Consumer Reviews of RUUD furnaces

Read more about RUUD furnaces

Date created: 2010-01-18 Name: El Koelder

"Ruud Furnace"
From the time this furnace has been installed, I have had almost an annual problem with it. It seems that it doesn't seem to want to fire up (heat). It has been an unpleasant battle to have a service call and then the thing decided to work while the service person is hear and then it will work for a while. However, I can be assured that the next heating period, it will require some type of maintenance. It is now to the point that I'm seriously thinking of replacing the unit and you can only imagine that it will not be with another Ruud. In fact, I may just place it in my lawn for all to see just how good it looks but needed to bereplaced because of failure to perform.

Date created: 2010-01-16 Name: A Tucker

"Great Furnace"
Love this furnace. Easy to change filters and no maintenance. The thermostat is awesome. Highly recommend this furnace to anyone needing to replace their old one.

Date created: 2010-01-12 Name: Jim Clark

"ruud service"
The biggest problem with the furnaces acting up, it usually pertains to the installation. A couple of things you can do is take the side plug out to let the furnace recieve more combustion air. Alot of the problems with the pressure switches is water backing up in them and inadequate venting. If your furnace is vented with 2" pvc and has alot of turns, it most likely will act up. Bigger venting allows more air in and more air out, the shortest distance possible is something we always try to achieve, they seem to have less problems with shorter distances and bigger vent pipes. Most likely if its acting up a lot, something wasn't done right from the get go.

Date created: 2010-01-06 Name: S. King

"Ruud Modulating Furnace"
We love our Ruud Modulating Furnace! I would recommend this furnace to anyone! When properly installed (because of it's high technology, it does require special training). It is the best furnace out there. Even won Consumer Digest top honors! We replaced our 25 year old Ruud with a Ruud. The best thing you can do for your return on investment is have your unit maintained each and every year! We did this on our older furnace and only replaced due to tax credits and consumer rebates that were being offered at the time. My last gas bill was only $40. Yes, $40!!! One thing our HVAC tech told us is to make sure you run your fan constantly; this allows constant air flow throughout your home. And no, my electric bills are not out of line. Love the Ruud products and will continue to purchase them!

Date created: 2009-12-23 Name: T. Freeze

"DO NOT BUY A RUDD FURNACE"
My grandparents live in a 900 sq foot house that was heated by oil for many years. In the late 1980s, they finally had natural gas installed and had the most well respected HVAC contractor in our county install a Ruud gas pack. They had this furnace for about 14 years and in that time had to have the heat exchanger replaced 3 times at over $1000 parts and labor each time. The last time the furnace went out in November 2001, the heat exchanger had been replaced in February of the same year. The HVAC contractor was called each time that the heat exchanger was replaced and each time they checked the airflow and the ducts and they were not blocked in any way. My grandfather told them to replace the furnace because he and I felt that it was a waste of money to replace the heat exchanger again. We had a new Ruud gas pack installed in 2001 and all new ducts and returns because the code had changed and where we had the old furnace was too close to our property line now, (10 feet). This new furnace has never properly heated the house. It would come on, get the house hot as Hades and then turn off. Gas bill for a 900sq ft house that had no other gas appliances $600 plus a month. Needless to say, they blamed the house for not being insulated well enough, even though we have added insulation to our attic, had new Vinyl siding installed and had triple pane Vinyl windows installed. We turned the furnace on this October and it will not come on. Called service and they yet again found a cracked heat exchanger and a burned up control board. The heat exchanger had a 14-inch long crack that was 1/2 inch wide. I watched them take it out to make sure they were not feeding me a line of bull. They told me that Ruud had recalled all the heat exchangers due to a defect. The bad ones are aluminum and galvanized metal welded together and the replacement is stainless steel. They said the bad exchanger cracks at the weld seam. Never again will I buy RUUD. Four almost five heat exchangers since 1987 is enough for me. Stick with Trane.

Date created: 2009-12-11 Name: J.J.

"I HAVE PROBLEMS ALSO..!!"
Bought one of these units late 2003, in 2006 I started having problems. the first service tech that came out told the unit was on test mode (since installation) so unit ran all the time cycling through its test, they have been out 4 times in 2007,finally increasing the size of exhaust pipe and drilling another hole in the side of my house. ran ok for another year, now(dec 2009) their on they're way out to fix it again..they charged me for the first call and are now trying to charge me again.i'm ready to scrap this P.O.S. and look for a real furnace..i am not pleased with this,,i dont know who to blame, the installer or ruud...if you are looking at these units be clear on what the warranty is and everything it covers H.j limited in coralville iowa installed mine..find someone else to do yours..!!!

Date created: 2009-12-11 Name: C. Smisth

"Rudd Acheiver 90 plus"
This piece of junk has been a problem since day one. When it starts up there is a loud kaboom of exploding propane gas. The dealer installer has been here numerous times, but can't seem to get it fixed. I would never buy another Ruud.

Date created: 2009-12-06 Name: jeanot

"ruud??"
Got the furnace but in in 2006...most of replaced all the censors twice, should of seen the requests we got from servicemen...don't want to know what we paid in service calls, getting another furnace put in this friday and u can bet it won't be a ruud....imagine comin home after a weekend out at the cottage and the furnace is off..in winter...hmmmm my nieghbour owns his own heating company and he even won't come over anymore to check this furnace...time for a new one.....6 years????

Date created: 2009-11-30 Name: A. Hall

"RUUD Achiever 90"
Our ruud Achiever 90 did not work, after 4 years of use. One day the thermastat said it was calling heat, but the actual furnance did not click over to start heating. We noticed that the green light in the furnance was blinking twice and after we took off the panel, the sticker on the inside of the panel instructed us that the green light blinking twice meant that the pressure switch is "on". So after reading everyone's reviews of their ruud 90 we realized that the orange tube and the Draft intake motor inlet may need to be cleaned out. Sure enough we noticed that there were dust bunnies in the Draft intake motor inlet. I guess that was the problem, because now the furnace is working! THanks to all for the helpful posts.

Date created: 2009-11-30 Name: Deborah Johnson

"Cold and colder"
Ruud furnace owner, gets service every year since I had it. The furnace blows cold air, sometimes it blows heat but mostly cold air, Not a central air unit just a furnace I have had so many repair men over to fix the problem, anf I am colder.The model is a Ruud Silhouette,