Comparing over 45,000 air conditioners, boilers, furnaces and heat pumps

Read more about York furnaces

Date created: 2014-04-14 Name: Maridon
Location: Edmonton, Alberta

"Don't buy York"
Broke down once on the 1st year it was installed. Three times on the 2nd year. Cost me around $800 for parts, labor and repair. This year, it's only April and so far, it already broke down twice. This should serve as a big red flag to those people wanting to buy or replace their furnace. Never buy York. It is a piece of junk!

Date created: 2014-04-12 Name: Consumers in Idaho
Location: Idaho

"Hi-Temp Switch"
We've owned this unit now for 28 days and the high temp switch went bad. The fan ran continuously. Even when I had the unit turned off. The only solution was to turn it off at the breaker box. We were told that there is a York recall (haven't been able to find any recalls), and that they've had to replace about 11 of them now with an adjustable thermostat switch. The factory one was set at 140 or 160 degrees, and the new one is set at 200 degrees. 20 minutes for the tech to replace, and we're back in business. Other than this problem, the furnace has been great. We hope this was an isolated incident, and not just the start of problems to come.

Date created: 2014-02-26 Name: Mike O'Donnell
Location: Fox Creek AB Canada

"Very noisy fan"
I had my Affinity 9.m installed 5 years ago. Right from the start the fan made a lot of noise on start up. Once the fan motor goes to a higher speed (it has 5 speeds) the fan makes less noise but is never quiet. In the first few months the installer replaced the motor twice, and the whole electronic and fan assembly once. The noise still continued. The York rep in Edmonton says that the fan noise is caused by a fried diode on the motor low speed which he blames on my house having "dirty power", though a check by the power company found no issues. I would NEVER buy another York furnace, I wish I still had my old "quiet" Lennox.

Date created: 2014-02-04 Name: Steve W.
Location: Bear, Delaware

"Don't choose York"
Just had the pressure switch replaced on my unit last Wednesday. (I always have a spare!) This is the second time in three years. The house is only 6 years old. The compressor fan blade had to be replaced over the summer, too. That took three tries before a balanced blade was shipped from York. Never again!!!

Date created: 2014-01-27 Name: Matt Robinon
Location: Ontario

I have the same switch problem once a month for the last two winters. Don't buy a York. Garbage on all levels.

Date created: 2014-01-16 Name: John Wilson
Location: Henrico VA

"Unnecessary complete assembly replacement"
The York Affinity 9.t Series is a natural gas furnace that is relatively efficient and has worked well for us. However, the squirrel cage inducer blower wheel has broken twice in the last five years. This is about a $20 part; however, the service company, Delta Temp, claims that they cannot just replace the wheel but are required to replace the entire inducer assembly which costs $440. The resulting bill of $705 seems excessive to replace a one small part. If the York company policy is to require complete assembly replacement even when only a single part is defective, then potential York customers should be aware that repairs could cost more than necessary. Unfortunately, during the winter one does not have the option to shop around for parts while the furnace is down. -John Wilson in Henrico, Virginia.

Date created: 2013-12-05 Name: Molly
Location: Upstate, NY

"York Diamond Horrific Piece of Junk"
We've had this furnace now for 5 miserable years. It has two stages: Sweat and Freeze. It runs too long and waits too long before it kicks on again. This piece of junk sounds like a train is running through the house when it kicks on. The blower on this bundle of joy failed on Week Two during Season One. The dealer broke a switch installing the new one, said it wasn't important, placed a piece of tape over the hole where the switch was and never returned to replace it with a new one. Also, when they installed this piece of crap, they left a 3/4" opening to the outside along the perimeter of the pipe that loudly and often blows steam outside my kitchen window. I had to pay someone to insulate around the opening, through which I could see daylight while every rodent in the county tried to lay claim to my basement. The vent on this so-called furnace is also not sufficient enough to throw any decent heat into the basement area where it is installed. The furnace broke down in years One, Two and Three. One of those years we had to put up with the thing blowing cold air. We had what I can only call a miraculous reprieve on Year 4, when we only had to suffer the usual discomfort of the Two Stages known as Sweat and Freeze. It hasn't broken down this year yet. But then it's only December. It also appears that no one can get parts for this piece of junk except, of course a York dealer, who can charge whatever he wants to come out and tell you that your crappy furnace is really great and you should appreciate it. I hate my furnace with every fiber of my being and we haven't had a comfortable winter day in this home since the day we were conned into installing this princely-priced junk heap. I am currently arranging to have it yanked from my home and placed into a friend's rental property so that I can install a real furnace into my home and be comfortable again. I may not know diddly about furnaces, but I know when I've got one that's not doing the job. The 30 year-old furnace this shambles replaced? I would give anything to have it back. It did everything this York doesn't do. Like, for example, you know, heat our home properly.

Date created: 2013-10-29 Name: M E Gomez
Location: Fremont, Ca

"Nearly 20 Years"
For the second time in a year, I have had to contact a company to work on my York. I have no clue what model or series it is, but it has worked fine till last year that started acting up. Nearly 20 years it has provided flawless heating to my house. It is in the attic and never had any duct cleaned, I do the filter, that it is. I'm about to replace it and most likely will be another York. I'm a very happy customer with the York product. I am not in any form or shape affiliated nor do I a get a break for writing this review.

Date created: 2013-10-28 Name: D. Maychszak
Location: Elgin, IL

"Igniters"
Although I am quite happy with my furnace, the igniters stink. They go out every year and are very difficult to obtain. HVAC suppliers do not want to sell to the homeowner who may be savvy enough to do their own installation. I did find a place online that sells high quality 3-year igniters - www.ignitersource.com - with whom I've been very satisfied. Allow 2 to 3 weeks for delivery.

Date created: 2013-10-21 Name: Sandra B.
Location: Toronto Canada

"It worked up to the end"
We bought a house with its original york furnace and it's already 25year old. We are going to replace it with another York furnace. All brands have good and bad points -- it's a matter of who installs it and as a homeowner how you care for your furnace.