Consumer Reviews of Heat Transfer Products furnaces

Read more about Heat Transfer Products furnaces

Date created: 2011-01-27 Name: Saggy Pants Plumber
Location: Iowa

"Junk, Plain and simple"
I work for an HVAC company in Iowa. These things cause me constant headache. Even if they are "Properly installed" they will still break down. I have replace every component of this system, Swirl plate, combustion blower, board, heat exchanger, you name it. In total this year we have torn out 11 Munchkins and replaced with the Prestige Triangle Tube. And to be god honest, we have had a few Prestige's in for a few years and just recently had a call on it for other than low water pressure (plugged reducing valve)

Date created: 2010-11-30 Name: h. Johansen
Location: Seattle, WA

"owner"
This furnace has vibrated and sounded like a London Fog horn since Nelson heating/Everett WA installed. The Company came out and reprogrammed it.. Nelson has worked on it at least 8 times in the past very few years...it works for a while only to return to noise and vibrating... For almost 10,000 dollars it sure seems it ought top function properly

Date created: 2010-07-04 Name: Joe Moran
Location: Western Montana

"Munchkin Owner"
Within 6 months of installation, most of the components had to be replaced. Without sending anyone out to review the installation, the U.S.A. distributor out of Boston, Ma. supplied and paid for the replacement parts, but blamed the installer for the problems and refused to pay the labor costs to install the replacement parts. The labor costs at my expense were over $850. We have had 7 years trouble free service from this furnace until now 6/2010 when it refuses to ignite. We can't find anyone in Western Montana qualified and willing to fix it.

Date created: 2010-02-16 Name: D. Wessely
Location: Milwaukee, WI

"Sophistcated Simple System"
I am a Project Manager with a Senior Housing Company. We have 5 (yes five) Munchkin boilers in two of our buildings North of Milwaukee, WI. The reviews I've read all seem to say the same thing! You must hire a trained HVAC contract for the install. Our contractor was from the Madison area; only one who answered key questions properly. The other most important issue is "owners" must follow scheduled maintenance on complete system to keep boilers functioning at their optimum.

Date created: 2010-02-01 Name: Todd Weber

"Dont like them as an installer"
I am a "solo plumber". I have been installing high efficiency boilers for about 10 years and have had to do repairs on about 5 of them in that whole time. I agree with all of you that Munchkin is a terrible product, but you must also pick your installer of any high efficiency product very carefully. Also remember the size of the company does not matter. I am a one person company and the manufacturers call me from time to time to go repair their units. And if anyone wants my input, I swear by Triangle Tubes products with a 10 year parts and labor warranty for certified installers and a lifetime warranty on indirect water heaters. I hope my opinion is of assistance to people.

Date created: 2010-01-28 Name: Lori

"munchkin furnace"
I hate this product!! I am a single mom and don't know what to do. I have for the past few years had this unit serviced due to f9 and f11 errors. The local gas company won't service this product and plumbers charge a small fortune. How many times can a product be serviced before it needs to replaced? I have already replaced a part that cost over 500!

Date created: 2010-01-25 Name: C Timmins

"Munchkin Boiler # 199M ?"
Munchkin was praised highly by the heating contractor when we were switching over from oil heat to natural gas. What a big mistake! If the dealer loved the Munchkin, I can see why: He's working on it constantly. We, Munchkin owners are supporting the heating/plumbing services. No, they love Munchkin. Never again will we buy Munchkin. We have had error codes upon error codes, flame, panel, and now after less than four years, the cheap plastic fan blade is split and broken. Eleven hundred dollars later, we still have that piece of excrement in the basement, like a ticking time bomb, scheduled to misfire and self-destruct at regular intervals. Piece of crap!

Date created: 2010-01-02 Name: James Tomanelli

"Factory Rep. Install."
Our first unit (140) was purchased with the store more system. When it worked, it supplied hot water for domestic and radiant. The factory rep helped to install as it was a complete system and was utilized as a training tool. The first unit was replaced after countless visits from the installer and factory rep, leaking propane, control board failure and lock outs. This week was the first real issue with the new boiler since it was installed in February 2007. Keeping in mind that it only heats hot water for domestic from April-November. The problem was a degregated swirl plate. We expect failure each time the weather turns cold. I am heading out to check the exhaust for separation from intake. I would not recommend this system to anyone and am trying to figure out how best to cut my losses. It is frustrating to spend $600-$1,000 each year in repairs and maintenance just to hope for heat.

Date created: 2009-12-26 Name: David Bullock

"Poor Machine"
This machine was described as highly efficient. I heat with lpg and this has been efficient when it runs but I needed to clean the system annually and it needs to be reset frequently. I thought it was highly reliable. It is not and I would recommend that you pass on this brand if you have other options.

Date created: 2009-11-13 Name: d. Fleury

"munchkin frustration"
In five years we have had over nine service calls. I bought this furnace because we live in northern Michigan and wanted reliability. Now when we leave, a neighbor has to check to keep the house from freezing. About every other month the flame censer and igniter need cleaning. The reset button needs to be manually activated about that often also.