Consumer Reviews of Heat Transfer Products furnaces

Read more about Heat Transfer Products furnaces

Date created: 2009-11-07 Name: T. Franey

"TF"
I purchased my unit from a very reputable hvac company 5 yrs. ago. This is my first major problem with the blower motor going out. Is costing me about a $1000 to repair (parts and labor). The hvac owner says this is the first motor failure he has had. He admitted he had one other fan failure that was an installation error. My unit showed an f13 failure when the motor went out. I am very concerned about the quality of this product after all I have read.

Date created: 2009-10-30 Name: Craig Dooge

"Munchkin Cautions"
This boiler was recommended and installed by a big Washington, D.C. company, jones and woods. do not hire them. Lots of problems because basically they had no idea what they were doing and lied to me about all the experience they have had installing these units, as evidenced by the elementary mistakes they made. Finally got the Munchkin rep. on a site visit and he confirmed that they had left out major components, like the secondary circulator pump on the supply side, as plainly specified in the install manual. Learned lots from the rep, who was great, both about improvements in the Rev. 2 version of this unit as well recommendations: this little baby puts out lots of water as condensate, which must be directed back into the unit by having the exhaust pipe tilted back into the house. Steams outside like a locomotive in cold weather. The condensate, however, is high acid and must be neutralized with a kit as over time it will eat through even a cast iron drain. Condensate outlet to floor drain important. Also be advised: Heat transfer products, the manufacturer, does not have a warranty registration and installation certification program, in spite of what they say in print and on their website. Appalling. Also, three electrical appliances necessary to operate affects energy cost savings, as does required annual cleaning of "combusion residue" from interior of unit.

Date created: 2009-07-02 Name: Kristin
Location: NE MN

"Munchkin and Peerless"
We have a Munchkin in one home and in the other the plumber put in a Peerless Pinacle because it "was the same" (now he says he was wrong and would "never put in a Peerless" Ugg. We chose the high efficiency to save on fuel. But our backup (thank GOD we had one) is a little propane fireplace with a blower - which is what our home relied on most of the winter when we were away. We were told by the most professional plumbing people not to go high efficiency but to go a step down and get a real reliable one. We didn't listen. The Peerless is a POS and we will probably replace it by Fall 09 with what I do not know. Whatever it is it has to be small - the whole system is in a closet. The Munchkin has worked well but it sounds like a tuba - really loud when it is operating at first. It's obnoxious and the steam that comes out is annoying out of both of them. This mistake was MY fault for choosing something I was warned not to choose. If you have an option of something with a warantee and a reliable installer and a company that answers the phone when you call about their product go with that instead. This is nonsense. You don't live in NE MN with a furnace that turns off. Oh and did I mention it? Our installer went bankrupt. Too much nonsense, every repair person disses the last one who tried, then his repair fails and the folks who send them out say "we'll send someone out to have a stab at it" for 600 bucks. Yeah. Dreadful things these.

Date created: 2009-06-16 Name: Munchkin owner

"Combusion air problems"
Munchkin boilers are well made and efficient, however, they’re very susceptible to contamination in the combustion air source. We live in a relatively dusty area and require service more frequently than you would expect. We replaced an old inefficient boiler expecting our cost to decrease significantly. What really happened is that we simply transferred the flow of money from the utility company to the boiler service company. Total cost of ownership must include the cost of servicing the boiler not just installation and utility expenses.

Date created: 2009-06-07 Name: H Masterson

"owner"
The furnace works good when it works. It won't run when the power goes using a large generator 8500 and I have had to replace the blower fan three times so far at a cost of $450 each time. I was told the generator would have to be grounded to work but it still won't work.

Date created: 2009-03-10 Name: D. Silvia

"Very Happy wiht Boiler"
I had one of these units install by a contractor who claims to be very knowlegable in heating. He sure is. I have not had one problem in 8 years. He has come back 4 times to do a "service" on the unit, he can look at the circuit board with his computer, and there has never been a fault code. I dont know what all you people are crying about. Maybe you have less than quality installers. I got to this web site because I had told a friend to put one in and he sent me here. I am just letting you all know my two cents worth. The product is only as good as the installer, I had a great one!!!!

Date created: 2009-02-25 Name: Bruce C.
Location: Billings, MT

"Munchkin 140M sucks big time"
My 4 year old 140m has to be totally replaced. This is a travesty. Don't buy a Munchkin!!!!

Date created: 2009-02-11 Name: Nic Nichols

"Horrible Unit- M80"
We had this installed a few years ago, and it was one of the worst investments I have ever made. The blower unit has failed every winter since I have had the system. I would not recommend this unit to anyone. They would not honor the warranty, and would shipped the part out two days after I ordered it last year. I am in the process today of installing the fourth blower unit.

Date created: 2008-12-29 Name: E. Corker
Location: Hailey, ID

"Munchkin--a real lemon"
I agree with these reviews--this furnace is junk. The contractor who built our home told us it was the Cadillac of furnaces but it has been a lemon--we have hundreds (thousands?) of dollars of repair bills to prove it. (After so many repairs we have gotten to know the repair guys pretty well and they say that our experience is typical and that the word is now out about what a terrible furnace this is, and almost no one is installing them in our area anymore.) As just one example of the constant headache that this furnace is, on many cold (but normal) winter nights it gets air in the lines and bangs and wakes up the whole household, including any guests, until we run downstairs to hit the emergency "off" switch. Then have to wait to turn it back on at which point it still bangs for a while, though more softly. a giant pain in the neck and wallet. Don't buy!!!

Date created: 2008-12-25 Name: Ron Zalewski
Location: Deerbrook, WI

"Munchkin Boiler-80 M"
This boiler was installed in our new home in the fall of 2001 during construction. Since then the boiler has failed four times, costing us over $1500 in "maintenance" as well as the inconvenience of being without heat for several days when the temperature was below zero. Two pressure switches have failed, and two blower motors. Talk about fearing traveling in winter for any extended period of time, I just can't do it without wondering whether I will return home to frozen pipes or a flooded mess! Munchkin service representatives did help my contractor a couple of times but obviously this unit has been a lemon that has let me holding the bag!