't Get it Fixed!"
Condenser coil had catastrophic leak 3 1/2 years after installation. Although it is still under warranty, the local service agent cannot get the needed coil. I have been simmering in Texas heat for the last 3 weeks (August 19, 2013 thru today September 8). The temperature has ranged from 98 to 104 each and everyday. Still... no coil! Amana (Goodman) takes no blame for the unavailability of needed part, they blame everyone else. No one will take responsibility at this point, blame each other and still do not know where a part is. However, when I pressured the local Amana repair service agent (same people that installed it), they said this was not unusual of Amana. Today, September 8, 2013, I am dumbfounded by everyone involved and believe that there is a wider conspiracy going on from manufacturer to the installers/service people with regard to Amana's/Goodman's quality issues. I can taste it and feel it. Unfortunately, I am one among many that have nowhere to turn other than replacing the unit at my expense. Please, do your research before buying Amana/Goodman products!

Date created: 2013-08-07 Name: Mike
Location: Carrollton

"Don't Buy This Product"
Nothing but problems since it was installed brand new in a house built in 2006. Capacitors, system boards, etc, etc. This is the only HVAC unit that I've had tons of problems. Even changing the filter is a major stress point. Poorly designed, poorly built. I'd rather have a Trane than an Amana and that's pretty bad.

Date created: 2013-07-22 Name: Tony Cataquet
Location: Tampa, FL

"Stay Away - Costly Repairs"
I replaced my AC system with an Amana ASZC160481 heat pump and matched "air handler" in May 210. I chose Amana because the good reviews and potential energy savings. The first year the unit worked like a charm. Then in June 2011 the unit lost refrigerant. $720 later it was running again. January 2013, the unit lost refrigerant again. A leak was found near the compressor and $864 later it was running again. A year later in January 2013, it lost refrigerant again. They found a discharge line leaking and a defective Schrader valve. $720 later it was running again. Today, 21 July 2013, the unit stopped cooling. The heat pump is not running, the lines near the compressor look oily and there is a lot of green oil in the bottom of the drain pan. Is this going to be another $800 down the drain? If I knew then what I know now, I would have stayed away from Amana.

Date created: 2013-06-07 Name: Yvonne Looney
Location: Knoxville, TN

"Retired"
Stay away from this brand, we had an Amana heat pump installed in 2012. Worked great first year, then compressor went out. The unit is not yet paid in full and has cost us $1000.00 out of pocket because apparently nothing is covered under warranty. They have you over a barrel either you let them fix it and pay and hope you get your money back or not let them fix it and suffer, either way you suffer the consequences. Stay away from Amana.

Date created: 2013-05-09 Name: R. Workman

"Amana Poor Quality"
I purchased two units in 2005 and I've had to have at least one of them repaired every year since. The repairman states that there are known defects in the "a" coil causing a complete failure and Amana will only warranty the failed part and not the loss of the freon, or freight, or service charge etc. Would not buy again. You have been warned!

Date created: 2013-04-12 Name: C.G.
Location: Florida

"AMANA 15 SEER"
We had an Amana 15 SEER Heat Pump system installed in our home in 2010 and I warn everyone not to buy this system. It has been almost 3 years and we've had to call out a technician 3 times. This last time we had called because it was not blowing any cold air. We were told that the Freon was depleted and there was a leak in the coil. The coil replacement is covered under warranty but we have to pay approximately $400 for labor. Extremely displeased. The whole point in getting the "energy efficient" model was to save MONEY....not to spend more and more money. This just seems like a scam if you ask me. We paid $5,700 up front for this thing and now we have to pay hundreds of dollars here and there for things to go right.