Comparing over 45,000 air conditioners, boilers, furnaces and heat pumps

Read more about KENMORE furnaces

Date created: 2013-11-06 Name: F. McClemens
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

"Heat Exchanger"
Model # NTGM075EGA3 absolutely not recommended, installed 03/20/1999. March 2010-heat exchanger cracked, replaced under warranty. Labor approximately $800.00. December 2010-new heat exchanger cracked, part under warranty. Labor not warrantied, not even 9 months. November 2012-holes in heat exchanger, decided to replace with another brand. Carbon monoxide escaping, shutting the furnace down. Would never recommend this furnace. 4 heat exchangers in 13 years, too many services. Forget about it.

Date created: 2013-09-20 Name: mattya
Location: Long Island, NY

"2002 2-Stage Gas Furnace is a Lemon, Sears Customer Service and Technicians are Incompetent"
My wife called Sears customer service and advised them that our thermostat had a blank screen. The technician came without a thermostat and said we are not covered for a thermostat replacement and to call an electrician because Sears is too expensive. He left us without heat and/or A/C plus didn't even say what Sears would charge to install a new thermostat. He gave us no receipt. It is now a few days later and we still have no heat or A/C and a broken thermostat. Sears put the burden on us-their customers, to find an electrician. I would do it myself but I am not very handy at all. This is how Sears treats their customers with a Sears Maintenance Plan? This type of situation has occurred frequently since I bought the furnace and air conditioning units back in the year 2002. No wonder why Sears has such a bad reputation and from what I heard is close to going out of business. I will never shop at Sears again and I only wish I had the money to get rid of this piece of garbage furnace that has been nothing but trouble since I bought it in 2002. I have all the documentation for the past 11 years regarding what a lemon this furnace is. That none of their technicians could figure out what was wrong with it. Sears stated that there was something wrong with my home's electrical wiring. I had to have my own electricians check it to see what was wrong with it. After checking the wiring, my electricians advised that nothing was wrong. The problem is the furnace is a lemon and was never installed properly. Sears technicians had to replace every part inside the furnace. During the past 11 years, we had to call the home office in Illinois to have Sears purchase electric heaters so we wouldn't freeze to death. This type of situation has occurred frequently during the past 11 years. We bought the Sears Maintenance Protection Plan which expires in February 2015. I wish we hadn'T.

Date created: 2013-02-13 Name: Dave V.
Location: Owatonna, MN

"Double a competitors quote"
After 2 hour sales pitch, I was floored by the quote given for a furnace and ac replacement. A quote from a local Carrier authorized dealer was $6k for a 65,000 btu furnace with variable speed blower motor and a 2 ton infinity ac unit, including installation. The Sears quote was for the exact same equipment, just Kenmore branded, and came in a little under $12k. Lesson learned... Shop around.

Date created: 2013-01-03 Name: CLP
Location: Troy, NY

"Sears is a joke"
If you need your furnace repaired Sears sucks. I called a local heating place and they came and told me what it needed. Sears would not sell them the part. The would only send a repair person who I would have to pay another diagnostic fee to and that person would replace the part. Mind you, it is 20 degrees outside and they can't send a person for 5 days. I asked them what my choice was - to freeze to death? And basically they said yes. So I did some research and found the part online from a different seller and it got here 2 days later and I replaced it myself. Sears sucks and I will never buy another furnace from them.

Date created: 2012-12-05 Name: Crystal Payne
Location: Alanreed, TX

"Save yourself the trouble!!!"
Sears salesman came out to our house, did an evaluation and sold us a Propane furnace and Electric ac unit and scheduled an installation time. The contractors that were sent left (2) 2 ft x 1 ft holes where old return vents were, cut registers in wrong rooms, and stepped through the ceiling. Within 2 weeks we were having problems. We found a huge water stain underneath where the furnace/blower was up in the attic 4 different times and the ac not turning on at all. This has been going on/off for last 6 months. The other night we came home and the AC/furnace not working again. The contractors came back out and said that the furnace was set up for natural gas and not propane and it burnt out a switch and "shut off" the whole system. They converted it to propane and its working for the moment. The contractors say that Sears didn't tell them that we were on propane. We had been using the furnace on the wrong fuel source for over 6 months! In the 6 months we've had the system there have been over 9 problems and I've had to call them over 25 times.They put out entire family and home at risk with installing the furnace for the wrong fuel type. The safeties that are in the furnace didn't stop it from being used. This is a major fire hazard and we are lucky our house and family wasn't injured and damaged. In the 6 months we've had the system we have had problems every single month! After paying that much for something I had expected better quality and service and not constant inconveniences and frustrations for the last 6 months. I don't feel they advertised their services correctly or their product. I spent $12K for something that I had expected to last and work for years, and it hasn't even worked properly for 1 month without issues.

