Consumer Reviews of TRANE furnaces

Read more about TRANE furnaces

Date created: 2010-11-01 Name: Matthew Thomas
Location: Champagne, IL

"Good 15+ Years Ago... Now, seems like junk."
I too, had a Trane many years ago, and the product was very good. However, the more recent products coming out are not good. People rant and rave about good products that they have had for 20 years. They are correct - their 20 year old Trane products are great. The problem is, the NEWER Trane products coming out are complete garbage. I believe Trane has outsourced their product and tried to replace parts with cheap foreign parts that are not trustworthy. They have found "cheaper" components elsewhere and have now chosen to use these in their manufacturing process. It is unfortunate, as they WERE a great brand, however now, they have managed to sell people on a GLORIOUS name - which no longer applies. Unfortunately, they have done what many other companies have done - ride on a good name and a good history. It is unfortunate, as I'm sure the Trane family is turning in their graves to see what has become of their familiy's ORIGINAL dedication to high quality and prestige. While I cannot personally speak about American Standard, be CAUTIOUS as the American Standard product is the same thing. Both products are assembled on the same manufacturing line and are the identical product.

Date created: 2010-09-10 Name: Mil Fenske
Location: Knoxville, TN

"You Can't Stop a Trane"
We've had our TRANE for over 15 years. It has always operated perfectly. We will replace it with another TRANE.

Date created: 2010-08-23 Name: HVAC guy

"Allan Colvin is correct!"
Look. Regardless of the brand name of the product, all the dissatisfied reviews I have read below, for the exception of the circuit board scenario, is installer related. Sure we'd all love to have a manufacturer responsible for overseeing the installation of every job and provide some level of quality assurance, but the fact of the matter is...that is impossible. As an HVAC consultant, I can safely say that every HVAC manufacturer has some sort of quality assurance practice in place for their dealers. Trane, I know, uses a sophisticated survey scoring method to obtain customer feedback on all their comfort specialist installers. The information in these surveys is used as a valuable tool, by the installing contractor to review and address any issues with their customers. This is really good stuff, but beyond that, I don't know of any manufacturer of any product I have ever installed in my home, do anything more....

Date created: 2010-08-14 Name: Terry
Location: mn.

""Got Taken"
Got screwed over!

Date created: 2010-08-08 Name: Unhappy Customer

"XV95 + 16i"
Replaced a 13 year old Rheem with this in 2007. The system has failed 3 times since: coil leaked freon and needed replacement, blown fuse on circuit board, circuit board failure. This is a Trane problem, not an installation issue. It's a good thing it has a 10-year warranty because I'm sure I'll need every single year. "It's Hard to Stop a Trane?" - mine makes all stops!

Date created: 2010-08-02 Name: Allen Colvin

"Installer error !!!!!!"
It upsets me to read these terrible reviews on a product I have been installing for years and never had a call back (ever). The biggest situation I see in these reviews are performance and leaks. The performance side is once again a designers error in the heating and cooling load of your home. All you people who have a system that consumes too much energy or does not cool your home or heat it for that matter needs to really look at the system the furnace or ac system is attached to. Yes, you need to seal your ducts and if they are in an attic space you better be r-8 ducting and the cold air return better be sealed 100% or you can get a reduction of performance 50% or greater. All you need is a 15% leak in your return. The condensate leaks are caused by poor installers and also the internal heat exchanger can leak but I have never had one do it. I agree the circuit board is in a bad position but I have never had a leak problem and never changed out a board in a Trane. Trane is a product and if it is not working right, you really need to understand the complexity of the system it is attached to and just because you paid top dollar for an install doesn't mean you got what you needed. Also, a 2 ton A/C system on a 1200 sq/ft home sounds ok but he didn't state the insulation value in his attic or the age of his ducting or if he lives in Arizona. I have put 60k furnaces in 3200 sq/ft homes and they love it, get an energy audit, find out the condition of your ducting with a duct blaster, air seal your home to .35 ach and insulate, insulate, insulate. Get a performance contractor who know his stuff to evaluate the situation. The only furnace I will not install is a York. I like my clients but I do not want to see them monthly. Do not bash the product. It is the installers/ start-up techs.

Date created: 2010-07-24 Name: George P.

"Thanks for the warnings!"
I need a new a/c because it went out and need to replace since the one I have is 31 years old but from reading all the negative feed backs, I won't be buying a Trane! For those who say that the troubles they are having is because it was due to poor installation or poor ducts, is bull! Maybe one or two complaints but not when you have all this complaints!

Date created: 2010-06-25 Name: E. Alber

"Helping a neigbor, not a good idea"
Not only do we air condition the house but we air condition the garage! Our energy savings unit cost us way over what our 12 year old unit did. The warranty is worth nothing. The installer, Mike Hammer from Martinez has walked away and will no longer service our unit. It continues to freeze up when turned on. We took his advice when selling us the new system and went up a size and now it is too big for the house. He, of course wants to blame it on the duct system. The last unit the "right size" worked for 12 years. We are stuck with a $7,000.00 unit that doesn't work and he will not make it good. We used Mike because he promised good service because he lived in our neighborhood. Never again.

Date created: 2010-06-22 Name: Chris

"DO NOT buy a Trane system!"
Our builder used Tranes in all our houses in our neighborhood and we are all having the same problems over and over. Problems with the ac and furnace. Trane sent a part and two days later broke again. Has nothing to do with maintenance or repairmen. We have all used different people and had the same problem. We've started having problems with it in the first year. We had a Goodman and American Standard. They had no problems. We have had nonestop problems with the circuit board and transformers. Do not buy a Trane.

Date created: 2010-06-17 Name: Inge Shmidt

"NOT AGREE WITH ALLEN COLVIN"
I do not agree with Allen Colvin, dated 03/30/2010. It is Trane's job to assure their installers are qualified. How those problems are related with duct system are also questionable.