Comparing over 45,000 air conditioners, boilers, furnaces and heat pumps

Consumer Reviews of Rheem furnaces

Read more about Rheem furnaces

Date created: 2013-11-07 Name: J Lee
Location: E Windsor, NJ

"35+ Years Performance on Same Ole Furnace"
I had an old olive green Rheem furnace unit that came with house when house was new construction back in the 70's, and it recently retired after 35+ years of great warm service. In fact at the time of retirement, the furnace mechanicals were all working, but the metal cabinet housing finally rusted beyond repair. What a long lasting unit that was set it and forget it, leave it alone!!!! On a side note, also have a Rheem water heater unit, is about 10+ years old and just as good as day one. Would buy again??? Oh yeah!!

Date created: 2013-09-25 Name: Jack McGowan
Location: Anaheim, CA

"58 Years Old!!!"
My parents bought their house in 1978. The house itself was built in 1955 and had a Rheem natural gas furnace installed in its construction. Well, they just got around to replacing the furnace a few days ago (with another Rheem furnace) and that original furnace from 1955 was still running right up till the moment they replaced it! 58 years of dependable service, now that's what I call quality! Certainly, never thought a furnace would last 58 years! But then again, I guess it did, didn't it?

Date created: 2013-09-19 Name: Alejandro
Location: Central New Jersey

"The Worst"
Had a Rheem furnace/AC system installed for my condominium and it has the poorest efficiency and noisier operation I've ever seen. The noise is unbearable. Avoid this brand at all.

Date created: 2013-06-11 Name: M Perino
Location: Illinois

"Pretty Darn Good Furnace"
The heat exchanged developed a leak after about 8 years and the company replaced it. It is still running good after 28 years. Other than putting in a new ignitor every few years, I haven't had any problems with it.

Date created: 2013-04-10 Name: larry ploghoft
Location: Blaine Wa.

"Rheem Furnace"
Have had furnace for 3 years and has been worked on 4 times. Technician could never fix problem and rheem was no help.

Date created: 2012-10-16 Name: marty f
Location: airmont NY

"good furnace"
I bought a Rheem furnace about 6 years ago. After a few years the furnace would start up and then shut down. Called a "reputable" repairman who said my damper motor was bad and replaced it for close to $300. A few years later the same problem occurred. I went on to the internet and postings suggested it was the sensor. I then went on to you tube and someone posted a video on how to fix it. All you do is sand the sensor wire with fine sand paper to remove the carbon deposit. It now works great. Crooked repairman.

Date created: 2012-06-07 Name: N Breen
Location: Rhode Island

"Don't buy"
I just purchased a Rheem "Super Quiet 80" for my townhouse. It is so loud it sounds like a jet engine. Saw the same complaints on another site. Rheem just didn't care and so me, like many others, are stuck with this garbage product. So sad that companies advertise falsely and don't stand behind their own product. Buy something else.

Date created: 2011-11-17 Name: suzanne
Location: Milwaukee, WI

"Horrible."
It's once again a balmy 58 degrees in my house. I have had this stupid Rheem furnace for 6 years, and it only worked well the first month. I've had the installers out multiple times each year, and nothing. The damn thing just works when it feels like it -- it starts up, the fan goes, the pilot light fires up, and then the actual furnace part decides to shut down. horrible. I think it's ridiculous that a freaking $2500+ furnace hasn't even lasted this long. Again, I say - HORRIBLE.

Date created: 2011-10-31 Name: Carolina Bob
Location: Upstate SC

"You CAN stop a Rheem"
Unit purchased 12/01 and about a year after warranty expired, pressure switch began to malfunction. Installer thought it might be due to water back-up from condensation line and cleaned it twice. Third time I told him to replace the switch. This was about four or less years ago. Now the same thing is happening again. Waiting on installer to check it out, but probably the same thing. Ironically, he had just checked the system two weeks ago. Have a Tempstar gas-pack for another section of house that is 18 years and never had any problems whatsoever with it.

Date created: 2011-06-16 Location: Detroit, MI

"Ian King Furnace Review"
I have had this furnace in my home since we moved into it in 1998. What I like about the furnace is that even though it is an older model, it was definitely built to last as I have not had a single problem with it in the whole 13 years of living in my home. It keeps my home very warm. I dislike the fact that we use more gas than newer furnace models do with it being older, but even that isn't so bad because I know a newer model wouldn't last nearly as long without giving me problems. As I stated above, it has never needed to be repaired or replaced. I would definitely recommend this furnace to anyone who was shopping for furnaces, but with it being an older model, I don't know how lucky they would be in acquiring one. However, I am very satisfied with mine and if given the chance I would buy again.