Consumer Reviews of Olsen furnaces

Read more about Olsen furnaces

Date created: 2010-11-16 Name: B. Cooke
Location: Orillia Ontario Canada

"A great unit"
I am currently in the midst of looking for a furnace to replace my Olsen. I have been in my house for 16 years and, over that time, have had NO trouble whatsoever with the Olsen Ultramax. However, the unit must be near 20 years old and a recent inspection by my serviceman indicates I need to get a new furnace. As I write this, I am getting a week full of estimates from a variety of contractors for many brands of FAG furnaces. So far, I have two quotes, neither of them Olsen. This afternoon it hit me: why am I looking for some other brand when the Olsen has been so good to me? Later this week, a contractor who sells and installs Olsen will be here to give a quote. If he has what I need (2-stage, ECM fan motor, 95% or better AFUE, etc.) and the price is reasonable for all that I want and need, he will get my business. The experiences of other Olsen owners would be appreciated, especially in regard to the newer, 2-stage, etc., units.

Date created: 2010-06-01 Name: Sib

"18 years and going strong."
Maybe I am lucky, but I have never had a problem with this furnace. Nothing, never a service call other than routine maintenance. Never changed a single part, still going strong, but am changing it out this year on time. I have no desire to freeze to death if it finally decides to kick the bucket in the middle of winter.

Date created: 2009-11-26 Name: g. groulx

"Olsen mid range"
Through the years I've seen 3 igniters go, a control module for the blower and just recently the vent blower and needed a complete cleaning due to the soot build-up in the furnace.....not satisfied whatsoever.

Date created: 2009-11-10 Name: gail

"Duomatic Olsen Furnace"
This furnace is a High Efficiency one installed about 25 years ago. I have had no real problems with it although I do remember one repair about 10 years ago. I think it is a good furnace although I admit it does tend to come on and off a lot. Probably because it is not a two stage. I am in the same position as other readers who would like to take advantage of the rebates beng offered but am not sure if the cost will be equal to the amount of money I might save. Perhaps it is better to stay with the older stuff as they say new equipment is not made like it was in the old days.

Date created: 2009-10-24 Name: Perry

"Olson furnace (fire)"
I have had this olson furnace for 15 years no problems at all just change the filter check the belt. This year we had a fire in our house (not related to furnace) after all was said and done the furnace remained, blackened but still worked flawlessly. The technician that checked it said it is in perfect condition, only due to the smell of smoke we had to replace it . Hope my new olsen is as good.

Date created: 2009-07-30 Name: Kim Machtemes

"39 yr old Airco"
My furnace is the original installed when the home was built in 1970. I was told, when I bought the house in August 2002, that the 'old girl' was still running well but could go at any time. It's still running (well)and I've done no maintenance to it whatsoever, except to have it inspected and the ducts cleaned. I was thinking of installing a newer more efficient one, but in looking at the costs and hearing stories of newer models not always working so well, I may just wait until this one just gives out. I just hope that's not during a severely cold snap in mid-winter.

Date created: 2009-03-29 Name: OLSEN DIVISION

"Greenhouse furnace"
Recently purchased 1999 olsen furnace to heat large greenhouse. Installed hourmeter on burner, runs far less than previous equipment. Very efficient unit!

Date created: 2009-02-19 Name: Kram Tenibor
Location: Ontario

"High Efficient Furnace"
Great furnace I wish I could meet the engineer who designed this. Easy to install and easy to service

Date created: 2009-02-16 Name: Chad
Location: Calgary, AB

"Old Airco"
My originally installed, with the house, furnace is still going strong mechanically, but I fear for efficiency etc. I'm finding it harder and harder to keep my house warm. Its a large bungalow with a walk-out basement and both floors are occupied by residents year-round. This is a one zone house!! As far as reliability goes, this thing has been top notch, mind you it runs lot but it works?? I've replaced only a fan motor in 29 years. Now, I want to replace the furnace with a newer(better?) model. I'm lacking comfort... im hot and i'm cold, repeatedly all winter long. Can someone make a recommendation as to what I should do?

Date created: 2008-12-05 Name: S. Dietrich
Location: Ohio

"S. Dietrich"
I have never liked this furnace, we were told it is very efficient. All I can say it runs an awful lot,it comes on for about 30 sec. and turns off then on again for a few minutes, then off, it is very annoying, and my house is cold all winter even when I have it set on 72 degrees. The air coming from the registers is cool, and I can't see how that would every make your house comfortable. The motor won't shut off a lot of times, so we have to hit it on the side to make it shut off or come on. I tried to get a replacement motor, but was told we have to go through a licensed contractor to get one. My sons are perfectly able to install a new motor. So I guess I will have to put out a bundle of money to replace it. Never will by another Olsen.