Date created: 2012-09-23 Name: ron h
Location: fox river grove, il

"Best model ever"
Had Sears deliver 60,000 btu electronic unit in 1981... Since that time I have had it cleaned every 3-4 years and only problem was service tech broke igniter while cleaning. I installed myself with duct done by pro per my spec.. All parts original and best appliance I have ever bought. Need to replace after 30 years and am very scared.

Date created: 2011-06-08 Name: John

"Kenmore = Lemons"
Wow did I make a mistake...replaced a 20yr old Trane with Kenmore. The Trane was fine but wanted a more efficient model due to energy costs, thinking I would save money. Wrong. After 6 months the problems started, blower started going bad, ignitor issue, circuit board failed, coolant leaked, compressor went bad .. it just goes on and on. After the first few repairs, Sears started being much less accomodating. Now they say warranty is out....how can that be! Kenmore are lemons, do it right the foirst time - spend the extra money for a Trane or other good brand. Kenmore's are cheap

Date created: 2011-03-23 Name: DDiatta
Location: Colorado

"Very Unhappy with Sears- DONE with Sears"
We got a new Kenmore furnace from Sears in Oct 2010 and it is the last item we buy from them. Response to our problems with the furnace was nil until we filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau - even that did not ignite any rush to help. It took a full 2 months for Sears to say all was OK in their view and too bad! The blower does not produce much air flow to heat the house, however it makes so much noise that when it comes on, we must turn up the tv ! The furnace does NOT heat the house. They installed a smaller furnace than the one they removed. I had questioned this from the beginning; no other company gave such a bid. Their promise to make it right has been empty. The installers have tweaked all they can; I deduct that this is a bad product. Our last from Sears.

Date created: 2010-11-08 Name: Jill Brown
Location: Robinson, IL

"HORRIBLE experience. HORRIBLE Service. WILL NEVER do business again."
In October of 2009, I purchased an HVAC (Furnace and A/C Unit) for my home. My cost was about $7,900. The day after the furnace was installed, it quit working. Fast forward to June 2010. My A/C sounds like a jet engine taking off when it starts and landing when it shuts off. I called Sears every week to try to have someone come look at it. It's NOVEMBER and I still have not seen a repair man. In early August, we noticed floors around the unit were warping. Come to find out, the contractors had failed to install a drain line to drain the condensation....all of the condensation was leaking into my floors. I'm currently in the process of having my ENTIRE living room (vintage oak hardwood) torn up and replaced, subfloor and all. My main bathroom and both of my bedrooms will be getting new carpet and new subfloors as well. My furnace is literally sinking....While Sears' insurance company is working with me to cover the repairs, not once has Sears offered to do ANYTHING for my inconvenience. I will be out of my home for 3 weeks or more and they haven't even said sorry. On top of all of that, my furnace still sounds like a jet engine. Turns on almost immediately after turning off, only to shut down again 30 seconds later. And still no repair man....... Do not EVER deal with Sears. I wish I had spent my 8k elsewhere. I had thought about going through Sears for new siding, but that is NOT going to happen.

Date created: 2009-12-10 Name: J.Mcgan

"kenmore furnace is a piece of crap"
We bought a heat and air package from sears in may of 2007 had it installed in july of 2007,havent had any problems with the air,but the furnace is a piece of crap.Went to turn on for the first time wouldnt work,they said it was are fault we need a digital thermostat so we got one but still wouldnt work,they repair it and then again in dec of 2007 it kept coming on and off and was blowing out cold air had it fix again and then in april of 2008 it stop working again they fix it again and you guess it,Its broke again now its dec of 2009 and it will be 2 weeks before a repair person can come....so I guess I'm saying don"t buy a kenmore furnace