Comparing over 45,000 air conditioners, boilers, furnaces and heat pumps

Read more about Rheem furnaces

Date created: 2010-12-01 Name: T. Reed
Location: Jeffersonville, IN

"Another problem!"
I've had the circuit board and igniter replaced within the last 3 years and now I am going to have to do it again. Very unhappy with the quality of this furnace.

Date created: 2010-11-19 Name: D Webber
Location: Toronto ON

"Rheem 95% DC VARIABLE"
We bought Rheem furnace last year from one of dealer. It works perfect, and saving my money compare to my old 30 years furnace.

Date created: 2010-11-14 Name: B. Lorenz
Location: Muskegon, Mi 49441

"Furnace mayhem"
I have 2 Rheem furnaces in my home and it is amazing the difference between the two. The newest one has had a new ignitor every year since I got this piece of crap. The heat that comes from it is nil compared to the other one. The bad part is, they are both the same exact furnace.

Date created: 2010-11-09 Name: C Milliron
Location: Pa

"Gets the Boot"
Two loud , always fixing finally its getting the boot had eought

Date created: 2010-10-22 Name: Wendy
Location: Uniontown Oh

"Never Buy A Rheem!"
Have a Rheem 2-step that is only 7 yr old. It replaced our furnace that was 25 yr old, & if it were up to me, we would have already replaced this one! It has been Constant trouble since day one.Many mornings we have woken up to a freezing cold house. Though some of those times, it just was the sensor needed cleaned off. But that happens so frequently I wonder why they made the doggone thing SO sensitive! & it's very hard to get to in order to clean it. I think we have had at least 1 repair every yr. The recent repair job we had, the control panel & motor blew costing us over $1000! Since we had already put at least $650 into this furn., I tried to talk my hubby into just buying a new 1 & counting our losses, but he wouldn't agree to that. So, I guess we'll see how many mo till our next repair!

Date created: 2010-09-10 Name: J Goeke
Location: Union Springs, NY

"high efficiency"
3 years ago I replaced a 25 year old unit with 82% efficiency with a Rheem. LP bills went down so much I had to get smaller tanks to keep the propane people happy. The unit runs clean. No trouble. The fan is more powerful that the one in the old system and is single speed so I didn't expect it would be quiet. It does warm the house right up. So far so good. I agree that the quality of the installer makes a huge difference.

Date created: 2010-09-09 Name: A. Reinsch

"Very good furnace"
I have a Rheem furnace. It is so much more quite than my old furnace I just don't even know it is running. I believe this may be the best furnace ever. The company that installed it has called to see how everything is going. It has been five years without a miss. Thanks Rheem.

Date created: 2010-09-01 Name: R Boyce
Location: CROGHAN, NY

"Rebate ripoff"
I recently purchased a new 95% high efficiency Rheem furnace which is listed as having a $200 rebate. The problem I'm having is that Rheem will not honor the rebate because it was not purchased from one of their authorized dealers. I live more than 75 miles from the nearest qualified dealer and it is thus unrealistic to have had them install and then service the furnace. I have tried to deal with the Rheem representatives to no avail.Class action?

Date created: 2010-07-27 Name: Hubert

"installed in 1997 - Criterion 2"
Have never had to call Rheem. Local dealer/installer has been great. Called them after a few years when unit failed to heat. They explained it was either the ignitor or flame sensor and how to diagnose and fix myself if I wanted to. Too easy to do myself and not worth the service call expense. Every 2-3 years, the flame sensor needs to have carbon wiped off with a rag (1 screw to remove). Replaced the ignitor once at 8-9 years old. Pretty sure the part was under $50 from dealer. Installed myself in a few minutes. Anyone could do it with a flashlight and screwdriver. I understand life expectancy on any modern furnace is 15-25 years. Furnace is fine today, but I'm replacing this week with a new one along with a heat pump because 31 year old a/c unit just died. If I add a new furnace to the deal you taxpayers give me $1500 back thanks to Obama's economic stimulus plan. I also get $900 in rebates from Rheem and Elec Co. Can't beat that. Whatever you buy, find a reputable installer!!!

Date created: 2010-07-11 Name: Scott

"I got Rheemed"
Bought a house that was 7 years old. Within a week, the Rheem furnace quit working on a Friday night. I thought it was because my wife did not know how to set the programmable thermostat in our new house. The problem was with the furnace itself. I called my father, who is an HVAC repairman. He walked me through a troubleshooting procedure and we managed to identify a bad hot surface ignitor. After one cold night, I found one locally the next day, and payed dearly for it. Installed it myself and was back in business. A year later, the costly replacement part failed again in the exact same spot. This time, I bought two so I have a spare (and got them at a big discount this time). Neighbors have had the exact same problem and have had repair bills close to $400 for this. Did I mention that I am on my third circuit board? The first time the board went out, I was out of town. Apparently, the ac condenser kept running while the rest of the air handler quit. As a result, the compressor overheated and was destroyed. So a small circuit board took out my whole ac unit. I am going to replace this furnace and ac before it fails again.