Consumer Reviews of SEARS furnaces

Read more about SEARS furnaces

Date created: 2010-09-20 Name: MJ
Location: Colorado

"Don't even waste your time talking to them"
In process of getting bids on a furnace. The Sears guys who came out didn't know the difference between manual J and Manual D - one for load calculation and one for ductwork design. told me J replaced manual D now. They spent most of the time with a high pressure sales pitch on the Sears company to go with as an installer because they've been in business so long.Told me I needed a 80,000 BTU furnace and I have 819 sq. ft. Way more than what other contractors are proposing. I finally got them out the door when another contractor showed up to meet with me. They later dropped off a bid which did not break down the new ductwork that had to be replaced and no info on the type of furnaces. Don't even think about calling them to do a furnace replacement.

Date created: 2010-01-05 Name: Mary Pat

"New "Quiet" Furnace Very Loud"
The Sears salesman sold me a top of the line Sears furnace. When I went to have the chimney rebuilt soon after, I was told by two bidders on the project that the vent to the chimney and the liner were not to code. In addition, the furnace is so loud that it wakes me up in the middle of the night when it goes into the second stage. When I called Sears about the first problem, they said they couldn't come out due to the snow. It hasn't snowed in several days and I still haven't heard from them.

Date created: 2009-12-21 Name: Paula

"Terrible Service ! Poor product"
I had this furnace for just over one year and the inducer motor has failed. Of course, it is out of warranty. Thank goodness, I purchased an extended warranty. I found out that if you don't have a "Sears service tech" in your area, you have to pay them first and then Sears reimburses you. That is nonsense. Their customer service on the phone is horrible! I have called for the last 3 days and each time have been on hold for over an hour. My advice, is to NEVER buy a Sears furnace or their extended protection plan EVER!

Date created: 2009-12-07 Name: C. Bodmore

"SEARS Warranty"
Stay away! Their service sucks. Our furnace died last Thursday. After numerous phone calls and promised times that a service technician would show up, it took 3 days for someone to come. The only return call that we got was from a Sales Rep trying to sell us a new furnace. Sears is using a call center who does not know what they are doing. I will NEVER buy another Sears product again.

Date created: 2009-10-25 Name: Douglas Tiede

"Sears = junk"
After looking around we called Sears because we thought we could trust them. Sears came out and installed a complete new boiler system for us. The next day the system leaked in about 25 places. We called and after a lot of run around they said it would be 5 days before they could get back out. They came out and re-did all their joints. The techs were going to leave when we checked the system over ourselves and saw another 5 leaks. They fixed these and they were packing up when I asked if they were going to bleed the air out of the closed loop boiler system. They left. we went to use the furance and noticed they never hooked the electric back up to the furance. We called immediately and were hung up on 3 times. Finally we got through and they said it would be a day or two before they could get someone out. Only to be plagued by faulty electrical board problems on the "new" boiler system. It took them forever to get the parts and to get back to replace the board. This "electrical board" had to be replaced 3 times in the middle of winter with us waiting 3-7 days each time with no heat in winter in Wisconsin. We are talking -14 to 20 degrees A month later we had no heat in our upstairs bedrooms. ( remember heat raises )The system had so many air problems and bleeding wasn't helping. Sears was called 12 more times and they never sent a tech out to correct it. Finally a local heating company fixed it for us at our expense. A year later we noticed that the pressure tank was leaking. We called Sears, their "Nation Wide Service 800 number " to find out that they do not have weekend service for emergency situations. they are only 9-5 M-F.. Sears is the last place to go for heating and cooling!!! Through out all of this we were caring for our baby who had major health problems and sears seemed to not care that the 5 day wait or longer, that they put us through allowed the temp in our house to drop to to health concern levels in the middle of winter. This happened not just once but many times over the year. We were new to the area and knew no one. Finally we stayed at a hotel for our baby's life.. My mother retired from Sears, I use to work for Sears. Sears is a name that I grew up with and respected. We always shopped at Sears.. This is where the old saying " America Shops at Sears" came from.. Sears is not the Sears of yester-year. Save yourself alot of problems, find a local Heating and Cooling contractor and go with them. Sears is truly a let down and at a HUGE COST! It could have cost us the life of our baby. I will never shop at Sears again. By the way the bad boiler system and all of its problems continues and we are now in year 2..

Date created: 2009-09-25 Name: Marjorie Strycharz

"warranty"
I bought a heating and cooling sytem from Sears along with a 5 year Master Protection Agreement. Now they are saying it only covers the air conditioner not the furnace. It was all one contract and does not specify one or the other.

Date created: 2009-01-16 Name: Darryl Louie
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

"Sears Furnace estimate"
The Sears salesman tried to sell me an $800 liner for my chimney to go along with the 95% high efficiency furnace. As you may or may not know, since there is very little heat left in the exhaust of a high efficiency furnace, the exhaust can be simply and cheaply plumbed horizontally to outside of the house. It doesn't need to go up this expensive chimney liner. I'll never deal with Sears again. Simply put, I don't trust them.

Date created: 2008-09-19 Name: Anderson
Location: Tumwater, WA

"High Pressure"
I had Sears come out to my house to give me a bid on a new furnace system. And they were very high pressure sales. At the end I asked them to leave.

Date created: 2006-12-29 Name: j. dragotto
Location: ilion, ny

A major part on our 3yr. old kenmore furnace ceased to function on a Thursday. after many calls to reach someone, we were told no service was available for 6 more days. Another call to them did get results and someone came the next day. The repair person was told by us what part was needed (we know because we called a local repair shop to come over---quick response). Sears came the next day w/out the part-still have to wait the 6 days. So much for their "emergency service" they advertise.